Some Realism

rcaldw

Reaction score
Guys, I mostly read on this board and occasionally contribute, but there is one subject that continues to come up that I just can't help commenting on.

The idea that Drew Bledsoe is going to all of the sudden become a great QB because he is in our colors and is with Bill Parcells.

It is PARCELLS who says, "YOU ARE WHAT YOU ARE".

I've read all sorts of stuff "explaining" why Drew didn't do so well last year, or the year before that, or the year before that. I've read ridiculous things about "he's really more mobile than we knew".

Man, just watch the guy play, he is what he is. SLOW. STUBBORN. HOLDS ONTO THE BALL TOO LONG. DOESN'T WIN CONSISTENTLY.

Period.

Is he an upgrade over Vinny? NO QUESTION. Is he the best QB we have had here since Aikman? YES.

But is he going to all of the sudden morph into something he hasn't been?

No. And it would be fun if we could be honest about that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
rcaldw said:
Guys, I mostly read on this board and occasionally contribute, but there is one subject that continues to come up that I just can't help commenting on.

The idea that Drew Bledsoe is going to all of the sudden become a great QB because he is in our colors and is with Bill Parcells.

I've read all sorts of stuff "explaining" why Drew didn't do so well last year, or the year before that, or the year before that. I've read ridiculous things about "he's really more mobile than we knew".

Man, just watch the guy play, he is what he is. SLOW. STUBBORN. HOLDS ONTO THE BALL TOO LONG. DOESN'T WIN CONSISTENTLY.

Period.

Is he an upgrade over Vinny? NO QUESTION. Is he the best QB we have had here since Aikman? YES.

I don't expect him to carry this team only work within the team concept on offense, it is going to take every member of the offensive unit doing their jobs for this offense to get going. That means those stupid penalties the O-line continued to have last season that would end up killing drives has to stop, it mean the right side of the line has to learn how to block. Bledsoe can help but I do not expect him to single handedly carry this team

rcaldw

Reaction score
I agree Doomsday, and I think that doing that we have a chance. I'm not saying we can't win for a season with him, I'm just saying that we haven't rewound the clock back to his early years in the NFL. Guys want to pretend that he is the same QB he was or better than the young gun who used to light up NFL defenses to some degree (even that may have been a bit overblown). I have watched him play and he is stiff and indecisive. I was the biggest Aikman fan in the world, but after 1998 if we thought Troy was going to be what he was in 1992-96 we were just dreaming.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
One player will make or break Bledsoes' tenure as a Cowboy:

Jason Witten

IMO. He is the key to this offense being successful. Not to take anything away from Jones and the WR corps.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
rcaldw said:

I agree.

Excuses and apologies are made, but they are meaningless.

So is the rationalization that he will "do what he did for Buffalo last year".

I may be dead wrong, but our defense is not quite to the level of that unit right now. We are installing a new defense. We will be playing rookies. We will have new starters on that defense and it will take time to build that so-important chemistry.

The best chance we have is to establish the run and throw only as a change-up. But our opposition knows this.

So I would expect opponents to sell out to the run and dare us to pass to win, just as they did with Vinny Testeverde. I think the results will be roughly the same unless we can just completely have our offensive line impose its will on the opposition.

ravidubey

Reaction score
rcaldw said:

Period.

When did anyone say he'd become a Hall of Fame lock because he donned royal blue and metallic silver? (actually that's another topic, but back to the thread...)

- Bledsoe has a strong arm.
- Bledsoe looks deep first, then to the TE, then dumps off unless sacked.
- Bledsoe has not had a TE, or even a good possession WR, since Coates except 1 season.
- Bledsoe's one season with a TE since Coates he threw for 4000 yards.
- The last Cowboy to throw for 4000 yards was Danny White in 1983.
- Bledsoe has not had good WR's, good RB's, and a good OL with supporting defense and ST's since the late 1990's when he was either in the Superbowl or throwing TD's in the high-20's.

rcaldw

Reaction score
When did anyone say he'd become a Hall of Fame lock because he donned royal blue and metallic silver? (actually that's another topic, but back to the thread...)

- Bledsoe has a strong arm.
- Bledsoe looks deep first, then to the TE, then dumps off unless sacked.
- Bledsoe has not had a TE, or even a good possession WR, since Coates except 1 season.
- Bledsoe's one season with a TE since Coates he threw for 4000 yards.
- The last Cowboy to throw for 4000 yards was Danny White in 1983.
- Bledsoe has not had good WR's, good RB's, and a good OL with supporting defense and ST's since the late 1990's when he was either in the Superbowl or throwing TD's in the high-20's.

You have just demonsrated my point in this post.

Do you really expect him to throw for 4,000 yards this year?
You think he is our best QB since Danny White?
Bledsoe hasn't had ANY supporting cast according to you since early in his career when he was "lighting it up", and so, IMPLIED, is that he will return to his "young days".

I rest my case.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
rcaldw said:

Period.

I oughta sticky this thread in honor of that post. :D

Agree 100%.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
One player will make or break Bledsoes' tenure as a Cowboy:

Jason Witten

IMO. He is the key to this offense being successful. Not to take anything away from Jones and the WR corps.

I agree, I think if Bledsoe and Witten can get on the same page with each other I think Bledsoe can have a good year. It is always nice to have that outlet when the pressure is coming and Witten presents defenses with a lot of coverage problems. Add to that if Dallas can pickup where they left off in the running game last year and show some improvement on the right side of the line this offense will have a chance to do some good things this year such as scoring more than an average of 17 points a game which they have been doing over the last few years.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
rcaldw thanks for your thoughts...

What it comes down to is Parcells figures he can "coach up" Bledsoe. That simple.

Parcells has done great jobs with QB's in the past....see Ray Lucas.

But that said, the NFL is way too sophisticated to get away with hiding a QB's weaknesses for very long.

Parcells did a great job with QC until the rest of the league caught on to what he was doing.

This is my biggest gripe about Coach Parcells...he devalues the QB position.

At times I wonder if his ego will ever allow him to have a blue chip QB getting the credit for the team's success.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know for years we have had a QB debate going on in these message boards.
Truth be told they bore me, but every so often I throw in some opinions and then let them be.

I frankly think whether Bledsoe is going to help this team or not depends on Witten, the Oline and Julius Jones.

IF the o-line can give him enough time to go through his reads, if the o-line and Julius can present the opposing Defense with a reason to move more in the box to stop the run game and if Witten can be a good combo with Bledsoe then I think he will do fine.

IF the o-line does not pan out, then we have another walking dead man ala Vinny last year...prone to Sacks and INTs.

Sometimes I get the idea that when a QB starts for the cowboys some will think he is the best no matter who they are. These guys will get ragged and called super homers or (insert name of QB here) Apologists.

Then you have another faction that no matter the reason they are going to complain about the QB before he ever takes a snap and then blame him for everything whether it be his fault or not.

At this point we have no way of knowing how he will really do. It is all speculation based on history. He has done well in the past and he has done Poor in the past. Same could be said of Terry Glenn, Keyshawn Johnson and Vinny.

Now some of those fellow bill guys have panned out, some have not. We will not know until we see them put on the star and go out on the field.

I just honestly wish both sides would give a little wait and see, or a little give and take in considering how they KNOW things will go.

The ones who rag the apologists before anything happens are just as bad as the so called apologists they are ragging on IMO.

Nobody knows at this time how things will pan out, nobody knows how our O-Line, Running Game, Receiving corps, defense will work out. But it appears that we have some on this forum that already know that Bledsoe will be a scrub this year or return to superstar status. We have people on here that already seem to know that Henson is the stud and next franchise player and you have those that think he is a scrub.

I just wish many would wait and see, before already trying to put things into stone and then by doing so die trying to defend their original takes even if they prove to be completely off the mark.

Ok...rant off. :D

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
rcaldw thanks for your thoughts...

What it comes down to is Parcells figures he can "coach up" Bledsoe. That simple.

Parcells has done great jobs with QB's in the past....see Ray Lucas.

But that said, the NFL is way too sophisticated to get away with hiding a QB's weaknesses for very long.

Parcells did a great job with QC until the rest of the league caught on to what he was doing.

This is my biggest gripe about Coach Parcells...he devalues the QB position.

At times I wonder if his ego will ever allow him to have a blue chip QB getting the credit for the team's success.

I agree Juke but I also think there are enough Def Coords that have seen Bledsoe enough to know what might work against him just as Dwayne did 2 years ago... I also seriously expect the skins to make Bledsoe look silly (because of Greg Williams) just like Dwayne did... And yes Dwayne devalues the QB far too much..but I don't believe they are the be all end all either

Alexander

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I frankly think whether Bledsoe is going to help this team or not depends on Witten, the Oline and Julius Jones.

Of course it does. As it does for every quarterback.

Part of the fear comes with the idea of what happens if Witten is taken away, the offensive line does not provide him the level of protection HE needs and if Jones can continue to produce.

My fear is that defenses will take away some of these weapons and dare Bledsoe to throw, all while blitzing him without mercy.

IF the o-line does not pan out, then we have another walking dead man ala Vinny last year...prone to Sacks and INTs.

My point exactly.

Sometimes I get the idea that when a QB starts for the cowboys some will think he is the best no matter who they are. These guys will get ragged and called super homers or (insert name of QB here) Apologists.

Then you have another faction that no matter the reason they are going to complain about the QB before he ever takes a snap and then blame him for everything whether it be his fault or not.

At this point we have no way of knowing how he will really do. It is all speculation based on history. He has done well in the past and he has done Poor in the past. Same could be said of Terry Glenn, Keyshawn Johnson and Vinny.

Now some of those fellow bill guys have panned out, some have not. We will not know until we see them put on the star and go out on the field.

I just honestly wish both sides would give a little wait and see, or a little give and take in considering how they KNOW things will go.

The ones who rag the apologists before anything happens are just as bad as the so called apologists they are ragging on IMO.

Nobody knows at this time how things will pan out, nobody knows how our O-Line, Running Game, Receiving corps, defense will work out. But it appears that we have some on this forum that already know that Bledsoe will be a scrub this year or return to superstar status. We have people on here that already seem to know that Henson is the stud and next franchise player and you have those that think he is a scrub.

I just wish many would wait and see, before already trying to put things into stone and then by doing so die trying to defend their original takes even if they prove to be completely off the mark.

Ok...rant off. :D

That is nice Brainpaint. But if everyone shut up and waited to see what happens this would be a very boring place.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
I don't see anyone here thinking Drew is going to turn into "all that" as a QB. Neither is Bill. What he wants is a QB who won't lose games. He's put players in place to help Drew out--Drew just has to keep from making bonehead plays. I don't think anyone (including management) thinks Bledsoe is here for more than a couple of years & that Henson/Romo are clearly the future. Notice how we haven't signed any other veteran QBs? Pretty much points to one of those 2 being the backup guy & ultimately picking up the reins.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Kittymama said:
I don't see anyone here thinking Drew is going to turn into "all that" as a QB.

Kitty, with all due respect, there are many on here who talk about Bledsoe as if he is going to be "all that". And, that is their right, and as someone already commented, that is what this board is about; OPINIONS.

I just chipped in with mine. Like I said, I think Bledsoe is an uprgrade, I hope he does well, I think we can do alright with him, but he was NEVER a great QB (in my opinion), and he isn't going to be in 2005 what he was at the beginning of his career. That was my point.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander said:
Of course it does. As it does for every quarterback.

Part of the fear comes with the idea of what happens if Witten is taken away, the offensive line does not provide him the level of protection HE needs and if Jones can continue to produce.

My fear is that defenses will take away some of these weapons and dare Bledsoe to throw, all while blitzing him without mercy.

My point exactly.

That is nice Brainpaint. But if everyone shut up and waited to see what happens this would be a very boring place.

I know, but the problem IMO becomes when before the gun is even sounded to start the race people are already convinced they are right and others who disagree are wrong. And no matter the outcome they become so entrenched in their stances that they refuse to be objective once things get going.
We have seen it with QC, with Hutch, with Vinny, Now bledsoe and Henson.

It will happen, I know this, and I know it stimulates conversation....it is just my personal opinion that it gets old at times and objectivity flies out the window because that would make it harder for people to keep to their arguments.

I am sure that if bledsoe did a decent to Great job here, there will be those that are entrenched in their arguments and opinions that they will do everything in their power to prevent themselves or others from giving the guy the praise or at least respect that he earned. Same could be said if he does a bad job...their will be people who will excuse it even if the man and his coaches say it was on him an nobody else.

However...I say give the guy a chance before becoming so concrete in an opinon of how he will do.

I think we all realize we have become a society of what have you done for me lately in sports....sometimes message boards take it even a step futher in damning or praising a guy before he as even played on the team to earn a legit judgement.
I think it has changed from what have you done for me lately to...This guy is a stud or scrub and I know it beyond a shadow of a doubt even though he has not taken a snap.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Alexander said:

Yeah, lol. But BP, nice post.

I have been ragging Bledsoe incessantly (mostly to irk Nors), but in all honesty, altho I don't expect him to be any "more" than he's been these past five years, I do expect Bill to give him what he needs to suceed.

My faith is with Tuna when it comes to Bledsoe. Faith he will provide the pass protection, run game and play action, possession receivers and deep threat AND do something a little different (like those rumoured sprint outs) to keep the opposing DCs wondering. Faith he will solve the "sack" problem, and faith he will game plan well for Drew.

I'm starting to feel sorry for Bledsoe though. He IS the best QB come down this pike since Aikman, and even if that is by default, some degree of optimism seems justified regarding his abiity to do his job.

Alexander

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I think it has changed from what have you done for me lately to...This guy is a stud or scrub and I know it beyond a shadow of a doubt even though he has not taken a snap.

This is a game about "what have you done for me lately" and should not be "what have you done for me in a Cowboy uniform".

There is something to be said for "common opinion" as well.

Marcellus Wiley, Eddie George and Vinny Testeverde were all players who were obviously in decline, yet we forced them into roles they were ill equipped for. To compound that, some fans expected a return to glory and were sorely disappointed.

When is the last time a player just was mediocre and yet rebounded to produce as a high level? It is rare and for every one sweet story, there are ten nightmares.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have never claimed that Bledsoe is some type of savior but on the other hand it took 11 bad years for Vinny before he got matched up with Parcells and had a Pro Bowl year in his 12th season with the Jets. Which tells me no one knows how Bledsoe will do and yes it does matter who you are playing for, some coaches can get more out of a player and knows how to play to the strength of a player.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Like Kittmama said, who exactly has claimed that Bledsoe is going to be some great quarterback for us? Most of what I've seen are hopes that he'll be competent and an upgrade over Vinny... Not an outrageous hope at all.

Most of the enthusiam about this team comes from Rivera helping the O line, Barber and Thomas behind Julius boosting the running game, and Ferguson, Henry, Spears, Ware, and Burnett helping the defense -- not Drew Bledsoe riding to our rescue and becoming a savior.