News: Some details on the procedure LVE will have

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
He may play again, but we're not going to see him play out a full career, the discs are there for a reason - to cushion the movement of the vertebrae, now it's not going to move, and will place more stress on the other vertebrae.

I suspect he's got two more years, then will have to retire.

Sad...

Tell,where you got your medical degree? Many NFL players have had this same surgery and went on to play for years.

khiladi

Reaction score
I bet your correct. I am basically relegated to being a house husband for the last 20 years lol...obviously it meant my spouse,kids had to vastly adjust our lives due to this. I only pray LVE isn't going to end up like me... a statistic. He's a darn good kid and player.

If you follow twitter, I suggest you follow her. This is where she breaks down the science for lay people.

Her PhD speciality is in the biomechanics of the human body and she studies how the body behaves in extreme conditions . She is dead set against many of these procedures that show no real effectiveness in the long run. Also, check out her web-site:

www.drbookspan.com

https://mobile.twitter.com/thefitnessfixer?lang=en

cern

Reaction score
romo's butt carbuncle was the beginning of the end of his career. despite the fact we were told he could play today if needed. think the world of young lve, but I hope he puts his health and future ahead of football.

Rayman70

Reaction score
If you follow twitter, I suggest you follow her. This is where she breaks down the science for lay people.

Her PhD speciality is in the biomechanics of the human body and she studies how the body behaves in extreme conditions . She is dead set against many of these procedures that show no real effectiveness in the long run. Also, check out her web-site:

www.drbookspan.com

https://mobile.twitter.com/thefitnessfixer?lang=en
thanks!! SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD READ.

Rayman70

Reaction score
romo's butt carbuncle was the beginning of the end of his career. despite the fact we were told he could play today if needed. think the world of young lve, but I hope he puts his health and future ahead of football.
DITTO.

cern

Reaction score
Tell,where you got your medical degree? Many NFL players have had this same surgery and went on to play for years.
medical procedures of this type have a best and worst case scenario and the norm. if he were your son, do you think you'd be so lackadaisical dealing with an issue of this magnitude???

khiladi

Reaction score
Again, a few points:

1. Successful Outcome is defined differently as far as medical literature is concerned. It doesn’t mean, for spinal fusion surgery, one can play football, it simply means the surgery had an outcome as expected and was a success, at least as far as the short term. This also doesn’t mean one will not lose flexibility and range of motion because of the surgery being a ‘success’.

2. Minimally invasive refers to the cut, meaning it lessens healing time. A smaller cut means less chance for doing more damage, which require Ls longer healing times. The bigger the cut, the larger the inflammatory response, which can create more issues on u to a surrounding tissues. It doesn’t mean the procedure itself changes. The fusion surgery with bone, still impacts the biomechanics the same way, because the disk is replaced by bone.

3. The newer procedure is a disk is not fused with bone, but an artificial disk. Peyton Manning had his bone fused, so this is still standard operating procedure. The point is, the only way a procedure can truly change is of one can substitute the removed disk with a like substance.

This is what the whole premise of stem cells is about. Use cells to produce like organs in a specific environment and then introduce them into the body hoping the latter accepts it.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
ALL ORTHO/NEURO SURGEONS WILL TELL A PATIENT THE SURGERY WASA SUCCESS. I haven't met 1 yet that has said differently. AND YES...the def. of success is in the eye of the beholder lol. Western medicine is still very crude in my opinion. Its all about the profit, not the well being of a patient.

perrykemp

Reaction score

Can you name some of them? I am really interested to see where this has worked out.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The solution is what it was 20 years ago — either a synthetic disc replacement or bone from somewhere else in the body.
I had cadaver bone used in my c5-6 fusion...and that was around 2000-2001. AND I have a metal plate with 3 screws. WISH I hadn't done the surgery,lookin back. My quality of life has deteriorated ever since. Just the facts.

khiladi

Reaction score

I don’t believe Romo got anything fused. They just removed some of the disk that was pressuring the nerves. Another surgery he had around the collar bone was shaving a portion of the bone that was rubbing against some tissue I think. It was similar to the one Aaron Rodgers had..

LVE is a fusion of vertebrae.

Creeper

Reaction score
This is why people have questions. Many teams actually thought it was an issue and shied away from him. Neck issues have followed LVE throughout his career, which is why he finally started wearing that neck guard. So they must have had their own doctors provide input into the matter. The claim was that it was a stinger or pinched nerve.

Further, NOW the reports are saying he has been playing with spinal stenosis, that he has had SINCE BIRTH.

So if that is the case, the stenosis was being hidden at the time of the draft by somebody, if the sources regarding LVEs childhood is correct.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-tns-bc-fbn-cowboys-vanderesch-20191224-story.html

I also read that the rumors about Vander Esch having neck problems in college could not be traced to anything specific and were probably the result of "gossip" after he started wearing a neck collar in college. He chose to wear the neck collar because of a stinger injury and not because he was told he had spinal stenosis. In any case, thanks for posting the article. As it states, we have reason to be optimistic he will be okay.

Rayman70

Reaction score
LVE may have 2-3 YEARS left at a high level of play. Those are just the facts.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
ALL ORTHO/NEURO SURGEONS WILL TELL A PATIENT THE SURGERY WASA SUCCESS. I haven't met 1 yet that has said differently. AND YES...the def. of success is in the eye of the beholder lol. Western medicine is still very crude in my opinion. Its all about the profit, not the well being of a patient.
Yeah, this is the kind of in between situation I’m in right now. I’ve been offered the “opportunity” to get an ACDF, but currently I’m dealing with issues in my hands, right leg abs right shoulder blade. I have full range of motion of my neck and don’t have a ton of pain. My fear is that doing the procedure (at age 37) would make things worse.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not as simple as it sounds or as people want it to be. There is also plenty of risks involved as well. I had same surgery and have never been back to 100% .

It did help with pain sometimes , but it's a lot easier now to make it hurt. He will lose some movement from the fusion. Personally I think it's a dumb risk him being so young. My injuries are from sports and the Marines from constant abuse . I went and got opinions from 10 of the best doctors in Philadelphia area from neurosurgeon to orthopedic docs.

Went over things like fusions to artificial disc replacement. Most docs had reservations of me getting anything but epidural injections and medicine since I was young ... i was 32 at time. I went and got disectomy anyway ... wish I didn't. I could not imagine playing football after. I have a very active career by no means as physical as football but its ain't no desk job either.
I saw your avatar, looks like your surgery went very bad. Lol!!!! Just messing with you! Salud!

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yeah, this is the kind of in between situation I’m in right now. I’ve been offered the “opportunity” to get an ACDF, but currently I’m dealing with issues in my hands, right leg abs right shoulder blade. I have full range of motion of my neck and don’t have a ton of pain. My fear is that doing the procedure (at age 37) would make things worse.
your correct. Be darn sure before you do it.

cern

Reaction score
I don’t believe Romo got anything fused. They just removed some of the disk that was pressuring the nerves. Another surgery he had around the collar bone was shaving a portion of the bone that was rubbing against some tissue I think. It was similar to the one Aaron Rodgers had..

LVE is a fusion of vertebrae.
my point was more that the cowboys downplayed his problem and it eventually led to his major back problems.

willia451

Reaction score
About two years ago since my surgery. In my case it was the 6th and 7th vertebrae in the neck. About the same as LVE. The neurosurgeon said based on my age and health, disk replacement was an option. But if they got in there and the situation was worse than the scans and x-rays showed, they would have to do fusion.

I asked him what the difference was. And he said if they have to do fusion, I would wake up in a halo. And would not be able to move my neck for about 4-6 weeks. Then I would be in a neck brace for a few weeks afterwards. Total recover time would be 4 months. After recovery I would still have to manage the pain but it should be greatly reduced (I was in agony and on heavy pain killers at the time). And could lose 50% mobility from side to side in my neck depending. Also I would have to be careful of doing highly strenuous activity as that could result in re-injury.

If I had disk replacement, I would be out of the hospital in 4 hours. Back to work in two weeks. And fully recovered with very little or no loss of movement in 6 weeks. All the pain would be gone. And after 6 weeks I could do anything I wanted.

I woke up and no halo. I just thanked the good Lord form my salvation.

The only after affect has been about a 30% loss of feeling in my left thumb and index finger. Which I've gotten used to over the last couple of years and barely notice now.

I just don't see how LVE is going to be able to do football after fusion the way my surgeon described it to me.

But..............we'll see.