So confused about Dak

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Geez, you don't think it could be that he's a 3rd year player.. Just coming off a sophmore "slump" and trying to get his confidence back?

I swear, Cowboys fans think like spoiled children sometimes.

Like everything else in life, nothing good comes without a little patience.

Which explains nothing but thanx for playing.

conner01

Reaction score
What happened is that we allowed Dak to play to his strengths: read option, play action, designed QB runs, and a few deep shots.

Dak running opens up the passing game, which opens up Zeke, which opens up Dak's running game.
That is a big part of it for sure but biggest impact came from the jags failing to adjust their defense to take away cole as others have
I loved the game plan and execution yesterday but even last year when teams took away our slot guy we struggled
If we are to continue to win we have to find an answer to that
Running Dak some helps but figuring out how to get another receiver involved is crucial

TheGoat73

Reaction score
What happened is that we allowed Dak to play to his strengths: read option, play action, designed QB runs, and a few deep shots.

Dak running opens up the passing game, which opens up Zeke, which opens up Dak's running game.

Make those opposing LB’s and safeties work for a living. Keep em scratching their heads like their kids brought home lice.

Make the other team have to go a half-man down in coverage bc they need to play a spy.

Yeah Dak might get hurt running. He’s just as likely to get hurt in the pocket if we are Garrett-predictable.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Shocked you can’t see it. Dak was allowed to play his game and the OL was much, much better. Dak will never be a great thrower but he is good enough. His toughness, mobility, and leadership is what makes him a good QB. The guy can play. He just can’t play when he has no protection and the morons running the offense try to crowbar him into Romo’s Offense. All you haters are going to eat crow.
I agree

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Biggest thing that helped him, the offensive line at least in pass protection by FAR played their best game. Dak had a great game, but their was a few times he was late to recognize route development and instead of throwing guys open they had to be completely open, but luckily he had time for this to happen, and this unfortunately will not always be the case. The Jaguars offense being completely putrid helped us as well on both sides of the ball.
Dak was letting the ball go and stepping up into the pocket....Dak needs to continue to do that. in prior games he would pull the ball down and start to scramble.....that leads to the OL looking better, but in terms of pressure, it was no different than previous games....1/2 second makes a world of difference

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There's nothing to be confused about in my opinion. This is the same guy we've seen since day 1. When the play calling utilizes his legs, mainly through options, PA bootlegs, and designed rollouts, he is far more successful. When the playcalling is very vanilla and they treat him like Romo, he sucks. A great QB like Rodgers or Brees or Romo can make any coach and any playcalling look good. Dak needs good playcalling and good play design to utilize his skill set properly and make him look good.
so basically we need to devise a college game plan for him to succeed. how long will that last?

ZekeTrain

Reaction score
Jason Garrett football.

We play elite, top flight teams tough and beat them (KC last year) then struggle with lower tier teams.

I think you are not far off. I think JG is conservative by nature and against better teams he knows we have to take more risks so we open things up. Only to close it back down when playing worse teams because he doesn't think we have to be so bold. Which allows terrible teams to stay in the game.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Uh, wake up?

Dak is a good QB man. He would have hung 300 on these guys easy if they let him. He made a couple throws that didn't count too like the Gallup TD. Or the blake jarwin drop. He's one of the best players in the league when the game plan is called correct around him. He's doing all this with one of the worst receiving corps in football (ever). What do you mean who was this guy? This is by large; who he is. More of his games in the NFL than any other kind feature him doing what he did today; throwing a couple TD's, not throwing an INT, being over 65% completion... and winning.

It doesn't matter if people take notice and start appreciating. He's going to be here and be the guy over the long haul. There will be losses but many more wins. He is a guy who makes plays consistently. There will be weeks when it doesn't work out because that's the damn NFL. Every game is it's own entity.
he is not one of the best players in the league, even with the proper game plan.... I can list 15 QBs that I would still take over Dak, even on his best day.

and we can't continue to run a college option game plan and continue to expect this level of success, at some point, someone will level him and defenses will neutralize him. he has to learn to throw from the pocket for all the other stuff to be effective.

I can't see long term success with him at the helm

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak is the same guy as he was in 2016 but better. What happened was defenses figured out how to defend him and our OC was very slow to adjust. Idiot fans just try to put it all on Dak because they have no clue.
I agree, he has the same crappy throwing motion and inaccuracy that he had in 2016.....he didn't progress but defenses did. he didn't stay ahead of the game.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I don't understand why people are confused. The o line actually played its best game all year. Wrs other than beasley still weren't of much help tho. Special teams made a play. Defense had 2 turnovers. Defense didn't give up 450 yards of offense, didn't let them have time of possession advantage. The defense played it's best game all year. This is how we will look if we play like a team because Dak will make smart decisions and not turn the ball over.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't understand why people are confused. The o line actually played its best game all year. Wrs other than beasley still weren't of much help tho. Special teams made a play. Defense had 2 turnovers. Defense didn't give up 450 yards of offense, didn't let them have time of possession advantage. The defense played it's best game all year. This is how we will look if we play like a team because Dak will make smart decisions and not turn the ball over.

Dak also ran the ball for 82 yards breaking Staubach's franchise single game rushing record for a QB. The difference is that instead of hanging out in the pocket yesterday, he took off and ran.

Brax

Reaction score
Dak also ran the ball for 82 yards breaking Staubach's franchise single game rushing record for a QB. The difference is that instead of hanging out in the pocket yesterday, he took off and ran.
I think the record is still 84 yards

Jimbo69

Reaction score
As has been stated the whole team played very well against a flat jags team that looked as though they hadn't bothered to watch tape on how to beat the cowboys. Dak ran effectively when needed. Dak for the first time in a few games found Beasley, who for some reason the jags decided to allow the freedom of the stadium to. This allowed the running game to flourish.
We will know at the end of the season what Dak is. Today his play together with an all round good team performance got a great win.
I still think that unless Dak improves his accuracy and pocket awareness ( his legs will not always win games) we will not achieve consistant improvement but time will tell.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What the heck happened? I'm still processing this win. The defense has been good all year, but how can a team look so clueless on offense for 5 weeks and then put 40 points on the NFL's top ranked defense? Is this a harbinger of things to come or was the coaching just that bad for 5 weeks and now they figured it out?

My biggest question though is who was that guy at QB and will we see him next week.........

Where Dak struggles is when he has to play fast because teams are bringing extra pass rushers. There is no way that the offensive line can pick up every defender on blitzes so it is up to the quarterback to read it pre-snap and know where he's going with the ball. It is also up to the receivers to have made the same read and the coordinator to have pre-set plays to counter the blitz.

If teams start hitting Prescott with blitz pressure, his technique gets sloppy and he misses passes even when the pressure doesn't get to him. Not being able to complete passes in those situations just encourages defenses to continue overloading the line.

Jacksonville chose to primarily try to beat us with its front four because that is the Jags' style of play. Our offensive line can handle four-man pressure pretty well. And yes, our receivers can get open when Prescott is given enough time.

The difference between a good NFL starting quarterback and a great one is how they are able to deal with pressure, from recognizing it (which Dak hasn't done well), to countering it (which Dak and Linehan haven't done well) to not getting thrown off by it (which Dak hasn't done well).

blueblood70

Reaction score
What the heck happened? I'm still processing this win. The defense has been good all year, but how can a team look so clueless on offense for 5 weeks and then put 40 points on the NFL's top ranked defense? Is this a harbinger of things to come or was the coaching just that bad for 5 weeks and now they figured it out?

My biggest question though is who was that guy at QB and will we see him next week.........
scot linehan has ADD in playcalling..

Kaiser

Reaction score
So, i guess you missed the 82 yards rushing? That was the difference. Linehan finally unleashed the guy. Dak is not a classic pocket QB. He's a dual threat QB and we need to continue letting him take off running when he's got 20 yards of open field in front of him. His willingness to run got the Jags defense off balance and had a snowball effect.

The majority of Dak's rushing yards were him running on a pass play after his WRs were covered. Not many were on designed run plays and i don't think they ran an option play a single time. How is that "unleashing" Dak's running?

The key issue with Dak is when he overreacts to pressure and the OL executed well, giving him plenty of time. That increases his execution and accuracy dramatically. IMO that is the difference.