So, who hates to fly???

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
I drive a lot while doing my job. I hate traffic jams and rubber neckers with a passion. Flying I love. Feeling the power of the engines as you get pushed back in the seat as the plane starts moving along the runway is magic. This year will be my 6th year/trip from London to DFW. 10 hours of watching films, sleeping, drinking and reading. Hey, I can put my feet up without getting nagged by #1. :)

SacredStar

Reaction score
CoCo;2022449 said:
I have struggled with motion sickness all my life. As a kid in upstate NY the winding roads and limited panoramic views in routine car rides often made me sick.

Plane rides are hit and miss. Its largely dependent on how much turbulence we get. I still remember the pilot proudly declaring "that ride would have cost you an E ticket at Disneyland" as I wretched in my seat. Other times I've been just fine.

The risk part of flying is always on my mind but, but not paralyzing or debilitating in any way. BTW - that crap about "safer than driving"... brings me no comfort. If I'm driving I at least have some control. :)

Now that I live in Colorado, and am predominantly the driver, I rarely get motion sick. But on a recent road trip through the southwest I chose the scenic route through Moab Utah. Absolutely gorgeous, while I was upright. The roads were fairly straight - limited back and forth stuff. Problem was it was very hilly. Lots of quick ups and downs. I was even the driver but it probably took 15 minutes before I could no longer function and had to lay down in the back. Sicker than I'd been in quite some time. Got some meds in the next town and bounced back surprisingly well as those episodes can often linger for days with me. Of course the roads at that point were mostly straight and flat.

Motion sickness is a real drag. I actually got wiped out one day by motion sickness generated by me water-skiing!

I share your sentiments. Unless I'm driving, I always get sick. Your entire post is a mirror of my motion sickness life. It sucks.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Juke99;2020177 said:
Going on a trip next week...I hate flying with a passion. Just wanted to see who shared the same dislike...and if not, why.

A while ago I made the mistake of being on a plane and thinking of how a plane looks flying WAY up in the sky when you're looking from the ground...and then realized, that's how I looked to people on the ground at that moment.

OH MY. :eek:

Funny you ask this question?

I leave in 2 hrs for a flight to Germany.

I love to fly, however, I understand your concern.......but, it is a time saver for sure and I hate to drive.......have a great trip Juke!

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
When God comes for you, it matters not whether you're 35,000 feet in the air, or hiding in an underground bunker.

Whoops, I said "God".

WarC

Reaction score
I'm an odd duck. I love flying, and I love watching out the window at the tiny world below.

However, I'm completely batshat scared of heights. I have trouble even climbing a ladder to the top or getting on the roof of our house.

I've come to realize that what does it for me is a platform. I need something to stand on - or better yet, a "capsule" to be in. Such as an aircraft fuselage. If I got steady "ground" underneath my feet then I'm fine with any height.

So maybe thats something you can keep in mind while on the plane...You are enclosed, encapsulated in a metallic beast that keeps you "protected" from the outside.

It's all about outwitting your phobias. :D

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
WarC;2024050 said:
I'm an odd duck. I love flying, and I love watching out the window at the tiny world below.

However, I'm completely batshat scared of heights. I have trouble even climbing a ladder to the top or getting on the roof of our house.

I've come to realize that what does it for me is a platform. I need something to stand on - or better yet, a "capsule" to be in. Such as an aircraft fuselage. If I got steady "ground" underneath my feet then I'm fine with any height.

So maybe thats something you can keep in mind while on the plane...You are enclosed, encapsulated in a metallic beast that keeps you "protected" from the outside.

It's all about outwitting your phobias. :D

I'm pretty much the same way.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Juke99;2020177 said:
Going on a trip next week...I hate flying with a passion. Just wanted to see who shared the same dislike...and if not, why.

A while ago I made the mistake of being on a plane and thinking of how a plane looks flying WAY up in the sky when you're looking from the ground...and then realized, that's how I looked to people on the ground at that moment.

OH MY. :eek:

Xanex can help with that. In modest doses, of course.

I like to think of flying like a boat skipping on waves of water since traveling at those speeds makes the air seem a lot more solid than when you're standing still.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
I am compiling a list of coping mechanisms based on this thread. :D

Actually, the anxiety about flying is much worse than the actual experience for me.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;2024322 said:
Oh, yea well, that's understandable. It's not like you're used to looking for your name in quotes, or anything. ;)

BTW... Enjoy your flight. Seems you've picked a great time for it.

:muttley:

I'm just gonna focus on where I'm going...

But thank you very much for the links...I think I'll print them out and read them while I'm on the plane.... :)

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
i'm 21 almost 22 years old and have never been on an airplane. but this year i will be flying out to Texas to see my boys and Texas stadium before it's gone.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Rampage;2024390 said:
i'm 21 almost 22 years old and have never been on an airplane. but this year i will be flying out to Texas to see my boys and Texas stadium before it's gone.

You are gonna LOVE it.

I went down a few years ago...walked in...saw the hole in the roof...and it was just an amazing experience. PLUS it was so nice to be able to root for the Cowboys and NOT be at Giant Stadium!

Where are you in NY?

montgod

Reaction score
Well, I have been flying all my life and never had a problem with it. I actually enjoy watching how fast you go on the runway, the take off, and the climb into the sky afterwards.

However ever since I went to Japan and back, I have started to have more of a phobia about flying now. It's mainly due to all the turbulence I have experienced which cause me to freak out or be scared because logically, you are wondering if you will hit an empty pocket and never be able to regain from it.

Going over to Japan was the worse I have ever experienced. Everyone on the play pretty much thought we were a goner, but it turned out okay... obviously.

Now that I fly more often because of work, I have found that small planes and being near water tends to be the worse areas for turbulence. I still deal with it, but I don't like it.

The last bad flight I was on, we dropped twice so suddenly that my hands went up in the air and came down and hit the person's leg next to me.

Flying is great for saving time... but one of these days, I feel like I am going to have a heart attack! I need to take a dose of Nyquil or something next time I guess. The only thing is I hate missing out on my drink and food. I know, I know...I can't have it both ways.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I have been so long and from such an early age it doesnt phase me anymore. I dont care for it. But I am fine with it.

Short story.

Once I had to go from the Bahamas to the Florida.
So I get on what looks like the smallest jet looking airplane you ever saw.... but with propellers :eek:

Two rows of seats divided by the isle.
You duck when you get in.

So... I am seated in the very first seat on the left. Ok.
I look at the window and what do I see.... I am sitting right next to the propeller. Damn. Ok.

So they fire those bad boys up and we take off.
The buzz is load and thats how it stays for whole trip(about an hour).

So what do I do? I stare out the window and am watching the propellar.
I hear the buzz that is getting more and more inconsistent. :eek:

Its about 8:00am in the morning... the stewardess comes over "would you like something to drink?... coffee or juice?

"yeah I will have two bottes of the vodka and leave the whole can of OJ... LOL

End of story....

jimmy40

Reaction score
Double Trouble;2023947 said:
When God comes for you, it matters not whether you're 35,000 feet in the air, or hiding in an underground bunker.

Whoops, I said "God".
Ask God how long it takes to fall out of an underground bunker.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99;2024422 said:
You are gonna LOVE it.

I went down a few years ago...walked in...saw the hole in the roof...and it was just an amazing experience. PLUS it was so nice to be able to root for the Cowboys and NOT be at Giant Stadium!

Where are you in NY?
dutchess county. what game did you see? i think i'm gonna get tickets to the seattle game:D

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Rampage;2025443 said:
dutchess county. what game did you see? i think i'm gonna get tickets to the seattle game:D

Commanders...
You're gonna love it.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99;2025476 said:
Commanders...
You're gonna love it.
yeah man i can't wait to see the hole in the roof,the star in the middle of the field,the Ring of honor, the championship banners,more cowboy fans than the opposing teams fan,the cheerleaders, even rowdy................well maybe not rowdy but you get the point:D you wren't at the 05 Commanders game were you?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Rampage;2025491 said:
yeah man i can't wait to see the hole in the roof,the star in the middle of the field,the Ring of honor, the championship banners,more cowboy fans than the opposing teams fan,the cheerleaders, even rowdy................well maybe not rowdy but you get the point:D you wren't at the 05 Commanders game were you?

Make sure you go a day or two in advance and go on the stadium tour