So you want to draft an OT in the first round huh?

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Rob Pettiti is a year older and a year wiser.....he should and probably will play much better next season. Other than D'Brickashaw Ferguson, I don't see any other OT coming in and playing any better than Rob.

If we go OL at #18.....my choice would be Taitusi Lutui or Will Allen.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Pettiti was not bad untill late in the season when he was both injured and worn down. He was ok for the first 4-6 games. Yeah he had help. But he was doing OK. About what you would expect from a rookie playing a different position. A healthy, stronger, better trained Pettiti would just about be certain to do better then any rookie that we are likely to get next year.

lspain1

Reaction score
I'm still not sure the Cowboys will draft an OT in Round 1. I think they are going to look hard at FA for a veteran OT and go to a strength of this draft in Round 1...at LB.

I understand Guard is also a strength in this draft. A pick at guard is intriguing and does make some sense to me. However, historically speaking the Cowboys don't do OL in Round 1. I think the FA period will give us some clues about the Cowboys perception of the whole OL situation.

My thought here is that the Cowboys are going to go for a SB this year. If that is true, you may bring in a player to develop but you need to have your OL solidified.....Now. If I am right, won't the Cowboys try to stock up on veterans and draft picks (but maybe not high ones) and try to sort out the best unit in camp? Typically OL's seem to get better as the players work together so I'm not sure how you put one together quickly. I just can't see that happening by counting on draft picks to get it done except as backups.

notherbob

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
I'm still not sure the Cowboys will draft an OT in Round 1. I think they are going to look hard at FA for a veteran OT and go to a strength of this draft in Round 1...at LB.

I understand Guard is also a strength in this draft. A pick at guard is intriguing and does make some sense to me. However, historically speaking the Cowboys don't do OL in Round 1. I think the FA period will give us some clues about the Cowboys perception of the whole OL situation.

My thought here is that the Cowboys are going to go for a SB this year. If that is true, you may bring in a player to develop but you need to have your OL solidified.....Now. If I am right, won't the Cowboys try to stock up on veterans and draft picks (but maybe not high ones) and try to sort out the best unit in camp? Typically OL's seem to get better as the players work together so I'm not sure how you put one together quickly. I just can't see that happening by counting on draft picks to get it done except as backups.

I think you have a good point. It usually takes 2-3 years for OL guys to develop enough to play well in the league and I think BP will go for a vet FA and also draft for the position, but in the later rounds.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Pettiti was not bad untill late in the season when he was both injured and worn down. He was ok for the first 4-6 games. Yeah he had help. But he was doing OK. About what you would expect from a rookie playing a different position. A healthy, stronger, better trained Pettiti would just about be certain to do better then any rookie that we are likely to get next year.
He was awful from day 1. Go rewatch some of the first 5 games if you don't think so.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Here is what Ourlads recently offered on perhaps the 3 top offensive tackles available... The analysis came after watching the players at the Senior Bowl-- both in practice and in the game itself:

D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Virginia)- As good as advertised. Excellent feet in pass protection. Good redirect. Long arms (36 1/4") natural knee bender. Smooth and athletic in his movement. Leaks through on the second level. Sinks his hips. Can turn and seal linebacker and cut off backside pursuit. One of the most fluid natural athletes we've observed in numerous Senior Bowls. Carries his weight well. Needs to fill out and upgrade his overall strength. Competitive blocker with god body control. Has all the tools to be a Pro Bowl player. Needs to post up inside leg better to take away inside slant by defensive end.

Eric Winston (Miami)- Angular left tackle that is more finesse than powerful. Comes off the ball with a flat back. Sustains contact with defender. Not real strong with his anchor. Has some talent and tools. Not an explosive and powerful as you like for a tackle.

Marcus McNeill (Auburn)- A left tackle with natural strength. Explosive. Can generate power. Will duck his head on pass protection and waist bend at times. Needs pass protection technique work. Raw talent.

Jonathan Scott (Texas)- Athletic tackle that needs to play strong. Not a powerful player. Good initial quickness and balance. An inconsistent player in both pass protection and run blocking. Players too high to anchor bull rush. Average long snap at 14 yards was between .70 and .79.

Ryan O'Callaghan (California)- Big physical right tackle type. Good sized hands and arms (33 3/4"). Good balance. Could improve his footwork in pass protection. Not a natural knee bender. Average athletic ability. Can mirror a speed rusher.

Jeremy Trueblood (Boston College)- Typical Boston College lineman. Physical and plays with an attitude. Angular build (6077, 316) with long arms (34") and big hands (10 3/8"). Plays high and allows the defensive end to get into him. Struggles to anchor. Inconsistent to move his feet against a speed rusher.

Other than Ferguson I don't see any instant answers at RT. As a matter of fact I think if one stuck Winston and McNeil at RT for the 2006 season I think each is capable of giving up 10+ sacks as a starter. I still think a year #2 Pettiti is a better option than either McNeil or Winston.

well they left off Winston Justice, who is probably going to be the 2nd OL picked and a guy who could probably start at LT or RT from day one...

our tackles were hands down the two worst in the NFL last yr...niether even looked like a decent NFL backup, let alone a legit NFL starter...I am not for drafting a tackle in round one (or any OL where we pick) but to say that the guys at the top of this draft (1st/2nd rd) are less players than Pettiti at this point is just being a blind loyalist because of certain people who post here....Pettiti might be a nice career backup, but he had a dreadul yr last yr and didnt give me any idea that the guy is a long term answer at RT here

David

ghst187

Reaction score
Hostile said:
There WILL be good OT prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. No to OT at 18, and no to TO at any cost. The lunch wasn't that good Bill.

right on...on all counts.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Like I posted in another thread I'm starting to think we may go "guard" in round two rather than "tackle".

unless they release Allen, I think that would be a wasted pick

our 2nd rd pick needs to be someone who can come in and play a role from day one, not sit on the pine...if I were making decisions I'd keep Allen and get rid of Rivera, but they wont do that because of what they invested in him and because Parcells wanted him here (and getting rid of him, even deservedly would be Parcells admitting he blew it in a big way)

David

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
lspain1 said:

I would agree that FA is the way to go.

What isn't acceptable - IMO - is sticking with a waste like Pettiti.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Have to laugh at some of these experts that claim they absolutely know that someone is a waste. And by the way- I was able to watch every game this year. Pettiti did ok early on- stank late. But I think he can get a lot better and be a solid RT. Not great, not pro bowl, but solid. I have been watching the Cowboys for 35 years - and we have had a LOT of worse OT's over the years. (Pozederac anyone?)

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Have to laugh at some of these experts that claim they absolutely know that someone is a waste. And by the way- I was able to watch every game this year. Pettiti did ok early on- stank late. But I think he can get a lot better and be a solid RT. Not great, not pro bowl, but solid. I have been watching the Cowboys for 35 years - and we have had a LOT of worse OT's over the years. (Pozederac anyone?)

Pozderek's issues were more with penalties than anything else...he wasnt a human turnstyle

I've been watching the team a long time too, 30 yrs to be exact...Pettiti was one of the worst I've ever seen us start as a regular starter...Tucker wasnt much (if any) better, although at least we know he'll be replaced by Adams

David

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Ryan O'Callaghan in the later rounds. Put him with a good OL coach:eek:: for a year and you will have something.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Double Trouble said:
As for what works, we know what doesn't work. Rob Pettiti.
Why do you say that? There are a million reasons (and they all have been debated at length) for his play this year. Putting somebody in am impossible position to succeed then dog on him constantly when he doesn't just does not make any sense at all.

Reaction score
notherbob said:
I think you have a good point. It usually takes 2-3 years for OL guys to develop enough to play well in the league and I think BP will go for a vet FA and also draft for the position, but in the later rounds.

Finally a couple of answers that make "real sense"! It is a proven fact that OL's must play together for a period of more than one year if success is ever to be obtained. Last year it was like having three rooks on the OL at the start of the season and it got worse when Flo went down.......not good even in HS! If we go into the 2006 season with Flo back to normal and LA at status quo, then Johnson, Petitte and the "Italian Stallion" should be better, if for nothing else, they played together for a year! No to any OL in the first round......too many other good players will be available for us that could be put to better use! (And that's the truth!):D

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
I'd do okay if I had help on every play too. Petitti was helped alot until Flo went down, and then they had to help out Tucker too. Heck, I think we should move Key to right tackle, he did a heck of alot better than either tackle when they lined him up in the backfield.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I could go back only to 2002 and say right off we had worse tackles.
Pozderac holds the NFL record for consecutive holding calls at 3.
ANd I do believe he had the season record for penalty yards as well.
AND he gave up plenty of sacks. He was slow and had terrible footwork and was a lot WORSE then Pettiti.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
I don't think McNeil at 18 is going to be a reach. Did the guy ever give up a sack at Auburn? He has the talent to dominate. Justice is talented at well. I think when things shake out after the prodays and combine, Justice or McNeil won't be a reach at 18. McNeil may be a bargain at 18.

notherbob

Reaction score
For me, it's still two or three years too early to judge Petitti; Aikman didn't look very impressive his first year either.

All in all, Petitti did about as well as a late-round rookie playing out of position and with injuries could be expected to play. Now, if he doesn't look any better next year, there may be a problem.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
notherbob said:
For me, it's still two or three years too early to judge Petitti; Aikman didn't look very impressive his first year either.

yeah, he did

but for stat mongers it was hard to tell because he literally had almost no NFL talent on the field with him...but from a talent stand point it was obvious he had "it" from day one

David