CFZ Smart move will let both Zeke/Pollard go!

sacase

Reaction score
then lets draft one in the 2nd round (although Pollard not statistically top 8, he could have been with more carries if not for zeke, was a 4th round pick....)
but we should never hand a RB a second contract unless its extremely reasonable and less than 3% of the cap.
In fairness Zeke would have been top 5 or even top 3 without pollard.. But the point I was referring to is if you want a good back I would say 25-45 is the sweet spot to get a good RB.

Cmac

Reaction score
The position is devalued in this league, where any back rarely sees a 2nd contract, the ones who got them, have really fallen off or cannot stay healthy
...don't mean a player can't pursue more salary. Now what?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
yep .. same type of good ole boy favortisim that was DE Tyrone Crawford here for 9 million per year his last 2 seasons ....even though he was clearly done and spent up.
Our only hope is when they do player evaluations they will see that he is done and not give him the injury excuse they usually go with.

Cmac

Reaction score
As a rule, what you draft with college RBs is pretty much what you see in college but you don't know until they DO IT. This is why I'm all for keeping Pollard one more year or signing a vet. Remember the name Joseph Randle ???
Joseph Randle.......we saw what happened there. You mean "Meat on the Bone" Randle or "Here come the Cops" Randle? All it did was show us Not For Long (NFL).

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Pollard's injury is not an achilles tendon tear or ACL tear .. it was a fibula break, a hair line fracture ... in fact from what i've read the fibula can actually heal on itself .
The high ankle " sprain" was more of an issue for surgery because the tendon was more severe strain than the fibula

Sports medicine doctor explains Pollard's injury and recovery

anytime I hear ligaments, it scares me

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This board would throw a fit if the Cowboys drafted Gibbs at 26. Especially if we keep Zeke. I have a bad feeling he will be here next season.
We don’t know that yet, they aren’t going to say publicly they are going to release him

cnuball21

Reaction score
This board would throw a fit if the Cowboys drafted Gibbs at 26. Especially if we keep Zeke. I have a bad feeling he will be here next season.
I’m fairly confident he will be…maybe on a reduced contract but it still hurts the team.

Drafting a RB in the 1st would only make it worse.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We don’t know that yet, they aren’t going to say publicly they are going to release him
I know the Joneses always play this song and dance. They don’t want to embarrass Zeke. I trusted Dez and TO more when decided to move on from them so you never know.

Cmac

Reaction score
He can, but teams aren’t handing out big extensions as they did in the past
Understand....but if you're leading the league in something good, a time or two under a rookie contract, you can expect some extra zeroes behind the number for the next contract. Or hello new team.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I’m fairly confident he will be…maybe on a reduced contract but it still hurts the team.

Drafting a RB in the 1st would only make it worse.
I would love to know their end of the year player evaluations and what the team scouts really think of Zeke.

Cmac

Reaction score
I''m confused......given the praise TPollard got all year......you gonna drop him like that? Can we see the recovery or not, first?

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Tag Pollard let Zeke walk. You can still draft an impact player at RB and let Pollard go the following year. He’ll be playing for a contract in ‘23 so you know he’ll be going all out for a payday, post ankle injury. Pollard will have a lot to prove. Get the most from him and then let him go as your new RB moves into his second year, then draft another…

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I would do a 2 year deal in a heartbeat. But Pollard wouldn't ever agree to that.

There are only so many draft picks. Do the Cowboys really want to use 2 on a RB? I don't.
I agree, I definitely don't want to spend 2 draft picks on just RBs! The team needs more than just RBs. You find a way to hold onto Pollard and part with Zeke.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Cut Zeke and trade up a few slots in Round 1 to draft Bijan Robinson, RB Texas. Guy reminds me soooo much of young Emmitt Smith. Great instincts, follows his blockers very well, shifts on a dime, and great hands in the passing game. Instant depth in running game.

quickccc

Reaction score
In my opinion, no need to discuss Zeke Elliot, he is finished and shouldn't come back in any capacity.

Pollard is a whole other discussion, he is a true homerun hitter where he can score anytime he touches the football, could even be better if the coaches allow him to be the guy, involve him in the screen/passing games. However, he is coming off serious injury that can affect his greatest strength-his explosiveness.

Extending running backs has been disasterous in today's game. Almost all running backs with their 2nd contracts fall off the cliff, we seen it with Zeke, Gurley and Bell. Look at the playoff teams, most have running back committees that are very cap friendly or have dual threat running backs that take on most of the load.

Yes, Pollard doesn't have much wear and tear, but they can draft multiple backs that can give them similar production at 1/3 the price.

This year is a very talented, deep, running back class, select one high (1-3) and another one on day 3. Could always sign a cheap veteran in fa as well.
If we discover our own Kamara. .and he is showing to be ultimate difference maker .i'm for locking him up for years to come ..

.And i'm getting him complimentary backs to where we are not loading and pounding him down
as if he's depended upon to carry the offense ... that's how those backs you mentioned end up for the most part get beat and pounded down to a pulp until they become
useless ...zeke .. .chris johnson ... Shady McCoy ..Landalinson, etc...Gurley already had a chronic knee problem per college Bell is not a conventional back so he could
only be successful in one system.

If i have Nick Chubb, ..i'm gonna have to have my Kareem Hunt types to complement and spell him accordingly,
..i prefer to go NFL draft with even fresher legs than used vets

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
We have a RB duo that works well together Sure lets cut both of them and the entire Oline that is the way to build a contender Scotty beam me up

RonWashington

Reaction score
Round 3-4 Zack Evans ex TCU now OLE Miss back or a Jeff Wilson Jr FA Dolphin team either one with Malik Davis who I would actually give a shot to sharing the workload in 23. Running back by committee and actually use a back in the passing game ( hello like Gainwell in Philly is used ) . Tony Pollard should have been a downfield target .

Clean house in the running back dept take whatever comp pick Pollard brings and turn 21 loose .