Some Of You Will Disagree...

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
Going off the thread title... Some of you will disagree... I'd say we need to get T.O. (Kill me) I don't care what issues he has, if he's helping this team win, I can deal w/ it. Parcells can help him, I don't think he'll be an issue at all, he seemed to be very truthful in his final PC when he was sorry for what he did. Whichever team he goes to will reap big benefits. We need a freakin' GAMEBREAKER on offense and T.O. brings that.

Obviously we need help on the O-line and I think we'll improve that via F.A or the draft. I'd love to get someone to replace Davis and get a few more stud LB's. It should be an interesting offseason.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
DBoys said:
You guys gripe about Petitti and then you want to sign another rookie OL guy and go through it all again. OL is the one place we don't want to draft a starter we need to sign them in FA. It will be the difference in winning a SB next year or not.

Yes, I think the Rookie would struggle, but you have to think that rookie with the pedigree of a Ogden, Pace, Flo etc etc or another high valued Offensive Lineman would start picking things up when the season is almost at a conclusion.

Petitti deserves the opportunity to come back and compete for a job, and yes it is very unrealistic that he would get a fair shot if we draft a Tackle in the 1st Round.

I have defended this guy to the death and really have not given up on the kid but I dont see him progressing at all.

I hate to keep sounding like a broken record...but that false start on 3rd and inches on a Drew Bledsoe quarterback sneak play against Carolina really bugged the heck out of me.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
DBoys said:
You guys gripe about Petitti and then you want to draft another rookie OL guy and go through it all again. OL is the one place we don't want to draft a starter we need to sign them in FA.

:lmao2:
So, you're saying that ALL rookie OL are the same, regardless of whether they are taken in the 1st round or the 6th round? Is that what you're saying? Tell me that's not what you're saying.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
First off, this not drafting an OT in the 1st round seems silly. If the talent is there, you take the guy. I don't believe the bust % on tackles is as high as it is for many other positions.

Also, Petitti has been pathetic. We can't rely on him another year, nor can we go into a season without some serious OL upgrades. I wouldn't mind Tucker and Petitti back as reserves, but we have to get someone to play RT, or we'll be handicapped on offense again next year.

Dallas has drafted one offensive player in the first round since 1991, IIRC. They have to inject some young talent on that side of the ball soon.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Double Trouble said:
First off, this not drafting an OT in the 1st round seems silly. If the talent is there, you take the guy. I don't believe the bust % on tackles is as high as it is for many other positions.

Correct. You have a need...the need is available...you take that need...just that simple.[/QUOTE]

Double Trouble said:
Dallas has drafted one offensive player in the first round since 1991, IIRC. They have to inject some young talent on that side of the ball soon.

I knew the QB drought in the 1st round was bad, didnt think it was that bad for offensive players as a whole.

I wonder if there is another Franchise that came make the claim that they too have not drafted a offensive player in the 1st round since that time.

Anybody else starting to put 2 and 2 together.....refusual to draft high in skill positions and multiple 5-11 seasons and only 1 playoff berth in what 10-12 seasons...I lost count.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
I agree to an extent. We need to finish out our D but we have some O woes that must be addressed.

I'm still of the opinion that we should go best player available. I think a LB or NT would be a great 1st rd pick if a real stud is there and I think one will be.

I would look at an OL, FS or WR in the 2nd and 3rd rds.

In fact, unless there is that elite player there at our pick, probably # 20, I would trade down if I could because this draft is heavy in OL. If JJ could finagle two seconds or a second and high 3rd for our first pick then we could definitely fill three holes in this draft.

The only way I would stay at # 20 (?) if I could find a trading partner, would be if a top QB or skill player was available.

The type of players we need don't have to be 1st rounders. You can find good OL and FS in the second and third rounds.

If anybody saw the Rutgers game last night, they have a top notch K. He hit a 52 and 48 yarders and really looked good. I don't know if he is a senior or not but we must find a reliable and dependable K this off season.

wileedog

Reaction score
Hostile said:
...but on Day 1 of the 2006 Draft I'd go Defense heavy again unless there is an unbelievable talent there.

I'd be fine with it, as would Parcells I'd wager.

If an impact ILB is there when our first pick rolls around I doubt he will be able to resist the temptation even if he wanted to. He just loves those guys.

And it would be great to build this defense into a bona fide wrecking ball. Its the first step towards a championship.

That being said, O-line can't be ignored (we need to run the ball much more consistently next year), and I really think this is a good season to pick up a WR for the future. Let him learn behind Glenn and Key for a season and be ready to take over with Crayton when those guys are done. From a timing standpoint, I really think this is the right offseason to do it.

Going to be very interesting to see how the Henson thing plays out too.

DBoys

Reaction score
Bach said:
:lmao2:
So, you're saying that ALL rookie OL are the same, regardless of whether they are taken in the 1st round or the 6th round? Is that what you're saying? Tell me that's not what you're saying.

They are the same in the fact they will struggle. I don't care who they are or where they are drafted. Larry Allen got owned by Reggie White as a rookie. We have had a lot of luck drafting OL right? Your scenario brings too much uncertainty to the table, Are you willing to risk the season much like this year on a what if rookie?

We need to get our OL guys in FA PERIOD.

wileedog

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Anybody else starting to put 2 and 2 together.....refusual to draft high in skill positions and multiple 5-11 seasons and only 1 playoff berth in what 10-12 seasons...I lost count.

That's because the players they drafted were terrible. Didn't matter which side of the ball they were on.

We also gave away two #1 picks for a WR. :bang2:

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Double Trouble said:
Also, Petitti has been pathetic. We can't rely on him another year, nor can we go into a season without some serious OL upgrades. I wouldn't mind Tucker and Petitti back as reserves, but we have to get someone to play RT, or we'll be handicapped on offense again next year.

Petitti has not been very effective but he has also been playing injured. Parcells will keep guys like him around because these are the players -- tough guys that compete regardless of injury -- that can win championships when surrounded by better personnel.

Anyway, Petitti will benefit from an off-season with the S&C coach, he needs to work on his power and explosion. It's pretty obvious that the kid has always relied exclusively on his natural size and strength. He will be a better player once he has learned to maximize his physical abilities.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
This Draft is going to be deep at LB and thank goodness. I think we need an ILB and possibly another OLB. Up to me I'd draft 2 LBs.

We need a Free Safety and there is some good talent in this Draft there as well.

If we get rid of Glover I'm going to say we need NT or DT help as well. I'd rather get rid of Ferguson than Glover, but it isn't my call. I doubt Ellis is going anywhere, but it truthfully wouldn't shock me. I just don't think Pepper Johnson is a replacement for Glover. Losing Glover, if it happens, sets the entire D back.

We have no idea if Nguyen is coming back. I'm guessing he isn't.

Singleton is probably a cap casualty.

That is potentially 4 big time veteran losses on the D and that is without addressing FS.

In my opinion we do not have the QB to build an offense around but we do have the pieces in place to finish a dominating Defense. I feel this is the best way to stay competitive for a longer period of time.

If we had a Carson Palmer at QB I'd say go with the already steady defense and let's give this kid what he needs. Weapons to throw to and OL.

DBoys

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Yes, I think the Rookie would struggle, but you have to think that rookie with the pedigree of a Ogden, Pace, Flo etc etc or another high valued Offensive Lineman would start picking things up when the season is almost at a conclusion.

Petitti deserves the opportunity to come back and compete for a job, and yes it is very unrealistic that he would get a fair shot if we draft a Tackle in the 1st Round.

I have defended this guy to the death and really have not given up on the kid but I dont see him progressing at all.

I hate to keep sounding like a broken record...but that false start on 3rd and inches on a Drew Bledsoe quarterback sneak play against Carolina really bugged the heck out of me.

Yeah but I think we are dealing with a window and next year is our year to shine. I like Petitti but I don't want to put all my money in one basket and him get hurt etc. We need insurance policies because next year we make a run for it.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
HE sure would look good with a star on his helmet.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I would enter off-season completely open-minded about improving because this team is now near 1 good off-season from a Super Bowl regardless of the weekend's outcome.

I would prefer balance and also noting what positions play most quickly thus defense would get a nod in drafting.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Who is "HE?"
You don't pay much attention to the sports zone do you? This might make the thread go off topic...
Think Texas man...think Young...

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
wileedog said:
That's because the players they drafted were terrible. Didn't matter which side of the ball they were on.

We also gave away two #1 picks for a WR. :bang2:

True but...

Ellis wasnt bad

Newman isnt bad

Roy Williams

Demarcus Ware

Marcus Spears

Remeber, I said 1998 and onwards, including Parcells' tenure.

We fans must demand we start drafting Offensive Talent with 1st picks...