So you want to draft an OT in the first round huh?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Double Trouble said:
By that logic, we could start a team of late round choices and undrafted free agents, and then hang our hat on the fact they got a lot of experience, even though they were the laughingstock of the league. That arguement is pointless. The guy shows he can play, or he can't.

I expect a player to show something. Pettiti showed me nothing other than that he was the worst starting offensive lineman in the league. He's slow, unathletic, and weak.

If they bring him back to compete for a roster spot, I see no harm in it. But counting on him to play? That's a different story. The season will be lost again if he does.

So Petitti showed "You" nothing.

Well isn't that a kick in the head.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Double Trouble said:
But when it comes to Pettiti, I can't think of a rookie that's gotten significant playing time and shown less. I doubt there are more than 2 or 3 rosters in the league he could have made. He was even worse than his dreadful #s show.
Yeah I hear ya. It is a shame he had to drop 30-35 pounds, got forced into action, got hurt, had to play hurt becasue we had no one else.....

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Hostile said:
There WILL be good OT prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. No to OT at 18, and no to TO at any cost. The lunch wasn't that good Bill.

Sound quite sure of that. But you're the only one (including the so called experts) that think ther'll be good OT prospects in rounds 2 - 3. I think that after Ferguson, the talent drop-off is pretty steep..but there are always surprises. If Scott were there in 2, I think you gotta consider it. The guy from BC struggled alot vs. decent pass rushers.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Yeah I hear ya. It is a shame he had to drop 30-35 pounds, got forced into action, got hurt, had to play hurt becasue we had no one else.....

....and still the excuses continue.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trueblue1687 said:
....and still the excuses continue.

The kid wasn't "good". Heck he wasn't even "average" but there were a few games early on when I thought he was acceptable.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
The kid wasn't "good". Heck he wasn't even "average" but there were a few games early on when I thought he was acceptable.

I can't really think of any that I thought that at the game's end...maybe a few plays during, but not after. I think he was not ready for the nfl...period.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy said:
What excuses????? What I stated is nothing but 100% truth.

Come'on BDC!

You know you're just an "excuse-making" bastid! ;)

Come'on! Fess-up! :)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki said:
Come'on BDC!

You know you're just an "excuse-making" bastid! ;)

Come'on! Fess-up! :)
Ah crap caught again. Damn my luck never changes. :mad:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy said:
Ah crap caught again. Damn my luck never changes. :mad:

We know Mr. Petitti paid you to post that stuff now didn't he?

You're just so easily "bought". :)

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Perhaps you could elaborate? I'd like to go back and rewatch those games.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Double Trouble said:
Perhaps you could elaborate? I'd like to go back and rewatch those games.

I thought he was acceptable the first few games of the season.

Jethro75

Reaction score
When is the last time the Dallas Cowboys drafted OL in the first round? Howard Richards? Robert Shaw and John Niland? How'd those work out? Only Niland worked out.....here's the link http://www.dallascowboysfanclub.com/history/alltimedraft.htm Franchise history suggest's we don't draft OL in the 1st round. Now how's this franchise performed over the years with this philosophy? Exactly..Damn good!!! Look where our MONEY lines came from...2nd round on down. I understand people being anxious to get the line fixed. I too was sick at the revolving door that was the Dallas Cowboys line. I as well didn't feel Riveria played well. He had a penalty every week it seemed.

I'm only suggesting that looking at our history OL is a 2nd round option...and a good one. This year I would rather we draft a Linebacker with 18 or trade down for extra picks.

Go Pokes!

Silky1

Reaction score
Whether we draft a OT or not, we should consider 1 of the FA's, maybe Runyan as a stop gap or Ashworth from the Patriots to provide some competition or depth.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
So you saw Pozderac play?

yeah, I did...

and again...he wasnt "good" but his play didnt single handedly hijack the teams offense (which was pretty damn good in 1986 until danny White got hurt)...as another person intimated, better play at RT might have gave us another win or two this yr in the grand scheme of things...

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
If we'd had even a decent K, we'd have made the playoffs.

probably not...the team was in position to win games vs the Commanders and Seahawks and didnt because the defense blew it...the kicker wasnt on the field when Santana Moss caught two long tds, nor was he on the field when we let a team with none of their top WR's go 80+ yds to tie the game

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
k19 said:
He was a 6th round pick, how many 6th rounders make the active roster much less start? I supoose you were expecting him to be Jackie Slater

no, but I wasnt expecting him to be a human turnstyle either

san Diego started a 7th rd pick as a rookie at RT all of 2004 and their offense wasn eons better than ours...he didnt hold his team hostage with poor play

Pettiti got worse as the yr wore on, far worse...if he was capable of being good he should have improved...I'm sure he is a great guy and he appears to really try hard, but he isnt good enough to be an every game, every yr starter

David

lspain1

Reaction score
I'm no expert but I don't want to go into training camp without serious competiton at RT. It seems only prudent at this point whether you like Petitti or not.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Double Trouble said:
Nice plan. Let's stand pat with the NFL's worst RT.

No, I don't think that staying pat at RT is a good option, it just seems from the OT talent, that it's going to take longer than a year to get decent production from any except Ferguson.

The good news is, that the free agency period is going to yield a bunch of solid OT's.