So Sick of The Shawne Merriman Hype

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
X-Dawg said:
Stop stop stop....

As of NOW Merriman is more the impact - game changing player....

Don't give me Ware will do this and will be that.... as of NOW Merriman is the better baller - Period.

Do you think he is the 11th best player in the league?

X-Dawg

Benched
Reaction score
BAZ said:
We'll have to wait on that and I don't think he's"much" better - but he did have a better season...

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
BAZ said:

I know you weren't asking me that question... but I'll answer like this: If Merriman IS the 11th best, then Ware is in the top 20. They're just not that far apart, impact and talent wise, IMO.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
X-Dawg said:
We'll have to wait on that and I don't think he's"much" better - but he did have a better season...

Exactly, people are complaining about the hype machine over him. You said yourself he isn't much better, so how come Ware doesn't make the list? It just plain stupid to say he is that good.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
I don't think you're being a homer at all. Merriman's hype mainly comes from one game, that Indy game. That's it.

Ware will be a monster this year and will probably become the best player on our team.

funny he gets his hype from one game

ware had the best game ever against carolina, but nobody talks about it

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
a few tidbits taken from this thread http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57723&highlight=adamjt13+ware+merriman , where this topic was discussed ad nauseam. Quite the little spanking by AdamJT13 if you ask me. I highly suggest you read the whole thread.

Per AdamJT13:

It's a shame that the media aren't even aware of Ware's most impressive stats -- 10 tackles behind the line of scrimmage and 18 total plays behind the line of scrimmage (sacks and TFL combined). He finished No. 1 among outside linebackers in TFL and No. 1 among all linebackers in the combined stat.

I found video of 9.5 out of Merriman's 10 sacks, and only half a sack came when he simply beat an offensive tackle around the corner. Five of them came when the quarterback was trying to run or scramble and Merriman got to him, and one came when Merriman was completely unblocked. One came when he beat a tight end with an outside rip, and two came when he pushed a guard back near the quarterback and grabbed or tripped him.

Of Ware's eight sacks, four of them came when he blew past an offensive tackle around the corner. One came when he blew past a tight end around the corner. One came when he pushed a fullback backward and got the QB when he stepped up. One came when he pushed an OT back to the QB and got him. And only one of them came when he ran down a QB as he scrambled (and that was after he dumped the OT on his rear end).

A few more points on Ware's TFL --

-- Ware's 18 total tackles behind the line of scrimmage (sacks and TFL combined) were the most for any linebacker since 2001.

-- Ware also was the first linebacker since 2001 to have at least eight sacks and at least eight TFL in the same season.

enjoy.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
X-Dawg said:
Stop stop stop....

Don't give me Ware will do this and will be that.... as of NOW Merriman is the better baller - Period.

Should have expected negativism.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
X-Dawg said:
Stop stop stop....

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
X-Dawg said:
Stop stop stop....

Oh, been meaning to ask.....it is true you are a Gint fan?

Thought so.

dguinta1

Reaction score
A lot of hype has to do with the fact that he luvs being in front of the camera on and off the field more so then others it seams. He was on NFL network a ton during the off season.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:

Thought so.

Yeppers.

What these guys get out of acting like Cowboy fans, I don't know. Oh, I know they love starting crap by posting negative things about the team and watching the other doom and gloomers flock to them... but why not do it as a Giant fan? At least you can respect that some, you know?

I suppose they think that by acting as Cowboy fans, the true Cowboy fans will take them more seriously when they say things like, "OMG!!! Our _______ sucks! And we're in trouble because ______ can't play a lick of football!!!"

They post every negative article they can find and say, "See! I told you our ____ isn't any good!"

Frankly, it has gotten old. Those guys should be glad that I'm not a mod... that's for sure.:bang2:

Dat Dude

Benched
Reaction score
I'm definitley not a Merriman fan and am glad we have Demarcus BUT....

You cant deny the guys talent. Sure 11 is way to high but Merriman is a stud. 275 pounds that can run a low 4.6 , high 4.5 with freakish strength. He can be my SOLB anyday. Hes hyped because he brings attention on himself but thats just the way he plays. Hes a guy that motor is going all the time and he gets himself/team exicted when he makes plays. Demarcus is definitley low profile and doesnt display his emotions the way Merriman does. Some call it showboating but to me its just intensity at its peak...

Frozen700

Reaction score
Merriman is not that good im sorry...u guys will see this season..hell fall flat on his face

hes not as athletic as Ware..n hes def not faster

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Terence Newman700 said:
Merriman is not that good im sorry...u guys will see this season..hell fall flat on his face

hes not as athletic as Ware..n hes def not faster

He's also arguably weaker.

The ONLY thing merriman clearly has over Ware is visible intensity.

DeMarcus Ware

Measurables (combine):
6-4 251lbs
34 inch arms

College Career:
Freshman- 2 sacks, 14 tckles (5 solo)
Sophomore- 9 sacks, 72 tacles (47 solo), 13 quarterback pressures, 20 tacles for loss
Junior- 6 sacks, 62 tackles (43 solo), 32 quarterback pressures, 16 tackles for loss, 5 forced fumbles
Senior- 10.5 sacks, 47 tacles (31 solo), 27 quarter back pressures, 18 tackles for loss, 4 forced fumbles

Workout numbers:
23 bench reps
430 LB bench press
570 LB squat lift
360 LB power lift clean
38.5 inch verticle
10''2 broad jump
4.07 short shuttle
6.85 cone drill
4.56 forty yard dash time
2.71 twenty yard dash time
1.62 ten yard dash time

Shawne Merriman

Measurables:
6-4 274
32 7/8 inch arm length

College Career:
Freshman- 49 tackles (33 solo), 5 sacks, 4 quarterback pressures, 6 tackles for loss
Sophomore- 55 tackles (39 solo), 8.5 sacks, 13 quarterback pressures, 9.5 tackles for loss, 2 fumble recoveries
Junior- 85 tackles (53 solo), 8.5 sacks, 10 quarterback pressures, 17 tackles for loss, 3 forced fumbles

Workout numbers:
27 bench reps
385 LB bench press
590 LB squat lift
335 LB power clean
38.5 inch verticle
10''7 broad jump
4.24 short shuttle
unknown cone drill
4.61 40 yard dash time
unknown 20 yard dash time
unknown 10 yard dash time

per dallasfan : http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23937&highlight=merriman+ware+reps

X-Dawg

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:

Thought so.
I thought you had me ignore....HAHAHHA! You cannot ignore X-Dawg !

mrecktid

Reaction score
Teague31 said:
I will be the first to admit that I do not watch many Charger games. I know very little about Merriman- but when did he become LT and Butkus rolled into one? Despite not having to change positions or drop into coverage he notched only two more sacks than Demarcus. Yet he goes to the Pro Bowl and is the Defensive Rookie of the Year. So far, I can live with that. But today, I get my Sporting News with the Top 101 players in the NFL. Merriman is freakin 11th. Demarcus is not on the list. Am I being too much of a homer on this one? I can't imagine the talent difference between the two is that great. FYI- only 4 boys on the list. TO at 29, Roy at 36, Newman 80 and Witten at 91.
Thanks your your informed opinion, you convinced me. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Starting a thread by saying you don't know anything of a player, yet rag on him like you do. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So yes, you are being too much a homer.

felix360

Reaction score
Just this morning i was listening to MIke and mike on espn and one of the mikes (green) said that merriman is going to be nfl def. player of the year while golic said it would be ware. BTW Golic has the cowboys beating the steelers in the super bowl this year

goshan

Reaction score
Merriman is a quite a bit bigger.

One argument the Merriman supporter could have.
2-3 of Ware's 'sacks' came when he reached out and poked the ball out of the QBs hands when he was clearly blocked outside the tackling zone but due to his long arms, he reached around and poked the ball out.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
goshan said:
Merriman is a quite a bit bigger.

One argument the Merriman supporter could have.
2-3 of Ware's 'sacks' came when he reached out and poked the ball out of the QBs hands when he was clearly blocked outside the tackling zone but due to his long arms, he reached around and poked the ball out.

ummm...maybe i don't get it, but isnt' forcing a fumble even better than just a sack? the fact that he's able to do that when he is blocked out of the tackling zone is unreal.