SNF: What will the Dallas Cowboys' record be after week 10?

plasticman

Reaction score
5-4

There are always teams that played well the previous season but are unable to sustain that success. It could be injury, the schedule, the loss of key coaches, or several other factors.

Could the 49ers lose McCaffrey for several weeks and continue to win? Will everything go right for the Lions again?

The Cowboys will struggle in some areas but will improve during the 2nd half. I wouldn't be surprised if they went 10-7 and still ended up being a better team than the previous seasons.

It's not how you begin that's important, it's how you end.

plymkr

Reaction score
And if this team goes 0-2 to start, the gorilla on their back turns into King Kong
I feel a lot depends on those first 2 games. Realistically we should contend with the Browns and beat the Saints. I got to honest I’m more concerned about the toxic atmosphere of everyone playing on lame duck contracts more so then the actual talent of the team. I think we’re capable of playing with anyone. You know any given Sunday but we have talent on this team and if we play to our abilities I feel we can compete with anyone.

But- Jerry and his offspring have created an unhealthy atmosphere with this approach to the offseason. I feel if we start off slow the wheels could come flying off due to emotional issues and locker room not being in it. I mean how do you work for someone who isn’t doing their part. Jerry has really screwed up this offseason.

So TLDR version, if we go 2-0 I’m think 12-13 win season. 1-1 and I’m thinking 8 or 9 wins. 0-2 and I’m thinking the locker room is already lost and we’ll implode like the Eagles did last year, but starting in October and it’ll be 5 win season.

I think 2024 is more about mental toughness than talent because Jerry has already put the team at an emotional disadvantage with this offseason. JMO.

plymkr

Reaction score
I think Detroit steps back into the NFC Championship again.
I hope so cuz I’d like to see an Eminem vs Taylor Swift Super Bowl with Eminem winning and Taylor going home to cry in her fortune and seas of fans.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I think Detroit steps back into the NFC Championship again.
That’s what I heard about them heading into 1992. That’s what people were saying about the Jaguars after almost beating the Patriots in 2017. I need to see more before I crown the Lions as anything more than a team that had a nice 1 year run.

I’m picking Green Bay to win the division and I wouldn’t be shocked if the Bears finish 2nd in that division.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Are all the losing record predictions is what they really think…or is it … what they want…. For bragging rights.
I ask because most of the time I truly wonder if they want the team to be successful.

I can see some 6-3 or 5-4 types predictions , maybe even 4-5 if some injuries occur. but the 2-7 or 3-6. Come on. This team did not get that much worse. And the teams we are playing did not get that much better. How did they do in the draft, how many players lost in FA, and did they replace the ones they lost.

Probably not many followed nor looked at what those teams did.
I'm saying 2-7 because I've seen how Dak performs against uper tier defenses with good qbs. It's bad. Real bad. Niners, Bills, GB ring a bell? And GB was really a middling defense.

We lost an all pro LT and a solid C. I know there's a lot of people thinking losing Tyron for Guyton is going to be fine but that's more based on hope than anything. Beebe might be the answer at C, but we don't know that for sure.

If history is an indicator, our turnovers on defense that helped us win so many games last year are about to evaporate under Zimmer. Defense will probably still be solid with the talent we have but I don't expect it to be better.

I hope we win the SB, but that's always the hope. Realistically looking at this schedule, I can see them winning as many as 4 and as few as 1 over that stretch. They better beat the Saints because 0-3 looks real possible if not. And I think the wheels would all start flying off at that point.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I feel a lot depends on those first 2 games. Realistically we should contend with the Browns and beat the Saints. I got to honest I’m more concerned about the toxic atmosphere of everyone playing on lame duck contracts more so then the actual talent of the team. I think we’re capable of playing with anyone. You know any given Sunday but we have talent on this team and if we play to our abilities I feel we can compete with anyone.

But- Jerry and his offspring have created an unhealthy atmosphere with this approach to the offseason. I feel if we start off slow the wheels could come flying off due to emotional issues and locker room not being in it. I mean how do you work for someone who isn’t doing their part. Jerry has really screwed up this offseason.

So TLDR version, if we go 2-0 I’m think 12-13 win season. 1-1 and I’m thinking 8 or 9 wins. 0-2 and I’m thinking the locker room is already lost and we’ll implode like the Eagles did last year, but starting in October and it’ll be 5 win season.

I think 2024 is more about mental toughness than talent because Jerry has already put the team at an emotional disadvantage with this offseason. JMO.
I agree with pretty much everything you said.

I would just add, that while JJ has turned this offseason into a cluster-cuss, in a way I understand him.

From his perspective he has invested significantly in contracts and gotten nothing back in terms of ROI.

The GB debacle was just horrific, so to have more players asking for more money following that display? I kinda get his defiance and his unwillingness to continue to throw money down a hole.

I just think that if that is where he is at, start cutting, trading, and firing guys. He has instead viewed these lame duck situations as sunk costs and is willing to let things “play out”— meaning he wants guys to play under the money he is already paying vs sitting on a couch and collecting a paycheck or getting paid additionally by another team.

It definitely feels like 2024 and 2025 are lost years due to the financial structure of this team. He will go into salesman mode at TC— and the media will tout the “talent” on the roster— but I think you are 100% right:

This team is not mentally tough enough and adversity likely reveals the underlying toxicity and selfishness in the locker room.

Cowboys!

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I think the only thing that could save the Cowboys is if some of the teams on their schedule have off years. I'm actually shocked that so many have us with a winning record. The Cowboys play awful against contenders. The one saving grace is if the NFC East is still bad.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jazz, look at the schedule, dude.
-Okay, Cleveland, I'll admit, I hope Amari Cooper balls out that game. But I'll be rooting for Dallas every game they play.
-Frankly, they better defeat the Saints and Giants.
No excuses.
-The Ravens, they are an elite franchise. Top to bottom.
If Dallas defeats the Ravens, I'll be shocked but happy.
-Travel to Steeltown and Russell Wilson. This will be a tough game for Dallas. TJ Watt probably wins this game.
- Detroit will be incredibly pumped for this one. Also, I bet
it will feel like a home game for them. The new darling
team of the NFL.
-After a bye they travel to SF where they lost 42-10 last year. The 49ers have owned the Dak-led Cowboys.

I just went the first 7 games. Pessimistic, of course, to you,
but the past three years, and especially last year, has shown Dallas comes up lame against contenders.
I said 2-5 but maybe they Pittsburgh or Cleveland. I don't think they'll win both. Baltimore, Detroit and SF are legitimate picks for a SB. I predict Dallas loses all three.
So, maybe 3-4. Anything higher than 4-3 predictions would be very Pollyannish.
I think Detroit takes a step back.
I think all those teams take a step back.
Yes it seems Dallas may well take a step back as well.

Steelers are not as good as their record showed they were. They were lucky to make the playoffs the past few years or so.
Maybe Baltimore stays the same, but I still say they go and Lamar goes most of the time. To me he is or can be too inconsistent a good part of the time.

Edit:
I just looked. Just in FA, I did not look at the draft yet.
Nor did I really compare if what they lost vs. what they gained, other than a quick look. Seems all lost better players than gained.
Of course the holds true for many successful teams.

SF lost 8 players, gained 5
Detroit, lost 3 gained 4
Pittsburgh lost 3 gained 3
Cleveland lost 7 gain 3
Baltimore lost 12 gamine 2, which the biggest of course was Henry. 12 players lost in FA, and signed 2, and our fans complain about replacing a few starters.
12 is a lot of players to lose in FA. Last year SF lost 9 players, this year 8. Their depth took a hit.

Last edited:

shabazz

Reaction score
Doom and Gloom from most on here.
I don't understand why they are so negative?

We kicked tail in FA and clearly picked up players in their prime.

Killed the draft and also seeing the 2023 draft class become effective starters

Retained all of last years starters AND resigned our 3 most important players.

These key moves allowed us to not only gain ground on the Niners; we in fact have surpassed them.

I've had it up to here with the misguided negativity!!

doomsday9084

Reaction score
@ Cleveland - Loss
v NO - Win
v Bal - Toss up
@ NY - Win
@ Pitt - Toss up
v Det - Toss up
@ SF - Loss
@ ATL - Win
v Phil - Toss up

So I got 3 wins, 2 losses and 4 toss ups. I'm thinking 5-4 or 4-5.

I wouldn't forget that Dallas does really well at home and poorly on the road, particularly on grass. Going away from Quinn and his speed based defense might nullify some of the issues on grass. Regardless, Dallas doesn't travel well. Last year 8-0 at home, 4-5 on the road. Previous year 8-1 and 4-4.

The second half of the schedule looks much better. Would be funny to see the team start 3-6 or something, bench Dak and then watch Lance "do well" against much weaker teams.

shabazz

Reaction score
@ Cleveland - Loss
v NO - Win
v Bal - Toss up
@ NY - Win
@ Pitt - Toss up
v Det - Toss up
@ SF - Loss
@ ATL - Win
v Phil - Toss up

I wouldn't forget that Dallas does really well at home and poorly on the road, particularly on grass. Going away from Quinn and his speed based defense might nullify some of the issues on grass. Regardless, Dallas doesn't travel well. Last year 8-0 at home, 4-5 on the road. Previous year 8-1 and 4-4.

The second half of the schedule looks much better. Would be funny to see the team start 3-6 or something, bench Dak and then watch Lance "do well" against much weaker teams.
Baltimore and Pitt a tossup?

Those 2 teams are known for running the ball strong AND stopping the run and they've added FA players to improve that

Guess what 2 things we don't do well?.....we've added an old LB and Zeke.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't understand why they are so negative?

We kicked tail in FA and clearly picked up players in their prime.

Killed the draft and also seeing the 2023 draft class become effective starters

Retained all of last years starters AND resigned our 3 most important players.

These key moves allowed us to not only gain ground on the Niners; we in fact have surpassed them.

I've had it up to here with the misguided negativity!!
They retained Rowdy. The catalyst of the downfall. He started in 1996. Enough said. The true jinx.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Baltimore and Pitt a tossup?

Those 2 teams are known for running the ball strong AND stopping the run and they've added FA players to improve that

Guess what 2 things we don't do well?.....we've added an old LB and Zeke.
Pittsburgh really wasn't that good last year. Maybe getting Wilson will put everything together. Maybe it won't. That's why I put them in toss up. I tend to lean "loss" here but I have difficulty banking on losing to a team that as of last year, wasn't that great.

Baltimore is a very good team but its in Dallas. As I noted, I think the home / road stuff matters.

shabazz

Reaction score
Pittsburgh really wasn't that good last year. Maybe getting Wilson will put everything together. Maybe it won't. That's why I put them in toss up. I tend to lean "loss" here but I have difficulty banking on losing to a team that as of last year, wasn't that great.

Baltimore is a very good team but its in Dallas. As I noted, I think the home / road stuff matters.
Pittsburgh has had one of the best offseasons with FA and the draft....Wilson is the last guy I'm worried about. It's the run games and defenses of the AFC North that concern me......I hope I'm wrong.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With a HC in the last year of his contract, the biggest danger for this team in 2024 will be getting off to a bad start. If this team is 3-6 or even 4-5, the “quit on the lame duck head coach” comes into play.

Hope it doesn’t happen but it could be a Wade Phillips Part II situation.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
@ Cleveland - Loss
v NO - Win
v Bal - Toss up
@ NY - Win
@ Pitt - Toss up
v Det - Toss up
@ SF - Loss
@ ATL - Win
v Phil - Toss up

And they went 7-2 on the road in 2021.