Slot WR our biggest need

Landryhat73

Reaction score
The receiver in the 1st that would excite me the most would be Ruggs. I don’t know if he will be as good as Lamb or Jeudy but speed kills. Watching him play he is a football player first, not a track star. It would awesome to add a a Tyreek Hill like player to the offense.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The receiver in the 1st that would excite me the most would be Ruggs. I don’t know if he will be as good as Lamb or Jeudy but speed kills. Watching him play he is a football player first, not a track star. It would awesome to add a a Tyreek Hill like player to the offense.
I think alot of people are getting the misconception that Ruggs is just a linear player. He is a complete WR

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think alot of people are getting the misconception that Ruggs is just a linear player. He is a complete WR

I think Ruggs is good, but he doesn’t have the traits to be a #1. He’s a smaller, speed WR that will be a good 2. The hit rate on that kind of WR in the 1st has also been awful.

Pass.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Ruggs is good, but he doesn’t have the traits to be a #1. He’s a smaller, speed WR that will be a good 2. The hit rate on that kind of WR in the 1st has also been awful.

Pass.
He isnt small though. 6' 190. Same exact size as Stephon Diggs

cnuball21

Reaction score
What does that have to do with them being the same size. Ruggs isnt a small WR. Its not like he is Tavon Austin or anything

That's part of my point...if the Vikings felt so good about Diggs why didn't they take him in the 1st?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's part of my point...if the Vikings felt so good about Diggs why didn't they take him in the 1st?
My point is that Ruggs size doesnt suggest that he is small for a starting NFL WR.

He is also bigger than Brandin Cooks

cnuball21

Reaction score
My point is that Ruggs size doesnt suggest that he is small for a starting NFL WR.

He is also bigger than Brandin Cooks

Sure, that's fair. His size isn't small for a starting NFL WR but it is for a top 20 pick. Cooks is the outlier, not the norm for smaller speed WRs.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sure, that's fair. His size isn't small for a starting NFL WR but it is for a top 20 pick. Cooks is the outlier, not the norm for smaller speed WRs.
Its a valid point that pure WR's have a higher bust rate. However I will its also more common for teams to reach on guys like Will Fuller and Tavon Austin who arent complete WR's. I dont view Ruggs as that.

Ross to me is a stanger case. His issue is been that he cant stay on the field. However the first year he played he had 7 TD's in his first 20 catches, and may have gone over 1K this year if he didnt get hurt. He has shown he can play when he is healthy, he just cant stay healthy. He has a similar build to Ruggs, however I dont have the education to make the comparison I would need to judge whether Ruggs could have similar injury issues

cnuball21

Reaction score
Its a valid point that pure WR's have a higher bust rate. However I will its also more common for teams to reach on guys like Will Fuller and Tavon Austin who arent complete WR's. I dont view Ruggs as that.

Ross to me is a stanger case. His issue is been that he cant stay on the field. However the first year he played he had 7 TD's in his first 20 catches, and may have gone over 1K this year if he didnt get hurt. He has shown he can play when he is healthy, he just cant stay healthy. He has a similar build to Ruggs, however I dont have the education to make the comparison I would need to judge whether Ruggs could have similar injury issues

But you're only looking at 3 guys, there's a longer list that haven't been hits.

Size/profile aside, how about production? We're talking about a kid that's never caught more than 50 balls in a season or had more than 800 yards playing with a 1st round QB.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But you're only looking at 3 guys, there's a longer list that haven't been hits.

Size/profile aside, how about production? We're talking about a kid that's never caught more than 50 balls in a season or had more than 800 yards playing with a 1st round QB.
Ok the two I missed since 2014 were Coleman and Dorsett. Both were definitely busts, but Dorsett was a massive reach and had buisness going in the first. Ruggs isnt a comparison

As for production, he is playing with another 10 WR this year, a guy that will probably be a first round pick next year, and another guy that will be at least a day 2 pick. Do you expect him to get well over 1000 with as much as Bama spreads the ball around.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

The players I would actually compare to Ruggs as a football player recently would be Coleman, Cooks, and Ross. One hit, one was terrible and one couldnt stay healthy.

Players like Austin, Fuller, Dorsett arent good comparisons for Ruggs as a player. Dorsett had only speed. Fuller had serious concentration issues, adding to the the fact that he wasnt even a first round talent. Fuller was almost as big a teach as Dorsett. Austin was like 5'8

I think you are too general in your comparison

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Plenty of choices out there. Just pick the best one.

BTW Gabriel has been in the NFL for 6 years. WR's that aren't any good don't play in this league anywhere near that long.
He has been production 1 out of those 6 years. He definitely isnt good enough to get starter level snaps here