News: Some good news on DiNucci

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
LOL.........put him at TE, but not QB. QB's have been nothing but a complete disaster at the backup QB position under Jerry the last 25 years. Its like they want the young guy to ONLY have backup potential.

Dak was a fourth-round pick taken to start off as a backup to Romo. Does he not count since Romo got hurt and Dak had to start.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't know. Romo himself admitted that his mechanics were awful his first year and needed a lot of work. Obviously, he showed reason to keep him as a rookie, while I'm not sure DiNucci did.

I expect we would have cut Romo had we not cut Carter first, while DiNucci seemed a guy we genuinely worried about leaving unprotected, i.e., they liked DiNucci more than Romo as rookies.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I expect we would have cut Romo had we not cut Carter first, while DiNucci seemed a guy we genuinely worried about leaving unprotected, i.e., they liked DiNucci more than Romo as rookies.

Well, they did spend a draft pick on him.

However, this is from a fun read about Romo that shows that it didn't come down to Carter:

At 6-foot-2, 230 pounds, Romo didn't have prototypical NFL quarterback size when he joined the Cowboys in the summer of 2003. A roster spot was hardly guaranteed, and the Cowboys still wanted him to fix his delivery. Romo regularly had three-a-day throwing sessions to try to change his muscle memory.

The Cowboys had four quarterbacks in training camp, including starter Quincy Carter, a second-round pick in 2001 who was benched in his second season, and pro baseball washout Chad Hutchinson, who had signed a lucrative deal. One of the four had to go. After Romo completed 9 of 17 passes for 134 yards with one touchdown and one interception in the preseason, third-stringer Clint Stoerner, who had started two games for the Cowboys in 2001, was released.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/s...mo-dallas-cowboys-became-starting-quarterback

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
I actually wanted Romo start his rookie season and predicted he would be our QB People at work told me he would never be a starter. I brought them some crow and served them a plate or 300

gimmesix

Reaction score

You may have been referring to this, though:

In 2003, Carter started every game, and the Cowboys went 10-6 and lost in the first round of the playoffs. In a stunning move, the Cowboys released Carter in training camp in 2004 after he reportedly failed a drug test. That left 40-year-old Vinny Testaverde, whom the Cowboys signed in free agency, as the starter, Drew Henson as the backup and Romo as the third QB. Testaverde lasted only one season, and the Cowboys went 6-10.

In 2005, the Cowboys signed 33-year-old Drew Bledsoe, who had been to a Super Bowl under Parcells with the New England Patriots, after the Buffalo Bills released him. Romo was elevated to the backup spot, and Henson was the third QB. Bledsoe started every game, and the Cowboys went 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

Romo improved each preseason, combining for 47-of-76 passing for 523 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions. On one memorable play in 2004, Romo led the Cowboys to a come-from-behind win over the Oakland Raiders after running a quarterback sneak for a touchdown with just six seconds remaining in the game. He had disobeyed Parcells, who wanted a different play. "We're kind of happy he scored, but Bill is mad," Payton said. There were rumblings that Romo was on the roster bubble.

Plankton

Reaction score
tenor.gif

Beaker42

Reaction score
I called it much earlier in some thread that I think DiNuccci will be number 2 to start the season. Some people laughed.

I think he possibly has the physical ability. He just needs the reps to process everything with the required speed. I am learning piano. You got to get the mental part down first before the physical part of hitting the keys sounds decent. Once it clicks mentally, the physical part comes quickly if the talent is there.
Gilbert is the clearcut choice for backup. DiNucci’s throwing motion is ***.

terra

Reaction score
Romo is one of the few examples of a developed QB that made it big. Usually one that sits on the bench for three years never makes it.

And it is not like he had great QBs ahead of him. Q, Clint Stoerner, Bledsoe was on his last legs, Chad Hutcinson. And what was the name of the guy Jerry thought would be a great one that BP knew was a dud?

terra

Reaction score
You may have been referring to this, though:

In 2003, Carter started every game, and the Cowboys went 10-6 and lost in the first round of the playoffs. In a stunning move, the Cowboys released Carter in training camp in 2004 after he reportedly failed a drug test. That left 40-year-old Vinny Testaverde, whom the Cowboys signed in free agency, as the starter, Drew Henson as the backup and Romo as the third QB. Testaverde lasted only one season, and the Cowboys went 6-10.

In 2005, the Cowboys signed 33-year-old Drew Bledsoe, who had been to a Super Bowl under Parcells with the New England Patriots, after the Buffalo Bills released him. Romo was elevated to the backup spot, and Henson was the third QB. Bledsoe started every game, and the Cowboys went 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

Romo improved each preseason, combining for 47-of-76 passing for 523 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions. On one memorable play in 2004, Romo led the Cowboys to a come-from-behind win over the Oakland Raiders after running a quarterback sneak for a touchdown with just six seconds remaining in the game. He had disobeyed Parcells, who wanted a different play. "We're kind of happy he scored, but Bill is mad," Payton said. There were rumblings that Romo was on the roster bubble.
If I remember correctly BP reportedly said he was too old to put up with a gunslinger QB but he did say that Romo was going to be a good one.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Romo is one of the few examples of a developed QB that made it big. Usually one that sits on the bench for three years never makes it.

And it is not like he had great QBs ahead of him. Q, Clint Stoerner, Bledsoe was on his last legs, Chad Hutcinson. And what was the name of the guy Jerry thought would be a great one that BP knew was a dud?

Drew Henson.

The story I posted shows that some felt Romo was ready earlier than when Parcells decided to play him, but Parcells wanted to bring him along slowly ... and then had great angst over benching Bledsoe because of his respect for him.

Don't know if Dallas will ever feel that way about DiNucci, and the situation is certainly different. We've got a relatively young quarterback starting, so we're not really looking for the next Romo. It would be nice if he developed into the next Jeff Hostetler or even Nick Foles or Brian Hoyer, though. Got a long way to go to get there.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
That photo is exactly what I look like hitting the trash cash from across the kitchen.

I'm damn good at it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You ask questions and answer them for me too. It's presumptuous of you to do. It shows you have no interest in a conversation. You just want to spew your own poison and shut out civil discourse. We don't all operate at the same speed of deductive reasoning. We don't all figure things out at the same pace. Your error is when you encounter someone at a faster pace than yourself, rather than give them the benefit of a doubt, you attack them because you haven't yet figured out what they already know. You repeat this behavior frequently. When are you going to figure it out you just take longer to figure things out? There is one thing you said there that I agree with and you should have just stopped there. It's when you said this...
So you refuse to answer my question because I made a fool of you. Your answer is to attack me. Go figure. Please answer my question “How do you know he doesn’t have the chance to be the backup?”.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So you refuse to answer my question because I made a fool of you. Your answer is to attack me. Go figure. Please answer my question “How do you know he doesn’t have the chance to be the backup?”.
Rocky, please, believe me, I'm not attacking you. I wish you wouldn't get so defensive when it's you and I talking. I have no need to be confrontational with you even if we aren't seeing things the same way. I have no motivations spurn by you "making a fool of me", even if such a thing was possible.

I would be doing you a disservice to reveal things to you that you need to figure out for yourself at your own pass. I believe in you buddy and I know you have the brainpower to do it for yourself. No pressure, friend. You can do it. :clap:

Zman5

Reaction score
Exactly. If Romo had been thrown out there his rookie year people would've wanted to cut him, too.

Romo sat for 3 whole years before we saw him, for a reason. He wasn't close to NFL ready coming out of Eastern Illinois.

Whether DiNucci can grow as Romo did, I don't know. But it makes sense to keep working with him, despite the presence of the legendary Garrett Gilbert, he of seven teams in seven years and one NFL start.

I saw Romo at his first camp and I thought he would be cut by end of camp. Shows you how much he worked on his game to become the QB he ended up being. He was terrible and had this funky throwing motion.

Scotman

Reaction score
DiNucci was horrible in his one outing last year. But, I don't know how anyone thought it would go any different. Like...seriously. It was like playing hot potato and all the good players were watching from the sidelines. He had to go out there unprepared and take on a division rival. It was ridiculously stacked against him.

I have absolutely no idea if he'll ever be a competent back-up, much less a starter. But I can't help but be encouraged that he sounds like he's moving in the right direction. He's still on the Cowboys, so I'm hoping that he just really improves each and every week.