So I Was Visiting That Other Forum

superpunk

Reaction score
adamknite;2426393 said:
Then tell me this.. How come when a player dives at the ball hits it back to his teammate standing on the 2 yard line... the ball is spotted on the 2 yard line, and not 1 inch line? It's because it's where the ball was downed, not where it was touched.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/kicksfromscrimmage

The ball was neither dead or in possession of either team.
In addition, think of guys who might catch the ball in play, but then their momentum carries them into the end zone before they can throw the ball back into the playing field. Always ruled a touchback.

Skins fans, if you're clutching at that straw you're really displaying a lack of knowledge.

And knowledge is power.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Hostile;2425410 said:
One poster said he hoped the next time we play that the Refs are more unbiased.

I think he wasn't talking about the penalties. There were some let's say questionable calls that if they went the other way i would not have argued either. For example Barbers TD i think he was not in. Even after reviewing the play they gave the TD to him. Still i think if they would have said second and short none would have argued.

There were some other calls i don't remember anymore but they were similar (no penalties).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
panchucko;2426337 said:
Hos, hope you don't mind, I had to put 10 minutes into your pic.
r.jpg
Dude, that is fantastic.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Extreme;2426369 said:
Bad calls aren't limited to penalties. If you can say with a straight face that the ball wasn't down at the 1 and not a touchback. you're a blind homer. The rule states that on a punt, as soon as the opposing team touches the ball, it is dead where the ball is touched. Cartwright touched it down at the 1, rolled over, then had it kicked into him while he was in the endzone. Triplett rulled he touched the ball in the endzone, referring to the ball hitting his ***, which was also wrong, because even if he had not touched it, it would have been dead where it was kicked by the Skins, which was also outside of the endzone.

Not true...as pointed out by others. I've seen this happen many times. Player A gets downfield and tries to catch the ball...he misses...the ball bounces off him into the endzone....touchback....always...

Also, late in the 1st half, Portis was clearly out of bounds when they said he wasn't and the clock continued to roll, forcing a FG instead of going for the endzone a few times.

No, he wasn't clearly OB. He was touched before he rolled OB. And, given the fact that you guys couldn't move the ball well on us all game....I think assuming you were going to score is a bit of a stretch.

Also, the officials gave you five extra yards on that play. The ball should've been placed around the forty-three yard line....not the thirty-eight. The officials were in a bad spot to spot the ball....

I don't think either one would have meant much in the outcome of the game, but both were huge plays, and both calls were wrong.

I can point out a couple as well that favored you.

There was a huge hold on your TD. Hamlin was held and not allowed to go cover the back out of the backfield. The ten yard penalty possibly makes you kick a FG.

We have a third down in the third Q. There's a call against us for holding, or I think it may have been illegal formation...anyway, Romo threw a strike to Austin that was negated by said penalty. On that same play, Smoot tackled Austin by pulling his facemask down....by rule, the facemask (unsportsmanlike) would've been enforced giving us a first down.

And, we've pointed out the fact that there were at least two intentional grounding calls that could've been called against you.

It works both ways.

As officiating goes, that was a pretty fairly called game. Mistakes were made...as they always are....but they were evenly distributed.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Extreme;2426369 said:
Bad calls aren't limited to penalties. If you can say with a straight face that the ball wasn't down at the 1 and not a touchback. you're a blind homer. The rule states that on a punt, as soon as the opposing team touches the ball, it is dead where the ball is touched. Cartwright touched it down at the 1, rolled over, then had it kicked into him while he was in the endzone. Triplett rulled he touched the ball in the endzone, referring to the ball hitting his ***, which was also wrong, because even if he had not touched it, it would have been dead where it was kicked by the Skins, which was also outside of the endzone.
Know the rules of the game before you bring this stuff to me. Touching the ball does not make it dead. You have to control it. Cartwright did not and the other Commanders players hit it back into him.

Also, late in the 1st half, Portis was clearly out of bounds when they said he wasn't and the clock continued to roll, forcing a FG instead of going for the endzone a few times.
Out of bounds is not called the same way it used to be. If a player's forward progress has been halted before they go out of bounds they keep the clock moving. Every team has this called exactly the same.

I don't think either one would have meant much in the outcome of the game, but both were huge plays, and both calls were wrong.
No they weren't. I'd bet a nickel apiece that Mike Pereira will say they refs got the calls right.

You're the one being the blind homer.