News: Some details on the procedure LVE will have

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Back fusions aren't minimally invasive. Not by a long shot.

Regular Joe's have similar procedures done and have lingering pain/discomfort for years.

Imagine playing the most physical position in football, at the highest level after that.

I hope everything turns out well though. Just a little scared since he also had neck issues in college.

Yeah, surgeries today are no joke. Staph infections are prominent now, and can lead to a lot of complications.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Tell,where you got your medical degree? Many NFL players have had this same surgery and went on to play for years.

And where did you get yours?

Myself, I handled insurance injury claims for many years, lots of neck injuries. Whiplash, ya know. A family member had similar surgery, has had issues ever since. They didn't play in the NFL, either. It's not like the vertebrae are like your appendix or tonsils, that can be removed entirely and you never know they were there.

Regardless, as someone above noted, Daryl Johnston had that surgery and only played two more years. I said I suspected he'd play two more years, and last I checked, two years is "years".

Tell you what, let's revisit in a couple of years and see what happened, hopefully I'm wrong and you're right, but surgery isn't an exact science, and people heal differently.

Besides that's only my opinion, if you don't share it all you have to do is say so, snide remarks like you made above aren't necessary.

glimmerman

Reaction score
yup..its certainly more than just "a procedure." Anytime you have a spine issue/surgery...its a dicey thing. The rehab will be very key. I have a titanium plate in my neck at c5-6. I been in a world of hurt ever since honestly. Again, everyone responds differently and I wasn't an elite athlete...so maybe he will indeed be ok. But I certainly wouldn't assume he's gonna be the player he was, not by a long shot. He has a dicey road ahead of him to be honest.
I know. My wife has had 2 levels fused. She did one and it puts more pressure on the surrounding levels. A little something they don’t tell you before you have the surgery done. He is young and has the best doctors so maybe he can still play at a high level for a while.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Typically full recovery takes four months. This is not expected to be career threatening, and know several former Cowboys players underwent this procedure and continued their careers: Daryl Johnston, Rocket Ismail, Chad Hennings and Izell Reese to name a few.”

Read the rest here: https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/merry-shots-of-lve-worst-fears-and-gifts

What that imbecile Spagnola neglects to add is that while they did technically continue their careers, it was usually not for long.

Johnston - Neck surgery in 1997, missed 1999 with a "stinger", retired 2000
Ismail - injured his neck in 2002 training camp; never played again
Hennings - suffered injury in 2000, played only eight games, retired after the season
Reese - hurt in 1999, came back for 2001-2004

What he is saying is completely misleading in terms of how it could affect his career mortality and just bangs the optimism drum that he is notorious for.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Here is the new procedure:

1) Take Jaylon's foot brace

2) Rub Robitussin on it

3) Apply it to LVE's 5th vertebrae

Problem solved.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Two of the three you listed never played a game again after their operations, and Johnston lasted a year before reaggravating it.

This! Not as simple as some may believe. As stated earlier in the week, my cousin had the same injury and procedure done but he stepped away from the game but he wasn't making millions in college, but will assume LVE will continue playing.

Paradox

Reaction score
“Vander Esch will have his surgery in a few weeks. The Cowboys had been hoping medically treating his cervical herniation of the disk between the fifth and sixth vertebrae would reduce the swelling. The most recent examination reveals no herniation reduction.

Vander Esch will now undergo an anterior cervical discectomy with fusion procedure. This entails removing the herniated disk and using bone from the hip to fuse into the space between the two vertebrae.

Typically full recovery takes four months. This is not expected to be career threatening, and know several former Cowboys players underwent this procedure and continued their careers: Daryl Johnston, Rocket Ismail, Chad Hennings and Izell Reese to name a few.”

Read the rest here: https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/merry-shots-of-lve-worst-fears-and-gifts

Pat Sumerall retired in 2002 and has been gone since 2013, yet I can still hear him saying all those former Cowboys players names. Especially Izell Reese.

Plankton

Reaction score
I was told that’s just what I thought happened.

Pay that dude no mind. He's the same guy who insisted that during the Cowboys "reunion" on the Super Bowl pre-game show from when the game was played at AT&T Stadium that Aikman, Johnston, Irvin and Smith all gave Jerry credit for building the team when no such thing took place on the broadcast. I linked the segment that ran on the game from YouTube, and he then replied that it was edited out of what I linked (never mind that it was the whole segment, and showed the transitions in and out of commercial breaks).

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
It's not as simple as it sounds or as people want it to be. There is also plenty of risks involved as well. I had same surgery and have never been back to 100% .

It did help with pain sometimes , but it's a lot easier now to make it hurt. He will lose some movement from the fusion. Personally I think it's a dumb risk him being so young. My injuries are from sports and the Marines from constant abuse . I went and got opinions from 10 of the best doctors in Philadelphia area from neurosurgeon to orthopedic docs.

Went over things like fusions to artificial disc replacement. Most docs had reservations of me getting anything but epidural injections and medicine since I was young ... i was 32 at time. I went and got disectomy anyway ... wish I didn't. I could not imagine playing football after. I have a very active career by no means as physical as football but its ain't no desk job either.
Wth my dad having knee replacements from abuse and injuries in the army i will say the government isnt paying for top treatment of its soldiers im sorry. IM 100% positive the treatment you got and the treatment the gov paid for is nowhere near the care the team will pay to get him healthy.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Lets see if dallas is reactive again. A smart team would. Draft or sign a starter caliber guy and NOT Sean fragile Lee.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Lee, Malcolm Smith, LVE, SMITH & McClain and I would think the LB corp would and should be good to go next year.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Wth my dad having knee replacements from abuse and injuries in the army i will say the government isnt paying for top treatment of its soldiers im sorry. IM 100% positive the treatment you got and the treatment the gov paid for is nowhere near the care the team will pay to get him healthy.

With the VA the care you get varies a lot depending on where you are. I had a hip replacement done at the West VA facility (at a cost of zero) that was done by the head of Sports Ortho for UCLA Medical Center. He is one of the top surgeons for that in the country and did a perfect job. The physical therapist was top notch too, because that facility is one of the best anywhere for amputees.

But I also talked to a guy in recovery that started at a VA in South Carolina that was incompetent, so he did his homework on who had the best facility, then flew to LA on his own dime.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
“Vander Esch will have his surgery in a few weeks. The Cowboys had been hoping medically treating his cervical herniation of the disk between the fifth and sixth vertebrae would reduce the swelling. The most recent examination reveals no herniation reduction.

Vander Esch will now undergo an anterior cervical discectomy with fusion procedure. This entails removing the herniated disk and using bone from the hip to fuse into the space between the two vertebrae.

I recently went with this disc replacement option after a really bad herniation. Same C5/C6. The procedure went very well for me and I lost no range of motion. I was pretty much back to normal about 3 weeks after the surgery. I'd think this'd be a better option than fusion, though it's a far newer procedure (only 5 years approved in the US). But at the same time, maybe it's not meant to hold up to the hits of the NFL.