So Sick of The Shawne Merriman Hype

Prossman

Reaction score
All merriman has to do is rush the passer. Ware on the other hand, had to learn how to be a linebacker, drop in pass coverage, and rush the passer. Offenses scemed to keep Ware in pass coverage as much as they could & Merriman got 2 more sacks than Ware. Give me ware everyday of the week over Merriman.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
tomson75 said:
ummm...maybe i don't get it, but isnt' forcing a fumble even better than just a sack? the fact that he's able to do that when he is blocked out of the tackling zone is unreal.

true, true.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
goshan said:
Merriman is a quite a bit bigger.

One argument the Merriman supporter could have.
2-3 of Ware's 'sacks' came when he reached out and poked the ball out of the QBs hands when he was clearly blocked outside the tackling zone but due to his long arms, he reached around and poked the ball out.

some guy that wore #56 for the Giants used to do that too

David

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Never watched the Chargers?
And yet you're dissing one of their sickest players...

hmmm

Merriman is a freak.
He is beast and is only going to get better.

Some of the homerism here goes too far.
If all you do is watch Dallas every week then I think that makes you a Cowboys fan but NOT a football fan. Therefor, you're not qualified to comment on other players around the league.

I LOVE ME SOME WARE.
But had we drafted Merriman instead, I'd feel the same about him and so would you.

Point is, there are LBers around the league better than Ware.
Merriman might be one of them.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:

hmmm

Merriman is a freak.

If all you do is watch Dallas every week then I think that makes you a Cowboys fan but NOT a football fan. Therefor, you're not qualified to comment on other players around the league.

I LOVE ME SOME WARE.
But had we drafted Merriman instead, I'd feel the same about him and so would you.

Problem is, if he is better and we passed on him, well that makes us unhappy. People don't accept that very well, lol.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jazzcat22 said:
I forgot who said it, maybe it was Goose Gosselin, maybe mort or King. Said Dallas still made the right choice in Ware. He WILL end up being better than Merriman.

that was goose, suprisingly

DallasDomination

Reaction score
The problem is that some poeple here are giving Merriman to much prop. He Wasnt as talentred as Ware in College and he isnt now in the pros.

did you actually watch Merriman play or are you just saying this because of what you see on NFl Network?

He's a good player. On par with Ware..But He's not better...Mark it down, Definitely not better.

Reaction score
I have a feeling this comparison will be a lot like the T-New vs. Hall debate. Merriman will probably have more flashy plays...But we all know who is better....

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:

hmmm

Merriman is a freak.

I LOVE ME SOME WARE.

Well I'm a huge Cowboys fan and a huge NFL fan.

So I've looked at the tape on both players.

As others who have done their homework have said,

Ware's sacks were much more impressive, as was his overall play.

Before I looked at the film, I was a little envious of the Chargers fans, because Merriman did have bigger sack total and much more hype. So I had to assume it was true, that is until I saw some game tape.

After seeing the them on film, I'm glad we have Ware, he's the better of the 2 (imo).

vlad

Reaction score
I think he is hyped too much, but at this point his is a more disruptive player, plus he's one of those energy guys teammates feed off of, like Irvin. I've seen him drop back and he seems to be a little better than Demarcus right now, but I think thats because of experience, and in time that will change in our favor.

I think the main difference is demarcus still just tries to speed around the corner, although he has started bull rushing. I think in time both will end up around the same place, having said that I'm all for high energy guys, I think they elevate everyone around them, IF they don't blow up. I'm happy with Demarcus, but I think if Merriman was on our team, we'd be hyping even more than he is now, after all, we are Cowboys fans.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
goshan said:
2-3 of Ware's 'sacks' came when he reached out and poked the ball out of the QBs hands when he was clearly blocked outside the tackling zone but due to his long arms, he reached around and poked the ball out.

Only one of Ware's sacks was that way. He got Delhomme to fumble three times, but he was at Delhomme's body on two of those and simply stripped the ball. Only once did he reach and poke out the ball from "outside the tackling zone." And none of his sacks on other quarterbacks came that way, either.

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Only one of Ware's sacks was that way. He got Delhomme to fumble three times, but he was at Delhomme's body on two of those and simply stripped the ball. Only once did he reach and poke out the ball from "outside the tackling zone." And none of his sacks on other quarterbacks came that way, either.

That's true. Good point.

jay cee

Reaction score
mrecktid said:
Thanks your your informed opinion, you convinced me. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Starting a thread by saying you don't know anything of a player, yet rag on him like you do. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So yes, you are being too much a homer.
I was thinking the same thing at first, but he really did not rag on Merriman.
He asked how Merriman could be rated so high, and Ware not even make the list.

I think it is a legit question. It shows how the media is blinded by players that self promote themselves either by running their mouth, or by their actions on the field with sack dances and such.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
I don't think you're being a homer at all. Merriman's hype mainly comes from one game, that Indy game. That's it.

Ware will be a monster this year and will probably become the best player on our team.

Actually, I think he is kind of homer. If you are sick of hearing (blah blah) about a player is one thing, but if you are sick of hearing about a player because he is getting more hype than your player. Thats very homer. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :p:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Merriman is a very good ball player, I'm not ready to call him the next LT at this point but for a rookie season he had 10 sacks on the year and did a good job playing in the SD defense. Only time will tell how good Merriman will be. As for Ware I'm happy we drafted him and expect big things from him as well and just as it is with Merriman only time will tell what kind of player Ware will develop into.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Terence Newman700 said:
Merriman is not that good im sorry...u guys will see this season..hell fall flat on his face

hes not as athletic as Ware..n hes def not faster

:stop: You are not allowed to use homerism to falsely discredit another teams player.

• 41.5-inch vertical jump
  • 4.61 40 (same as Bobby Carpenter but 20 pounds heavier! (255 vs 275)
  • 385lbs Bench
  • 590lbs squat
I would take either player without question! I am damn happy to have Ware!

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Merriman is a very good player...maybe not #11 in the entire NF good, but good nonetheless. I was very high on Merriman last season, and was actually pissed when we passed on him and Johnson for Ware last season. But it turned out well because Ware i an excellent player. Ware's downfall is that he came from a small college program and in't as outspoken or "nasty" as Merriman is. Merriman always had the reputation of laying big hits on guys, and was one of those that offensive college players were always aware of his field position, much like Roy Williams. Ware on the other hand stacked up near identical stats, both collegiate and proffessional, but his mild demeanor(sp?) and small school had him flying under the radar, nd he simply returns to the huddle after big play. On the other hand, Merriman was getting the spotlight on a power house team and drew attention to himself by letting the whole stadium know that he made theplay when it was over. Almost sending Priest Holmes into retirement doesn't hurt his big hit rep, either.

Does this mean Merriman is better? No. All it means is that he draws attention to himself and leaves imprints in the minds of viewers and makes people think his play is more spectacular than it really is, so naturally, guys who make these rankings will recall Merriman's big plays in their mind while Ware goes unnoticed.

I am glad we got Ware, though I really wouldn't be upset if we got Merriman either...

BTW, if we drafted Merriman last year, we probably would have gotten Manny Lawson this year...

makes me a little sick to think about it that way...

But anyway, I am still happy with our moves.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
goshan said:
Merriman is a quite a bit bigger.

And what exactly is wrong with that? The job was done right? A sack happen right? Hell better than that, it wasn't *just a sack* it was a forced fumble!!! That alone carries more weight than a sack alone!

BONUS! :yourock:

kartr

Reaction score
Teague31 said:
I will be the first to admit that I do not watch many Charger games. I know very little about Merriman- but when did he become LT and Butkus rolled into one? Despite not having to change positions or drop into coverage he notched only two more sacks than Demarcus. Yet he goes to the Pro Bowl and is the Defensive Rookie of the Year. So far, I can live with that. But today, I get my Sporting News with the Top 101 players in the NFL. Merriman is freakin 11th. Demarcus is not on the list. Am I being too much of a homer on this one? I can't imagine the talent difference between the two is that great. FYI- only 4 boys on the list. TO at 29, Roy at 36, Newman 80 and Witten at 91.

Yes, you are being a homer, there's no hype, he's the real thing. Had we picked him, he would still be getting credit, maybe even more because of the star. He can play lb and de, he played at a bigger school than Ware and he is probably faster and more powerful than Ware. He was the one who exposed Peyton Manning's weakness to the Steelers. He almost single-handedly beat the Colts by himself. I would have drafted him and the other lineman that the Chargers drafted over Ware and Spears, but I wouldn't have drafted Phillip Rivers or Charlie Whitehurst, just to show you I'm not a closet Charger fan.