Some people need to stop this Troy wasn't elite take

Kalyan

Reaction score
I am one of those Cowboys fan who measure QB greatness with SB wins, so Aikman and Stauback will always be on a doing tier than Meridith and Romo…hoping Dak joins the former group, not the latter

Havic

Reaction score
Just to play devils advocate, this team went through Smith and when he held out the team wasn’t that good.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
You know who you are. Troy Aikman was a legendary quarterback and he was one of the best! Enough of this bull. You youngsters have no idea what you missed with that man. He was a true Cowboy and the recent attack on his reputation is asinine. Sit down and go watch some of his highlights and how clutch he was in the postseason. Do it and your mind might be changed!
As I said in a thread I created on the 1989 draft (an awesome thread, by the way :) ), I would have rather had Deion Sanders in that 1989 draft. I watched almost every game Aikman played. That includes every TD and interception (too many) he threw.

Many QBs would have done well with the Great Wall, Emmitt, Irvin, Novacek, Moose and a very good defense.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
“Mark Tuinei stood some 30 yards away, a Gatorade bottle on his head and a sheepish smile on his face. After challenging quarterback Troy Aikman in a crowded Cowboys locker room to prove his marksmanship with a football, Tuinei bravely declined a blindfold. Aikman spun the ball, found the laces and unleashed a bullet pass. It took the bottle cleanly off the offensive lineman's head.”
I remember reading about that...good memory.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As I said in a thread I created on the 1989 draft (an awesome thread, by the way :) ), I would have rather had Deion Sanders in that 1989 draft. I watched almost every game Aikman played. That includes every TD and interception (too many) he threw.

Many QBs would have done well with the Great Wall, Emmitt, Irvin, Novacek, Moose and a very good defense.
Again ....... Great wall built from 3rd round castoffs from other teams ........ they owe their greatness to Aikman and Smith as much as the other way around

joseephuss

Reaction score
Just to play devils advocate, this team went through Smith and when he held out the team wasn’t that good.
The back up running backs during the 90s were terrible. There was a big drop off between Emmitt and any of the back ups until Chris Warren joined the squad. And while a drop off is expected when compared to Emmitt, the running backs on those teams would have been a drop off to any average starting running back. It really changes what the team wanted to do on offense.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
He's a hall of Famer. Enough said.
Go to youtube and call up Aikman‘s 75 yd pass to James Dixon with less than 2 minutes left and trailing by 4 against the Cardinals. This was in Troy’s rookie season (1989). He took the crown of a helmet to his chin just as he released the ball. It was a missile that hit Dixon perfectly in stride, knowing he was going to get blasted as soon as he threw the ball. Airman never saw the catch…he was knocked out, and required numerous stitches to close the gap on his chin.

Those guys played under entirely different rules. There was hardly such a thing as “roughing the QB”, “defensive holding” was rarely called, and ”illegal contact“ penalties didn’t exist, for all practical purposes. Receivers got mugged all the way down the field in their routes. That’s why the QB’s of that era had far more interceptions and generally fewer TD passes than we see today. I’d love to be able to see Aikman and a few others operate under the current rules. That would be some fun viewing.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You know who you are. Troy Aikman was a legendary quarterback and he was one of the best! Enough of this bull. You youngsters have no idea what you missed with that man. He was a true Cowboy and the recent attack on his reputation is asinine. Sit down and go watch some of his highlights and how clutch he was in the postseason. Do it and your mind might be changed!
who says Aikman wasn't elite? those guys are aboslute idiots. morons. stupid. no ifs, buts or thens

joseephuss

Reaction score
Again ....... Great wall built from 3rd round castoffs from other teams ........ they owe their greatness to Aikman and Smith
Indeed. I'm sure Norv Turner wished he could have taken Aikman along with him to his coaching gigs. Aikman made things better. So did Smith. Individually, both were great and made each other better. Those 3 SB wins only happen with those guys on the team.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Some people need to stop crying when people hold a different OPinion than themselves.
That's the funny part, the thought police on parade,,, and on a site where you can easily find opposing views on absolutely everything. We've got all ages and backgrounds and mental capacities represented here!

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Again ....... Great wall built from 3rd round castoffs from other teams ........ they owe their greatness to Aikman and Smith
It does not matter how the Great Wall came to be. It was a Great Wall. Nate was a castoff from Washington. Who cares? It is irrelevant.
When the Great Wall started cracking from age and FA departures, Aikman's performance went downhill. He was a statue with back and concussion issues.
When Irvin and Novacek went out, Aikman's performance fell precipitously.

Aikman would not have achieved stardom without his outstanding supporting cast.

CWR

Reaction score
“Mark Tuinei stood some 30 yards away, a Gatorade bottle on his head and a sheepish smile on his face. After challenging quarterback Troy Aikman in a crowded Cowboys locker room to prove his marksmanship with a football, Tuinei bravely declined a blindfold. Aikman spun the ball, found the laces and unleashed a bullet pass. It took the bottle cleanly off the offensive lineman's head.”
Aikman was the man. He was in command and expected his team to be ready to go. If he played in the modern era he would have lit it up. Just like Jordan in the NBA. No way he isn't avg 40+.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Go to youtube and call up Aikman‘s 75 yd pass to James Dixon with less than 2 minutes left and trailing by 4 against the Cardinals. This was in Troy’s rookie season (1989). He took the crown of a helmet to his chin just as he released the ball. It was a missile that hit Dixon perfectly in stride, knowing he was going to get blasted as soon as he threw the ball. Airman never saw the catch…he was knocked out, and required numerous stitches to close the gap on his chin.

Those guys played under entirely different rules. There was hardly such a thing as “roughing the QB”, “defensive holding” was rarely called, and ”illegal contact“ penalties didn’t exist, for all practical purposes. Receivers got mugged all the way down the field in their routes. That’s why the QB’s of that era had far more interceptions and generally fewer TD passes than we see today. I’d love to be able to see Aikman and a few others operate under the current rules. That would be some fun viewing.
STOP!

dr-krieger-archer.jpg

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

Clyde Simmons intentionally drove Aikman into the turf after he had thrown the football which separated his shoulder and put him out for the season (Beuerlein took over). It was perfectly legal back then, but today it would get you ejected, fined, and suspended. Completely different game with better and tougher athletes than today.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Clyde Simmons intentionally drove Aikman into the turf after he had thrown the football which separated his shoulder and put him out for the season (Beuerlein took over). It was perfectly legal back then, but today it would get you ejected, fined, and suspended. Completely different game with better and tougher athletes than today.
Laufenberg. Which probably cost us the WC in 1990 because Babe was terrible vs Philly and Atlanta.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Aikman would not have achieved stardom without his outstanding supporting cast.
If it was a Great Wall ....... how did Aikman get his body destroyed.

They were not a great wall ....... they were a bulldozer ...... great for runners ....... not great for the QB