Some people need to stop this Troy wasn't elite take

stiletto

Reaction score
Aikman was the perfect QB for a near perfectly assembled team and the results proved it. Once Jimmy left, the player/personnel part died and it slowly went down hill. Aikman's specific weaknesses were more prevalent. Wasn't his fault, everyone knew what he needed to operate and ownership failed him miserably.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know who you are. Troy Aikman was a legendary quarterback and he was one of the best! Enough of this bull. You youngsters have no idea what you missed with that man. He was a true Cowboy and the recent attack on his reputation is asinine. Sit down and go watch some of his highlights and how clutch he was in the postseason. Do it and your mind might be changed!
Clutch and tough as a fistful of nails.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
When it was announced that Troy was retiring, I was listening to the Dallas sports radio at the time. They had Jimmy on to comment on Troy ending his career.

Jimmy stated that Troy could have thrown for Marino numbers. But the team concept required he not toss it all over the yard, but to get the lead and then allow the running game to take it home for the win.

People can say he was a system QB all they like. But for me, I'll believe the guy who went out of his way to keep Aikman when Troy was disappointed in the team early in his career. And get Troy on board to be the voice of the coach on the field and do what was required to win Championships.

Three Lombardi's suggest these people who pop off have little to no clue.

But consider this. The league, at one time, had games being played where the scores were low because defenses had equality in all competitive areas.

But the fans wanted scoring. Mainly because a defensive game bored fans. The league changed the rules to give the short attention span fans sizzle to keep the league exciting.

Aikman did what he was required to fit the game plan devised by Jimmy. It wasn't sexy, but it was effective. Much like the defensive battles of years gone by. No flash, just success.

I suggest fans who look at Aikman, must have a stat sheet in front of them to tell them who they should like because of a lack of understanding this game in its entirety. I also think if you went back to the passing rules before the receiver became untouchable, you would not see all the stats QB's are tossing out now days. Just my opinion.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
They said some of the same nonsense about Terry Bradshaw, who was an excellent quarterback that didn't put up gigantic numbers. He played his role within their system, which included running Franco Harris a lot. The early 90s Cowboys were similar. Why would they have gotten all pass happy when Emmitt Smith was so effective. So along come some sheer geniuses who conclude BS like, "Bradshaw and Aikman were overrrated."

adamknite

Reaction score
I’ll apologize. Had no idea of his reference.
Hey it happens to us all, especially since Zrinkill couldn't post the whole line. It might not be your type of humor but you should look it up, it really was a pretty big compliment to your post, just with a bit of adult humor mixed in for emphasis.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Aikman was a stud, but Roger, hands down. IMO
They each had different strengths and I keep waffling back and forth between the two. I do believe that Roger was more feared in his era than Troy in his. It’s like deciding between one pound of gold vs 16 ounces of gold…neither is a bad choice.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Well, start a thread and see if people agree with you that these OLs were better than the Cowboys OL. Sounds like a good thread to me. I would be curious to see the responses at this site.
I mean, it’s hard to differentiate between eras and I believe posters are more inclined to stick with the Cowboys out of personal preference/bias. I personally think those units were just as talented. The Raiders had only 1 title due to the Steelers, the Hogs won 3 titles with 3 different QBs, Those Broncos lines could make any RB look good. And those Chiefs lines were just a beauty to behold, but they didn’t have the surrounding cast to have sustained success.

visionary

Reaction score
You know who you are. Troy Aikman was a legendary quarterback and he was one of the best! Enough of this bull. You youngsters have no idea what you missed with that man. He was a true Cowboy and the recent attack on his reputation is asinine. Sit down and go watch some of his highlights and how clutch he was in the postseason. Do it and your mind might be changed!
People are stupid and plenty around here who don’t understand