So Sick of The Shawne Merriman Hype

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I will be the first to admit that I do not watch many Charger games. I know very little about Merriman- but when did he become LT and Butkus rolled into one? Despite not having to change positions or drop into coverage he notched only two more sacks than Demarcus. Yet he goes to the Pro Bowl and is the Defensive Rookie of the Year. So far, I can live with that. But today, I get my Sporting News with the Top 101 players in the NFL. Merriman is freakin 11th. Demarcus is not on the list. Am I being too much of a homer on this one? I can't imagine the talent difference between the two is that great. FYI- only 4 boys on the list. TO at 29, Roy at 36, Newman 80 and Witten at 91.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't think you're being a homer at all. Merriman's hype mainly comes from one game, that Indy game. That's it.

Ware will be a monster this year and will probably become the best player on our team.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
he is way too high on that list but he is sick and will continue to be

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Things are really going to change this year. T.O. is going to help put A LOT of cowboys on the map.

The offense is going to get a serious look this year. Bledsoe, Glenn, Witten, and even Jones and Fasano...

And our defense is just going to make a name for itself this year. We have so much depth its not even funny. Its actually scary but with the exception of maybe our secondary, a lot of these players on the 2nd team could find themselves starting somewhere out there. Burnett, Singleton, Carpenter, probably not fowler. Ratliff, and Hatcher have real skill too. Aaron Glenn could start in a lot of places too.

And where this depth is going to come in, is where we have guys spelling each other, and our nickel packages.

We're going to see a lot of Kevin Burnett this year. And a growing amount of Bobby Carpenter once he finds himself starting in the nickel.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Merriman being 11th and Ware being left off is absurd. The gap between the two players is very small and frankly, I'm not sure who should be ranked higher.:banghead:

Reaction score
I know what you mean. Seems like when any football show or magazine mentions the Chargers, something along the lines of 'their awesome defense led by Shawne Merriman' is included by default. Pretty soon he'll probably be doing Chunky soup commercials!

I'm not saying the kid isn't talented, but dayum, give it a rest. Ware's going to have a better season than he will this year & any who doubted it will know we got the better player.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Before I clicked the thread I was expecting to see some blatant homerism, but you are right. Him being at 11 is ridiculous.

flashback

Real Man of Genius
Reaction score
Sorry, guys, Merriman had double digits in sacks last year, and Ware didn't. Nevermind that they were only 2 sacks apart. Therefore, Merriman rocks and Ware sucks. OK, maybe not sucks, but isn't taking the league by storm.

This is what happens when you have people who only watch the highlights writing the stories. Merriman is a damn good player. He even tipped a pass to himself and got an INT in the preseason. He might be better than Ware, he might not be. But he's got the cool nickname and the little dance for after every sack, so he must be better, right?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Ware doesn't dance around like an idiot after every tackle so he doesn't get noticed. I'll still take Ware anyday.

ghst187

Reaction score
Merriman is a good player...Ware is a very good player too.

The hype I'm sick of is the deangelo hall hype. It started with him hyping himself up, then the media started buying into it regardless of what happened on the field. He keeps talking trash but has yet to impress me. He's a good corner but he's FAR from being the kind of CB that he tells everyone he is and FAR from what most analysts rank him.
I remember TO having over 100 yards against Hall and a good number of catches yet because of all of Hall's self-promoting hype, the media somehow seemed to think that holding TO to 7 catches and 100+ yards equates to shutting TO down. Meanwhile, we hold him to 5 for 50 and our CBs get no credit or notoriety whatsoever.
Now, Hall says that "Steve Smith didn't have much success against him last time" ....apparently Steve Smith's stats:
12/4 against ATL: 7 catches, 65 yrds, 1 TD
01/01 @ ATL: 9 catches, 131 yrds, 1 TD

that equates to "being shut down"
Yet most of the media laps up Hall's claims to being a "shut down" guy and rate him as a top 3 CB in the league.
I could give Hall top 10....maybe top 7....
he isn't the elite Deion Sanders type that he wishes he was and the media makes him out to be.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
ghst187 said:

The hype I'm sick of is the deangelo hall hype. It started with him hyping himself up, then the media started buying into it regardless of what happened on the field. He keeps talking trash but has yet to impress me. He's a good corner but he's FAR from being the kind of CB that he tells everyone he is and FAR from what most analysts rank him.
I remember TO having over 100 yards against Hall and a good number of catches yet because of all of Hall's self-promoting hype, the media somehow seemed to think that holding TO to 7 catches and 100+ yards equates to shutting TO down. Meanwhile, we hold him to 5 for 50 and our CBs get no credit or notoriety whatsoever.
Now, Hall says that "Steve Smith didn't have much success against him last time" ....apparently Steve Smith's stats:

Yet most of the media laps up Hall's claims to being a "shut down" guy and rate him as a top 3 CB in the league.
he isn't the elite Deion Sanders type that he wishes he was and the media makes him out to be.

Stats god AdamJt13 has similar stats to support why Ware had an arguably better season than Merriman. A quick search could get you all the ammo you need to argue the likes of bayarealightning. Not that merriman is a poor player, god knows i'd like to see some of that emotion from our defensive players, but i like our pick.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Last week, I got grilled comparing Merriman and Ware. "You shouldn't do that, be happy with who we have". Now I click on this trend and everyone is comparing the two. Where is the justice.

Anyway, Merriman made the probowl and such, so he will get more attention. I think and hope that Ware will have a big season this year, as these two will be compared cause we passed on Merriman for Ware.

Winning and production will make Ware more visible.

What is Merriman's nickname anyway??

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
ghst187 said:

Good post... and every last word is true. I can't stand Hall.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze said:

Light's Out.

But you shouldn't want Merriman just because he has a catchy nickname. You should be happy with Ware and stop wishing for Shawne. Ware is a Cowboy... be happy with that.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
Light's Out.

But you shouldn't want Merriman just because he has a catchy nickname. You should be happy with Ware and stop wishing for Shawne. Ware is a Cowboy... be happy with that.

I have heard that before, didn't know who they were talking about, lol. Man, they are really hyping the guy. Nice nickname.

If we win games, and Ware is successful in those games, he will get the attention. Now, if he can do well in a game that John Madden is announcing and Madden starts hyping him, he might be a HOFer, lol. Merriman got the stage in the Indy game, Ware will get his stage soon.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I forgot who said it, maybe it was Goose Gosselin, maybe mort or King. Said Dallas still made the right choice in Ware. He WILL end up being better than Merriman.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze said:
Last week, I got grilled comparing Merriman and Ware. "You shouldn't do that, be happy with who we have". Now I click on this trend and everyone is comparing the two. Where is the justice.

Anyway, Merriman made the probowl and such, so he will get more attention. I think and hope that Ware will have a big season this year, as these two will be compared cause we passed on Merriman for Ware.

Winning and production will make Ware more visible.

Lights out. His tattoo is horrible though.

http://www.vanishingtattoo.com/tattoo/celeb-merriman.htm

X-Dawg

Benched
Reaction score
Stop stop stop....

As of NOW Merriman is more the impact - game changing player....

Don't give me Ware will do this and will be that.... as of NOW Merriman is the better baller - Period.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
X-Dawg said:
Stop stop stop....

As of NOW Merriman is more the impact - game changing player....

Don't give me Ware will do this and will be that.... as of NOW Merriman is the better baller - Period.

You're wrong.