Some Of You Will Disagree...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
...but on Day 1 of the 2006 Draft I'd go Defense heavy again unless there is an unbelievable talent there.

If we had a Carson Palmer (just using him as an example) at QB I'd feel differently. I'd want a triplets scenario like Indy. I'd want lots of receiving options. I'd want to build an unstoppable offense with a bulldozer O-line.

We're not near that point here yet.

Therefore I focus the Free Agency period on Offense and getting a solid Kicker and I try and finish building a defense that destroys teams through the draft.

I'm very much a proponent of a balance of youth and veteran experience, but in the case of our defense I think it best we plug the holes and go for the long run.

Nothing would please me more than to build an offense around an elite QB again. I still believe one of our backups could be that guy, but there's no evidence to support that right now. Give Bledsoe more wily veterans around him for support and stockpile the defense with playmakers who will keep us in the game for a season or 2 until they build a chemistry that equals elite status.

That's what I would do. I'll understand if you disagree, but I'd like to hear your reasoning why.

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
I agree, defensive shoring up is needed. Our LB corp is thin as well as quality safety. Don't be surprised if Glover gets his walking papers as well. Only if an amazing OT falls to us would I hit OL in the first round. LB, OL, and DB are the highest priorities.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess it all depends on the FA's we bring in or let go before the draft.

Sure we need some LBs and FS on D....but we also need O-Line help and another speed WR.

So as we said...it depends on what route you go via FA prior to the draft.

Maybe we get a decent LB and FS in FA and then decide to look at O-Line or WR in the draft...or vice versa.

Woods

Reaction score
I would hope that in FA we finally address the kicker position, and that we also address getting a FS (though we tried this past off-season as well). I also think we'll get another LB in FA. He may not be a top "name", but a guy who can play well in the 3-4.

Unless we can get one more OT in FA, I would still prefer to draft an OT in the 1st, IF a player worth a 1st is available. In other words, if an OT, LB, CB, or DT, for example, are all seen as "equal" in our eyes when we pick, I would still prefer to take the OL.

But I don't think it usually works out that way . . . .

DBoys

Reaction score
Hostile said:
...but on Day 1 of the 2006 Draft I'd go Defense heavy again unless there is an unbelievable talent there.

If we had a Carson Palmer (just using him as an example) at QB I'd feel differently. I'd want a triplets scenario like Indy. I'd want lots of receiving options. I'd want to build an unstoppable offense with a bulldozer O-line.

Therefore I focus the Free Agency period on Offense and getting a solid Kicker and I try and finish building a defense that destroys teams through the draft.

I'm very much a proponent of a balance of youth and veteran experience, but in the case of our defense I think it best we plug the holes and go for the long run.

Nothing would please me more than to build an offense around an elite QB again. I still believe one of our backups could be that guy, but there's no evidence to support that right now. Give Bledsoe more wily veterans around him for support and stockpile the defense with playmakers who will keep us in the game for a season or 2 until they build a chemistry that equals elite status.

That's what I would do. I'll understand if you disagree, but I'd like to hear your reasoning why.

I totally agree with you. The positions we need on O we don't have the luxary of developing them. Next year we need guys to step in and go.

RT, C for sure

Defense we have more of a luxary in developing those guys.

Heavy dose of LBer for me and a FS

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Hostile said:

Actually Hos your plan is sound...but I don't particularly care for leftovers if we don't make the playoffs I hope to hear the chopping sound :chop:eek:f veteran heads rolling on the Offense ... here is a list...let me know if you think any of these guys will improve with another offseason

Adams, Allen, Rivera, Key, Glenn, Bledsoe, Campbell

now if you do not think they will improve do you think they may be in decline (rarely do players stay the same...they reach a peak and then start a downward climb it is the speed at which they decline that seperates the great ones)

Champsheart

Reaction score
Hostile said:

Well, I am usually of the mindset to draft the best player available. If we stockpiled on defense in the draft again at FS, LB, and DT I would be fine with it, I THINK.

With that being said I am of full belief we have to get a lot better on the O-Line. We have to start drafting these guys at some point, some good ones.
Next year we have to, IMO, have a new RT, C, and I am assuming FLO will be back. These are musts or our team will continue to be handcuffed. If we pick this up in FA I am fine going Defense in the Draft.

If we do not get these guys in FA, or the oppurtunity is not there, then I do not think we have any choice but to Draft a few O-Lineman, and probably in the first 3 rounds. If there is one area now, and over the next couple of years we need help it is there. Flo has a few years left, but Allen is winding down, we have no Center at this point, Rivera cant have to many years left, and RT has been a thorn for a long time. The only player I see could have a chance to step in is Peterman, but not even sure about that.

At some point we have to build this line with young talent.

DBoys

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I guess it all depends on the FA's we bring in or let go before the draft.

Sure we need some LBs and FS on D....but we also need O-Line help and another speed WR.

So as we said...it depends on what route you go via FA prior to the draft.

Maybe we get a decent LB and FS in FA and then decide to look at O-Line or WR in the draft...or vice versa.

WR is imagination we all saw what happened to Price

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Hostile said:

This IS NOT a bad thought process on getting the team better.....however, it would be hard for me personally to pass on a TALENTED OT if I felt he could anchor the line for 10 plus years and be Pro Bowl material........we need it badly IMO!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. All these folks that are thinking OT in round one are otta their gords.

I think Parcells is going to give Petitti every opportunity to claim that position for the next 10 years.

I say ILB in round 1.

UNLESS...

We trade out for more picks in rounds 2 & 3.

We know we need help at:

ILB
FS
O-line
WR depth
DT depth
And possibly some help at TE

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I would agree ,finish what we started on D. LB......Safety. Please get a starting OT, C, Kicker.

If there is any money left get a young vet QB .

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Imo it always depends who is there.

If Ahmad brooks or Huff were available (maybe wright) and we like them over the available OL and WR, than get them. Take who you think will be the best at a position of need.

Of course if some of these Junior qbs come out and a good one comes to us, pull the trigger and (hopefully) be done with it.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
I'm all for having a strong defense. BUT, at some point we need to load the offense.
I know Tampa Bay and the Ravens won the Super Bowl with great defenses and average at best offenses with stopgaps at QB. But, that is by far the exception rather than the rule.

I think we have the makings of a very good defense, and I think we can add a piece or two to it through FA and the draft, like a FS and another LB, etc.

But we really need to start building a solid offense, instead of just relying on older veterans at key positions. Unless we just want to constantly have a revolving door every 2-3 years of stopgaps and never actually build.

I've heard the excuse of not drafting a QB high for 5-6 years now. It's risky - he won't contribute right away - blah, blah, blah. Well, if we always had that attitude then we never would've had Aikman. We could've just gone with Laufenberg, then Beurlein, then Rodney Peete, then Kosar and maybe won a division or two all the while squandering the rest of our talented roster.

At some point we need to pull the trigger, and I don't mean reach for some project like Quincy in the 2nd or 3rd round. And I know there isn't a 100% guarantee a 1st round QB will pan out. But I'd rather go down trying than go down with a stopgap every year.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CrazyCowboy said:
This IS NOT a bad thought process on getting the team better.....however, it would be hard for me personally to pass on a TALENTED OT if I felt he could anchor the line for 10 plus years and be Pro Bowl material........we need it badly IMO!

Crazy, I just can't see a OT at approximately #20 that has the proven skills to be a 10 year starter... I really don't. They all seem to lack strength and personally I think Petitti given an offseason to conditioning and improving lateral quickness would beat out any OT you bring in at #20.

Woods

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Crazy, I just can't see a OT at approximately #20 that has the proven skills to be a 10 year starter... I really don't. They all seem to lack strength and personally I think Petitti given an offseason to conditioning and improving lateral quickness would beat out any OT you bring in at #20.

Not that I see much college football here across the pond, but what do you think of that OT from Texas? I think his name is Jonathan Scott?

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Tio said:
Imo it always depends who is there.

If Ahmad brooks or Huff were available (maybe wright) and we like them over the available OL and WR, than get them. Take who you think will be the best at a position of need.

Of course if some of these Junior qbs come out and a good one comes to us, pull the trigger and (hopefully) be done with it.[/QUOTE]

Agree, Yes, it's past time to be done with it. ;)

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

I've seen quite a few OT's who were drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds or later, who lasted 10+ years. I don't see any reason someone at #20 in round one couldn't.

Plus, why would you think a 2nd year former 6th round pick beat out the 20th pick in the draft? IF a 6th rounder who looks like crap in his rookie year can be that good in year two, then wouldn't it make sense that the 20th overall pick might be at least a tad better?

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
I think you are right- the only obvious playmakers you will get at the position we will be drafting are linebackers, DTs, and free safeties.

DBoys

Reaction score
You guys gripe about Petitti and then you want to draft another rookie OL guy and go through it all again. OL is the one place we don't want to draft a starter we need to sign them in FA. It will be the difference in winning a SB next year or not.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Nope.

You already have a very solid defense in place. You probably need a linebacker and maybe even another Nose Tackle, but if you take this same defense into next year, you still have a Top 10 Defense.

You have to balance things out. We went totally defensive next year. Go take a look at our drafts from 1998 up until now, alot of first day picks are on the defensive side of the ball, which is why at times, I defense was way ahead of our offense.

Is there any team in the National Football League that has a longer drought then us with regards to selecting a QB in the 1st Round?

The skill positions on the offensive side of the ball are getting stale and really dont put fear in the heart of the opponents.

Im sick of U, Strahan, Peppers, Kearse and heck, throw Phillip Daniels in there foaming at the mouth when they play us because they know their sack total could increase by 30%.

Nope. You MUST get an Offensive Tackle and a young Wideout in this draft with some speed.

I see 3 1st Round picks on the defensive side of the ball and a hell of alot of money tied up in others (Glover and Henry).

How many 1st rounders do we have on the offensive side of the ball (ones we drafted)?

Let's go offense this draft and I may just be open to getting a linebacker. But I dont know if Parcells can justify passing on these guys if we get the opportunity:

1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson Virginia 6-5 295 5.10
2. Eric Winston Miami (FL) 6-7 312 5.10
3. Winston Justice Southern Cal 6-6 300 n/a
4. Marcus McNeill Auburn 6-9 338 4.97
5. Jonathan Scott Texas 6-7 310 5.30

Heck, I am of the opinion that we need to go offense so bad that I would be open to drafting a Kicker with our first pick if one is good enough :eek: .

Time to bring this offense into the 21st Century....speed...size....pedigree.