Slater on Payton, nailed hours before the news broke

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
If JJ is planing to replace MM why not just fire him first? this is a total mess and it might back fire on us
there is no guarantee Sean ( Malcolm in the Middle ) has the magic wand

Gaede

Reaction score
If JJ is planing to replace MM why not just fire him first? this is a total mess and it might back fire on us
there is no guarantee Sean ( Malcolm in the Middle ) has the magic wand

If Payton isn't returning to coaching this year, it's actually really important for the upcoming season that Jerry now give Mike a firm endorsement. Otherwise, everyone knows he is a lame duck who's out of here at the first sign of failure. That's no good for the coaches, and the players. How are you going to allure free agents, new coaches if they know everyone here is essentially on a one year leash?

Because of their relationship and all the rumors, Jerry and Sean basically have to squash the rumors now--or prove them true. Basically we have to **** or get off the pot.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Slater does not make up crap like certain insiders. She is also well connected with both the Saints and Cowboys organizations. I think it is 50/50 that Payton is our coach next season.

WOW..... Way to cover yourself..... I'm going to put myself out there now... There's 100% chance Payton is not our coach next year.... Payton is leaving the Saints for a year to rest and mentally reset (something MM said he supposedly did but I doubt he did. It was all talk).... He's not leaving the Saints to come to Dallas... He is on contract with the Saints until 2026....

I'm not bashing MM. I just think we have the wrong OC (If Jerry is so hellbent on the OC calling the plays).... As (I believe but could be wrong. I don't remember) Isaiah Stanback said on Talking Cowboys yesterday, KM is great at scheming plays but (in so many words) sucks at scheming players... Honestly, I don't think KM is all that at scheming plays even... He is very overrated and I'm not a bit surprised that nobody has called him back for a second interview for a HC position. Yes I was on the bandwagon the first year KM became our OC (just like most was) but I was able to clear my eyes over the last couple years and see the real KM.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
If Payton isn't returning to coaching this year, it's actually really important for the upcoming season that Jerry now give Mike a firm endorsement. Otherwise, everyone knows he is a lame duck who's out of here at the first sign of failure. That's no good for the coaches, and the players. How are you going to allure free agents, new coaches if they know everyone here is essentially on a one year leash?

Because of their relationship and all the rumors, Jerry and Sean basically have to sqush the rumors now--or prove them true. Basically we have to **** or get off the pot.
unless JJ wants to replace Mike with someone else ( not Sean) but i agree he has to end this circus it is not good for the team.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Looks like he is going to be out for a year. JJ will give MM one more year since he made playoffs..

JustChip

Reaction score
MM is the OFF Coord?
Payton coming would be as HC. But either as HC/OC and Moore is gone, or as a mentor to him and help him with getting the offense more creative and consistent. The later would be the most likely scenario in my opinion. It maintains some level of consistency for Dak and allows Jerry to keep his pet project.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Besides Payton—who had legit head coaching success there?

You can say Zimmer but he would’ve been considered a failure if he was hired in Dallas and his track record was the same as Minny.

Could be forgetting something
I thin your right. The more I look at that list all I really see is great coordinators.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Does anyone else think it's kind of weak for him to quit now that Jameis is his QB? Like he said he'd give it a shot but realized he's going to taint his legacy being stuck with a crap QB?

For me, it'll be telling if/when/where he comes back.
I think his underlying reason is the Saints are going to be around 70 mil over the cap.

pupulehaole

Reaction score
Payton coming would be as HC. But either as HC/OC and Moore is gone, or as a mentor to him and help him with getting the offense more creative and consistent. The later would be the most likely scenario in my opinion. It maintains some level of consistency for Dak and allows Jerry to keep his pet project.
So in your mind no matter what position he makes the offense better? fantasy land I love it

baltcowboy

Reaction score
WOW..... Way to cover yourself..... I'm going to put myself out there now... There's 100% chance Payton is not our coach next year.... Payton is leaving the Saints for a year to rest and mentally reset (something MM said he supposedly did but I doubt he did. It was all talk).... He's not leaving the Saints to come to Dallas... He is on contract with the Saints until 2026....

I'm not bashing MM. I just think we have the wrong OC (If Jerry is so hellbent on the OC calling the plays).... As (I believe but could be wrong. I don't remember) Isaiah Stanback said on Talking Cowboys yesterday, KM is great at scheming plays but (in so many words) sucks at scheming players... Honestly, I don't think KM is all that at scheming plays even... He is very overrated and I'm not a bit surprised that nobody has called him back for a second interview for a HC position. Yes I was on the bandwagon the first year KM became our OC (just like most was) but I was able to clear my eyes over the last couple years and see the real KM.
:laugh::laugh:Brother I don’t want to get my hopes up. The team from owner all the way down to the cheerleaders needs an attitude adjustment. I think a jerk like Payton would do the trick. I would give up the 1st round pick for him. Jerry would have to give up to much control so I agree it probably won’t happen. 50/50.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Does anyone else think it's kind of weak for him to quit now that Jameis is his QB? Like he said he'd give it a shot but realized he's going to taint his legacy being stuck with a crap QB?

For me, it'll be telling if/when/where he comes back.
Jameis was playing great before he got hurt too.

1,200 yards, 14 TDs, and 3 INTS while having the Saints at 5-2.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Payton can retire but pretty sure the Saints hold his rights. The Cowboys would have to send some kind of compensation to them. Anything less than a 1st round pick probably won't get him.

Zman5

Reaction score
That coaching staff makes me wonder if the Parcells regime was a failure. How come Jerrah didn’t hire any of those guys as Parcells replacement.

Because Jerry was in love with this guy.

350x16.jpg

JBS

Reaction score

Because of their relationship and all the rumors, Jerry and Sean basically have to squash the rumors now--or prove them true. Basically we have to **** or get off the pot.

everyone knows MM is a lame duck coach no matter what Jerry says. That won’t accomplish anything

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Because Jerry was in love with this guy.

350x16.jpg
Not to defend Kellen “Paper Boy” Moore but how did he go from a genius next head coach at mid season to a bum after a loss to San Francisco in the playoffs. The 49ers shut down Rodgers and their offensive genius head coach.