Small QC tidbit.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
joshlitt said:
If this is true, it just shows what a big freaking mess we have running the show at Valley Ranch!

McKinney, TX in the hizzouse

Nah sup Josh....

That is the first thing I thought along with thinking that Jean Jaque Taylor and all the other uninformative writers in the local news missed or totally ignored another story... :eek:

- Mike G.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
But you didn't mention how much you had to drink while you were watching TXCN. :D

Nah, that's later on tonight :).

Nah, I dont drink. See there was a guy on another board that reported it earlier. Sports Talk on TXCN comes on at like 6:15 or 7 CST and then comes on again at like 11 PM or something. I just happen to catch the reshowing of it and she was talking about Deion and Quincy because she says she is very close with them through some of the charities they do in Dallas.

Said Quincy talked to her about his problems with Marijuana and was really bummed out that people thought he was a Cocaine addict.

Like I said before, if you are not a top notch player or a Pro Bowler and you are in a yearly battle for a starting job, you have to be on your best behavior and not give anyone a reason to cut you.

Carter felled to do that....

- Mike G.

WDN

Benched
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Hey Jimz31, when did Irvin say this? Was it on NFL Primetime or on local tv?

- Mike G.

I remember hearing it from Irvin, also. Just cant remember whether it was on Primetime or the Dan Patrick show. The comment was basically ignored by the other commentators.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
WDN said:
I remember hearing it from Irvin, also. Just cant remember whether it was on Primetime or the Dan Patrick show. The comment was basically ignored by the other commentators.

I see...

That is very consistent with how the local media acts in general. They never want to jeopordize their cozy relationship with the Cowboys.

Gawd....I wish members from the Philly and New York media would come down here, the articles would probably be alot more interesting and they dont seem to fear the franchises they report on :D .

Instead we are stuck with Apologist like Mickey Spags and guys like Jean Jaques Taylor who dont even understand the basics of the Salary Cap....

- Mike G.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
JDSmith said:
My reading comprehension is fine. If he were offered a contract by another team he wouldn't decline it due to the 'negativity' of the media - since the media in other cities was largely indifferent to QC.

Huge stretch. Carter's release was big news throughout the NFL, and the suggestion that it was drug-related caused a lot of rain to fall down on him nationally. Doesn't much matter, since Mikey has since clarified his original post to confirm your (mis)interpretation.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Outlaw Heroes said:
Huge stretch. Carter's release was big news throughout the NFL, and the suggestion that it was drug-related caused a lot of rain to fall down on him nationally. Doesn't much matter, since Mikey has since clarified his original post to confirm your (mis)interpretation.
Nice attempt at a save by putting the (mis) in there, but it was pretty obvious to everyone else in the thread that Mick was talking about the Cowboys. Maybe you need to bone up a bit on your reading comprehension. ;)

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
No disrespect to anyone, but should we really care about any of this? Carter had three up and down years here and he's gone. I wish he could have become a fixture at QB for us for years to come, but he wasn't consistent enough on and off the field to earn the job. Personally, I'm more concerned about the future of the QB position, not who's occupied it in the past.

Someone described his release as a "colossal mistake"? The only colossal mistake made was GM Jerry and Larry Lacewell reaching for the guy in the 2nd Round to begin with.

p1_

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
I see...

That is very consistent with how the local media acts in general. They never want to jeopordize their cozy relationship with the Cowboys.

Gawd....I wish members from the Philly and New York media would come down here, the articles would probably be alot more interesting and they dont seem to fear the franchises they report on :D .

Instead we are stuck with Apologist like Mickey Spags and guys like Jean Jaques Taylor who dont even understand the basics of the Salary Cap....

- Mike G.

two words: 1) Dale and 2) Hansen.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
JDSmith said:
Nice attempt at a save by putting the (mis) in there, but it was pretty obvious to everyone else in the thread that Mick was talking about the Cowboys. Maybe you need to bone up a bit on your reading comprehension. ;)

If it was "obvious" to others (and I don't suppose it was), it's only because they were operating under the same logical confusion as you. The fact that your conclusion ended up being correct doesn't change the fact that you inappropriately jumped to that conclusion.
:)

JDSmith

Reaction score
Waffle said:
No disrespect to anyone, but should we really care about any of this? Carter had three up and down years here and he's gone. I wish he could have become a fixture at QB for us for years to come, but he wasn't consistent enough on and off the field to earn the job. Personally, I'm more concerned about the future of the QB position, not who's occupied it in the past.

Someone described his release as a "colossal mistake"? The only colossal mistake made was GM Jerry and Larry Lacewell reaching for the guy in the 2nd Round to begin with.
No, I'd say it's a colossal mistake to cut your starting QB when you don't really have a viable plan to replace him. Because no matter how bad he was, the fact that he was the starter means he was better than anyone else on your roster. The Cowboys were simply HOPING that they could replace him with the guys we currently had on the roster, and as a result we ended up playing the whole season with a 41 year old QB who clearly faded down the stretch - even to the point of getting worse with the addition of a running game.

Luckily (and I use that term in the loosest sense) our D sucked to the point where it didn't really matter that our QB play was deteriorating. If we had fielded a good D all year and lost games due solely to poor QB play it would have been much more painful.

p1_

Reaction score
Waffle said:

Amen, and that entire draft was failed.

jay cee

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Nah, that's later on tonight :). Said Quincy talked to her about his problems with Marijuana and was really bummed out that people thought he was a Cocaine addict.

Like I said before, if you are not a top notch player or a Pro Bowler and you are in a yearly battle for a starting job, you have to be on your best behavior and not give anyone a reason to cut you.

Carter felled to do that....

- Mike G.
totally agree with you there Mike. I know a lot of people don't have a problem with smoking marijuana. And although I have never tried it, I wouldn't have a problem if it was legalized. I would possibly even try it myself.

But Carter screwed up, he knew that he should not have been using the stuff. I don't believe marijuana is as addictive as other drugs like cocaine. so I don't feel the least bit sorry for him for not getting the help he may have needed to insure that he did not use it anymore.

That said I would stil love to see him go on and become a good qb.

Jersey

Reaction score
Vinny/Q, flip a coin, you end up with the same record & stats. Both have proven to be adequate at best. Neither would ever lead us to a Super Bowl. Just 1 and done in the playoffs at best. Let's move on already.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dale said:
If the Cowboys truly tried to bring him back, then they made a colossal mistake by releasing him. Considering more and more reporters are coming forth with this story, it does make you wonder. Quincy wasn't the answer in Dallas, but it seems to say something about our other quarterbacks' performance in camp if we tried to bring him back so shortly after releasing him. :confused:
I wonder if they tried to cut him and bring him back under a different contract with the drug issue more highly pronounced to make it such that another failed test would void his deal?

I also wonder if the fact QC handled it well saying he immediately wanted to be back in Dallas, not just the league, was part of them talking to him about resigning.

In the end you have to believe with all of these reports there has to be some truth to it.

Michael Irvin is about as straight a shooter as you will see this side of Barkley and he was pretty certian. You can tell he feels the team gave up a couple of wins going with VT over QC. After watching VT the last 5 games I can't disagree. His INTs are just as high and we don't have the ability to avoid the sack or make running yards.

In the end tho I don't think it will matter much. QC wasn't a franchise guy. He was certianly good enough to win a SB with a traditional BP team but so are lots of other guys including probably even ancient VT. Long before the Ravens, BP perfected having the leagues best defense and punting game.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it was on Monday Night Countdown when Irvin said this.

10 minutes later, Mort comes on and says that he had "just talked to" people with the Cowboys and they said that it wasn't true.

Now, I would believe a person that is closer to the players and the team than I would a reporter like Mort. What did Mort expect them to say? Yeah, we tried to re-sign him but he turned US down."? No, it's all spin-control.....it's been like that with the Dallas Cowboys for a LONG time.

Yes, I think that they DID try to re-sign him.....I think they tried to re-sign him to a contract that left the Cowboys with alot of "outs" if you will. They probably even negotiated and it more than likely was NOT in QC's best interest to sign, ref. the details of the contract. Of course, this is all speculation by me as far as that negotiating and details of the contract. :p

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
If I remember correctly, it was on Monday Night Countdown when Irvin said this.

10 minutes later, Mort comes on and says that he had "just talked to" people with the Cowboys and they said that it wasn't true.

Now, I would believe a person that is closer to the players and the team than I would a reporter like Mort. What did Mort expect them to say? Yeah, we tried to re-sign him but he turned US down."? No, it's all spin-control.....it's been like that with the Dallas Cowboys for a LONG time.

Yes, I think that they DID try to re-sign him.....I think they tried to re-sign him to a contract that left the Cowboys with alot of "outs" if you will. They probably even negotiated and it more than likely was NOT in QC's best interest to sign, ref. the details of the contract. Of course, this is all speculation by me as far as that negotiating and details of the contract. :p

Damn, must have missed this particular segment on Monday Night Countdown. Im thinking this was just prior to the 1st Skins game?

Yeah, I wasn't trying to start anything on the board, but it looks like 2 or 3 threads have spawned up because of it. I just like keeping tabs on players who were cut/traded during the offseason (Hutch, Carter, Blade, Stewart, Galloway, Bryant etc etc) just to see how they pan out.

I just wish we would do what everyone else does and just draft a guy already or at least let the young prospects we have play?

The only reason I am watching tommorrow night's game is because guys like Keith Davis and others are getting a chance to play.

I have already written about 98% of my Season in Review Article because the FREAKIN season is already over and I give Parcells a BIG FAT F for the season.

I will add, what I like about this board and about 2 other Cowboys Boards I personally post at, is that alot you guys are extremely open minded and are not quick to close threads or anything like that when a particular subject is not popular among the majority.

I wrote this on another board earlier today:

mickgreen58 said:
Yeah, lots of people feel Quincy was not treated fairly and even make the claim that he had it the worst because of race. Now as a black man, I do know there is a portion of Cowboys fans that did dislike him because of his skin color. I go to about 5-6 games a year and I have gotten into it with them. But I think the majority of the fans in Dallas would have loved Carter if he simply put up good numbers and was a good quarterback.

I wrote a good article back with the ABC/NBC battle was at its peak and most vicious point to show everyone how some of the past QBs in Dallas were treated by their fans here in dallas...

BEING QB OF AMERICA'S TEAM:A LITTLE HISTORY

The main reason I like this board and 2 others is most people are consistent, which I was really looking to see once Vinny started *** up. There is one board in particular I stopped posting at 2 days ago because people were not consistent. Here everyone that ripped Carter for poor play were equally as critical of Vinny Testeverde, and sometimes worse.

Much props to the people of this board

- Mike G.

Reaction score
I saw that interview too M, as well as the statement by Irvin, and you know what I took out of both?

That BOTH parties were just parroting what they were TOLD by who knows who, Carter, his agent, his dealer, who knows? But it's ludicrous to believe that guys like Jones and Parcells, who are SO attuned to their public image, would go, "your fired, naaaaaaa, we were just kiddin', come on back!!"

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Yeah, lots of people feel Quincy was not treated fairly and even make the claim that he had it the worst because of race. Now as a black man, I do know there is a portion of Cowboys fans that did dislike him because of his skin color..
That's pretty damn sad if you ask me.