Some people need to stop this Troy wasn't elite take

Havic

Reaction score
The back up running backs during the 90s were terrible. There was a big drop off between Emmitt and any of the back ups until Chris Warren joined the squad. And while a drop off is expected when compared to Emmitt, the running backs on those teams would have been a drop off to any average starting running back. It really changes what the team wanted to do on offense.
True but doesn’t that give a bit of credence to the bus driver crowd?

My own thoughts are aikman sacrificed for the team and was rewarded heavily for doing so

eromeopolk

Reaction score
You know who you are. Troy Aikman was a legendary quarterback and he was one of the best! Enough of this bull. You youngsters have no idea what you missed with that man. He was a true Cowboy and the recent attack on his reputation is asinine. Sit down and go watch some of his highlights and how clutch he was in the postseason. Do it and your mind might be changed!
As I said Troy Aikman was so great he could win 3 Super Bowl rings without throwing for 3500 yards his entire career. Robo Cop made big time plays in big time games. If Jerry Dumbo GM Jones would not have fired Jimmy Johnson and hired Barry Gun toting Switzer who ran on the field getting a penalty vs SF in the 1994 NFC Championship game. Troy Aikman would have lead the greatest comeback in NFL history and the Cowboys would have 3-peat vs. the San Diego Chargers.

Comparisons begin when you win and have a ring. I would not compare Dak or Romo to Danny White. White before the wrist injury was the NFL leader passer rating, had the top passing season in Cowboys history, and led is team to 3 straight NFC Championship games something Dak and Romo did not and have not done.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
To say he wasn’t an elite QB is saying you didn’t see him play. I would take him over any QB in Cowboys history with the possible exception of Staubach…I’d have to give that one more thought.
Troy was a much more polished, technically proficient thrower than Roger, although I do think Staubach was much better at improvisation when a play went off plan.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
The back up running backs during the 90s were terrible. There was a big drop off between Emmitt and any of the back ups until Chris Warren joined the squad. And while a drop off is expected when compared to Emmitt, the running backs on those teams would have been a drop off to any average starting running back. It really changes what the team wanted to do on offense.
Lassic and others fumbling was a big reason we lost those games vs Washington and Buffalo in 93.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
If it was a Great Wall ....... how did Aikman get his body destroyed.

They were not a great wall ....... they were a bulldozer ...... great for runners ....... not great for the QB
Correct. Aikman took some serious shots, even during the heydays of 91-96.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
If it was a Great Wall ....... how did Aikman get his body destroyed.

They were not a great wall ....... they were a bulldozer ...... great for runners ....... not great for the QB
Well, show me an offensive line which was better.
That was one of, if not the greatest offensive lines ever. It is not even debatable. It WAS a Great Wall.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Go to youtube and call up Aikman‘s 75 yd pass to James Dixon with less than 2 minutes left and trailing by 4 against the Cardinals. This was in Troy’s rookie season (1989). He took the crown of a helmet to his chin just as he released the ball. It was a missile that hit Dixon perfectly in stride, knowing he was going to get blasted as soon as he threw the ball. Airman never saw the catch…he was knocked out, and required numerous stitches to close the gap on his chin.

Those guys played under entirely different rules. There was hardly such a thing as “roughing the QB”, “defensive holding” was rarely called, and ”illegal contact“ penalties didn’t exist, for all practical purposes. Receivers got mugged all the way down the field in their routes. That’s why the QB’s of that era had far more interceptions and generally fewer TD passes than we see today. I’d love to be able to see Aikman and a few others operate under the current rules. That would be some fun viewing.
Troy would be a threat for 5000 yards and 40 plus TDs if he were born 30 years later.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Well, show me an offensive line which was better.
That was one of, if not the greatest offensive lines ever. It is not even debatable. It WAS a Great Wall.
Raiders if the 70s, the Hogs of the 80s, Broncos late 90s, Chiefs, early-mid 2000s.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Troy was a much more polished, technically proficient thrower than Roger, although I do think Staubach was much better at improvisation when a play went off plan.
Agree. Hence my wavering between the two. I’d probably go with Troy as the overall better QB.

LandryFan

Reaction score
STOP!

dr-krieger-archer.jpg
Stop what? if you don’t like the discussion, you’re perfectly free to leave the thread…nobody’s stopping you.

adamknite

Reaction score
Stop what? if you don’t like the discussion, you’re perfectly free to leave the thread…nobody’s stopping you.
He was complimenting the post. If you've ever seen the show Archer (where that picture he posted came from), you know what the next line after "Stop!" is and it's hilarious and it's a compliment to the post he was replying to. It just can't be said on this site. I don't think so anyway.

foofighters

Reaction score
You know who you are. Troy Aikman was a legendary quarterback and he was one of the best! Enough of this bull. You youngsters have no idea what you missed with that man. He was a true Cowboy and the recent attack on his reputation is asinine. Sit down and go watch some of his highlights and how clutch he was in the postseason. Do it and your mind might be changed!
It was awesome getting to see Aikman play but just like the Romo stuff, you gotta let it go. Y'all are so sensitive about everything. You think Aikman and his Rings or Romo and his perfect life really care about what all this testosterone has to say on some random message board?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Troy Aikman was one of the most accurate and hardest working QBs of his era, along with demanding seriousness and preparedness from his teammates. He well deserves being in the hall of fame.

He wasn’t great at throwing the deep ball, but he adjusted by throwing short where guys could make the play instead of overthrowing. He and Irvin deserve lots of credit for many of Emmitt’s 1-2 yard TD runs….lol.

Like most QBs, Troy was not capable of taking a mediocre team on his shoulders and willing them to victory. The end of his career was ugly without Irvin and without a good run game, a deteriorating OL and a defense that was poor. Great QBs, like great WRs or RBs cannot carry a crappy team. All the skill positions on offense depend on an OL and each other. We’ve seen that with Brady, Mahomes, Burrow, and even Rodgers. There‘s no such thing as an elite QB who would win no matter what team you put him on.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Raiders if the 70s, the Hogs of the 80s, Broncos late 90s, Chiefs, early-mid 2000s.
Well, start a thread and see if people agree with you that these OLs were better than the Cowboys OL. Sounds like a good thread to me. I would be curious to see the responses at this site.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Troy was an elite Bus Driver.

Could he have been more? Possibly, but we did not need him to be more very often.

LandryFan

Reaction score
He was complimenting the post. If you've ever seen the show Archer (where that picture he posted came from), you know what the next line after "Stop!" is and it's hilarious and it's a compliment to the post he was replying to. It just can't be said on this site. I don't think so anyway.
I’ll apologize. Had no idea of his reference.