Some little known fun facts in Cowboys history

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Here’s a fun fact- the late great “Dandy” Don Meredith was born and raised in Mt. Vernon, TX where he became a star athlete in the late 1950s. This is the same high school that just hired Art Briles as the new head football coach.
Don was also a running QB, and held the qb td rushing record for some time, I think dak broke that record recently.
I think he got beat up in the knees and could not run later on.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
One good playoff run this year and the Browns could equal our total number of playoff wins in a single season. Imagine how embarrassing that would be?
not at all, most of their playoff wins were before the merger of afl and nfl.
but yeah I see what your saying I think, we have 3 playoff wins recently, so any team can out do cowboys in playoff wins since 2000.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Ed “Too Tall” Jones is another underrated player in Cowboys history. Like several former Cowboys, he was not only good in football, but an all around athlete. He played basketball and baseball in HS and also won several golden gloves boxing matches as a teen. He played basketball in college, as well as an All American DL at Tenn. State Univ. Too Tall was a 3 time All Pro DE, who played at a high level well into his 30s, getting 13 sacks in the ‘85 season when he was 34 years old.

After 4 years as a Cowboy, Too Tall took a year off from the NFL to pursue a short lived career in boxing as a heavyweight. He was 6-0 with 5 knockouts, but he never really fought anyone of major talent. He came back to the Cowboys in 1980, and played until 1989, retiring after 15 seasons. Before Jason Witten, Too Tall played in more games (224) than any other Cowboy.
One of my early heroes.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
For young Cowboys fans, it’s hard sometimes to explain how good this franchise was for so long. From 1966-1995 (30 seasons), the Cowboys played in 16 conference championship games, winning 8. The last 23 seasons....well...you know.

Three times in its history, the Cowboys played in either 3 or 4 straight NFC championship games. 1970-73, 1980-82, and 1992-95. They played in 7 NFC championship games in the 70’s.

When you remember those heady days, it brings some clarity to this current drought.
That's why some of us are so negative with this organization. We remember those great years and want them back. These players mentioned in this thread were my childhood idols. They are why I became a Cowboy fan.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
So should Jackie Smith!
*groan,released torrents of the long ago once suppressed mental anguish of dismal crushing despair are once again flittering within the razor wire of my fandom's mental perimeters time faded periphery*

Gee,,,thanks a pant load,Cheto_O

Flamma

Reaction score
Danny White was a really good...not great QB. He just didn’t have that indescribable intangible that separates good QBs from great. Those early 80s teams should have won a SB. Especially that ‘81 team. “The Catch” game will always be in my top 3 toughest losses as a fan. We totally had that game.

Me too. I watched that game on a 12 inch black and white. Not that we didn't have better TVs, we did, I just didn't have access to one. If not for that strip sack we're 10-15 yards away from a game winning FG. People can say what they want about White, but that slant pattern to Tony Hill was it? The one that got us over the 50 yard line, that was one of the nicest passes in traffic I ever seen. With everything on the line as well. That pass had to be perfect.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Instead of posting an OTA thread about who looks fast in shorts...Here’s some scatter-shooting Cowboys fun facts I gathered while yawning and waiting for the 2019 season to start...
  • In the nearly 60 years of Cowboys football, there are only 4 teams we have a losing record against all time- somewhat surprisingly, it’s Cleveland, Denver, Baltimore and Green Bay.
  • The FIRST WIN in franchise history was against.....The Pittsburgh Steelers (27-24) on the opening game of the 1961 season. This after going winless (0-11-1) in the inaugural 1960 season.
  • Tom Landry was only 35 years old when named head coach of the Cowboys before the 1960 season. That’s two years younger than Jason Witten today, Lol.
  • From 1967-1969, the Cowboys played in what was then called the “Capitol” division. When the AFL-NFL merger happened in 1970, the name changed to the “NFC East” division.
  • The Cowboys won a whopping 14 playoff games in 10 years- 1970-79. The next best era was of course between 1991-96 when they won 12. In the last 23 seasons, we’ve won 3...ouch.
  • The Cowboys have 35 playoff wins all time, best in NFL. But 32 playoff wins happened before 1996.
  • The Cowboys actually won a playoff game without scoring a TD- In 1970, they beat the Lions 5-0 in the divisional round.
  • The Cowboys first training camp in 1960 was at St. John’s military academy in Delafield, Wisconsin.
I could go on....I’m sure you guys have some too.
Landry was a QB, punter, and DB for Mission High School in Texas.
He played for the New York Yankees before that league folded; he was optioned to the Giants.
He was DC for the Giants and Lombardi was OC!
He created a version of the flex defense while playing for the Giants.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Landry was a QB, punter, and DB for Mission High School in Texas.
He played for the New York Yankees before that league folded; he was optioned to the Giants.
He was DC for the Giants and Lombardi was OC!
He created a version of the flex defense while playing for the Giants.

i believe the flex defense was only doable under Landry, is that correct?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i believe the flex defense was only doable under Landry, is that correct?
Good question. He developed the 4-3 for the New York Giants, especially for Sam Huff as MLB. He refined the flex aspect as a defense against Lombardi and the Packers - didn't want their star running back running for daylight, so he created the flex D to counter the Sweep, which took the Packers to many victories. He had the DTs step back a yard and react to the sweep run.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Cowboys who have scored touchdowns in the Super Bowl:
Duane Thomas (2)
Lance Alworth
Mike Ditka
Drew Pearson
Percy Howard
Tony Dorsett
Butch Johnson (2)
Golden Richards
Tony Hill
Mike Hegman
Billy Joe DuPree
Jay Novachek (2)
Jimmie Jones
Michael Irvin (2)
Alvin Harper
Emmitt Smith (5)
Ken Norton
James Washington

18 different Cowboys scored 26 touchdowns in 8 Super Bowls.

If only Jackie Smith could have caught one.......

bodi

Reaction score
I don't, but I know he came from tiny Ouachita Baptist and was a UFA.

well Dallas was looking ay running back from Henderson State cross town rival of Ouachita Baptist - Arkadelphia Ark who was mighty fast an every time he broke thru the line there was this guy that would always catch this RB it was Cliff Harris

well Landry was watching tape of the game and asked who the hell was catching that RB -

Cliff Harris

Cliff became an accomplished defensive back. He played all of the secondary positions and was a quality kick returner. He was named to two All-Arkansas Intercollegiate Conference (AIC) teams and was part of the 1966 AIC Football Championship team during his freshman season Championship team during his freshman season.[4] Harris was part of the track and field team and graduated with a double major in math and physics

a couple ole buddies went to school there

Last edited: