Some little known fun facts in Cowboys history

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
One day you just might hang with the Corso.
You'll see. I'm exactly what you think.
You know, I've actually been to old El Paso a couple of times. Are you still there? I could be thinking of someone else. I've been on this site for many years despite my low post count. Maybe we'll grab a drink one of these days.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
The 80-82 stretch was the one that was devastating to me. I was old enough to appreciate what I was seeing at that point and we just couldn't get over the hump with Danny White. Not blaming it on him but those were some good teams.
Danny White was a really good...not great QB. He just didn’t have that indescribable intangible that separates good QBs from great. Those early 80s teams should have won a SB. Especially that ‘81 team. “The Catch” game will always be in my top 3 toughest losses as a fan. We totally had that game.
Ya know? I've often wondered just how good of a quarterback the #11 actually was,I mean, like back in his prime footballing days just where he'd be ranked/placed on the Q.B. stage of the current days N.F.L.
( I've entertained the thought of a thread posing this question a couple of times& keep hitting delete on it)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Danny White was a really good...not great QB. He just didn’t have that indescribable intangible that separates good QBs from great. Those early 80s teams should have won a SB. Especially that ‘81 team. “The Catch” game will always be in my top 3 toughest losses as a fan. We totally had that game.
Danny White, Craig Morton and Don Meredith are all great examples of very good QB’s who with great teams still came up short winning championship games.

There is those intangible assets that is needed along with the talent level. It’s why it’s difficult for some of us to see this current team having more success.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tom Landry’s character and toughness is probably best exemplified by the fact that he flew 30 combat missions in WW II, including surviving a crash landing. His older brother Robert Landry was killed flying a combat mission in 1942.

Landry was always serious about getting an education. Because of his war service, he did not graduate from college until 1949 at age 25, earning a bachelors degree in engineering. Showing his dedication to his education while playing in the NFL, Landry earned a Masters degree in Industrial Engineering in 1952.

Landry often commented that his military service, his education, and his faith prepared him for whatever life threw at him.

Thomas Wade Landry was not only a great HOF Coach. He was a great man period.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Houston Oilers GAVE us Too Tall. They gave us a 1st and a 3rd round pick for Tody Smith and Bill Parks in 1973. And then won only one game, so that 1st became Too Tall in 1074. The 3rd was used on Danny White.

Precursor to the Herschel trade? No, not as impactful as that pile of picks, but giving us a 1/3 for two backup types was still train robbery!!!!!

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Houston Oilers GAVE us Too Tall. They gave us a 1st and a 3rd round pick for Tody Smith and Bill Parks in 1973. And then won only one game, so that 1st became Too Tall in 1074. The 3rd was used on Danny White.

Precursor to the Herschel trade? No, not as impactful as that pile of picks, but giving us a 1/3 for two backup types was still train robbery!!!!!
Ed “Too Tall” Jones is another underrated player in Cowboys history. Like several former Cowboys, he was not only good in football, but an all around athlete. He played basketball and baseball in HS and also won several golden gloves boxing matches as a teen. He played basketball in college, as well as an All American DL at Tenn. State Univ. Too Tall was a 3 time All Pro DE, who played at a high level well into his 30s, getting 13 sacks in the ‘85 season when he was 34 years old.

After 4 years as a Cowboy, Too Tall took a year off from the NFL to pursue a short lived career in boxing as a heavyweight. He was 6-0 with 5 knockouts, but he never really fought anyone of major talent. He came back to the Cowboys in 1980, and played until 1989, retiring after 15 seasons. Before Jason Witten, Too Tall played in more games (224) than any other Cowboy.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ed “Too Tall” Jones is another underrated player in Cowboys history. Like several former Cowboys, he was not only good in football, but an all around athlete. He played basketball and baseball in HS and also won several golden gloves boxing matches as a teen. He played basketball in college, as well as an All American DL at Tenn. State Univ. Too Tall was a 3 time All Pro DE, who played at a high level well into his 30s, getting 13 sacks in the ‘85 season when he was 34 years old.

After 4 years as a Cowboy, Too Tall took a year off from the NFL to pursue a short lived career in boxing as a heavyweight. He was 6-0 with 5 knockouts, but he never really fought anyone of major talent. He came back to the Cowboys in 1980, and played until 1989, retiring after 15 seasons. Before Jason Witten, Too Tall played in more games (224) than any other Cowboy.
Psssssttt. Bill Bates.

kskboys

Reaction score
Bob Lilly:

Lilly was drafted by the Dallas Texans(KC Chiefs) in the AFL and was considering signing w/ them. NFL draft was coming up, and Lilly was very highly regarded. DALL had traded its first round pick for Eddie LeBaron, so how did DALL even get Lilly?

First of all, Lilly declared that he would only play for DALL, and that if anyone else drafted him he'd play w/ the Dallas Texans. Dall then traded OL Paul Dickson and a 1st rounder the next year for the 13th and final pick of the 1st round, and we took Lilly.

Lilly was ineffective for his first 2 seasons because Landry played him at DE. Funny stuff.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Cowboys who have scored touchdowns in the Super Bowl:
Duane Thomas (2)
Lance Alworth
Mike Ditka
Drew Pearson
Percy Howard
Tony Dorsett
Butch Johnson (2)
Golden Richards
Tony Hill
Mike Hegman
Billy Joe DuPree
Jay Novachek (2)
Jimmie Jones
Michael Irvin (2)
Alvin Harper
Emmitt Smith (5)
Ken Norton
James Washington

18 different Cowboys scored 26 touchdowns in 8 Super Bowls.

Not only was that Percy's only career TD, it was his only NFL catch. He played college ball at Austin Peay.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The Cowboys actually won a playoff game without scoring a TD- In 1970, they beat the Lions 5-0 in the divisional round.
I think that game was blacked out locally lol , I seem to remember listening on the radio!
Remember blackouts ?? lol local fans were punished, but the rest of fans got to see the games on tv!
I can only assume the lions also had a great defense, never thought about that, they only allowed 1 fg and lost the game!