Some reflection and Draft thoughts

Rayman70

Reaction score
Mods move this if you need to over to the draft board. Anywho, What do you all look for in a draftee or UDFA? Is it one trait that trumps another or do you want the complete package? ...ie high character...speed or leadership? If you had tp choose ONE trait that you see for example in a guy like say, Ed Oliver or one of the top safeties in this draft, what would cause you to say, I want that guy over the other? For me, if we are talkin safety, I wanna guy that may not be a combine stud,but just balls like crazy on tape and makes the entire defense better. My guy at safety would need traits similar to Billy Bates back in the day and or Everson Walls. I REALLY like Adderly and Darnell Savage . I sure miss the days of instinctive players that had class and character...and were just good team guys that elevated the play. TO ME..thats why Earl Thomas would have been great. He's a throw back. Give me your thoughts.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Mods move this if you need to over to the draft board. Anywho, What do you all look for in a draftee or UDFA? Is it one trait that trumps another or do you want the complete package? ...ie high character...speed or leadership? If you had tp choose ONE trait that you see for example in a guy like say, Ed Oliver or one of the top safeties in this draft, what would cause you to say, I want that guy over the other? For me, if we are talkin safety, I wanna guy that may not be a combine stud,but just balls like crazy on tape and makes the entire defense better. My guy at safety would need traits similar to Billy Bates back in the day and or Everson Walls. I REALLY like Adderly and Darnell Savage . I sure miss the days of instinctive players that had class and character...and were just good team guys that elevated the play. TO ME..thats why Earl Thomas would have been great. He's a throw back. Give me your thoughts.
My Philosophy is most Worthy. I truly believe if you draft for need you get burned. And if you draft 4 best on board you don't feel the position of need. Most Worthy is a combination of three aspects. Talent need fit

Rayman70

Reaction score
My Philosophy is most Worthy. I truly believe if you draft for need you get burned. And if you draft 4 best on board you don't feel the position of need. Most Worthy is a combination of three aspects. Talent need fit
I like that thought process. Works for me. I think its a fine line between need and BPA. Its folks smarter than us I guess (WILL MCCLAY) that must make that tough decision.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I like that thought process. Works for me. I think its a fine line between need and BPA. Its folks smarter than us I guess (WILL MCCLAY) that must make that tough decision.
I tell people Jerry has not made a football decision in over 3 Seasons. Yes he finalizes the decision. But it's William Maclay Steven and Jason that are doing all the legwork. I don't think Jerry has those College contacts any longer I totally agree with you

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Most of the UDFA were pretty good players on the college level. I tend to look at guys who seem to have a nose for the ball always around the ball and play with great hustle

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Most of the UDFA were pretty good players on the college level. I tend to look at guys who seem to have a nose for the ball always around the ball and play with great hustle
You have to love guys that love playing football. Nose for the ball neck for the ball that's how I describe Jeff Heath. Is he great no, but he is a football guy that's why I like him. Just an example

Rayman70

Reaction score
I tell people Jerry has not made a football decision in over 3 Seasons. Yes he finalizes the decision. But it's William Maclay Steven and Jason that are doing all the legwork. I don't think Jerry has those College contacts any longer I totally agree with you
yup. I agree on what you said on Jerry. It may be even longer than we know since he's actually influenced a football decision as far as who we draft.I have always thought same as you over the last 4-5 years,that its been Stephen,McClay and JG making the draft decisions and UDFA signings/choices. I think as you say, Jerry is just signing paperwork mostly these days and rubber stamping paychecks lol. I take flack on here about that assumption, but I agree with you.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Mods move this if you need to over to the draft board. Anywho, What do you all look for in a draftee or UDFA? Is it one trait that trumps another or do you want the complete package? .

Great question. I really don't have one trait, but clearly the Cowboys have some. They look for guys who competed at a major college program, who has good (or better) character and who generally has superior athletic ability.

Jimmy Johnson always said something like "forget the measurables, show me the game tape". I generally agree with that but the draft is such a crapshoot I wonder if there really is just one single thing that is a bigger factor than the others.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You have to love guys that love playing football. Nose for the ball neck for the ball that's how I describe Jeff Heath. Is he great no, but he is a football guy that's why I like him. Just an example
Heath should be a special teams star and that extra dime db...that's it. He is what he is. I like him.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Great question. I really don't have one trait, but clearly the Cowboys have some. They look for guys who competed at a major college program, who has good (or better) character and who generally has superior athletic ability.

Jimmy Johnson always said something like "forget the measurables, show me the game tape". I generally agree with that but the draft is such a crapshoot I wonder if there really is just one single thing that is a bigger factor than the others.
great point. As they say, the tape don't lie...But measurables can deceive the eyes.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Heath should be a special teams star and that extra dime db...that's it. He is what he is. I like him.
I agree we need more talent that free safety. We don't get called for that penalty in the Green Bay game for too many men on the field. He intercepts that ball we very well win. My point was I like football players over money Players

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

That's why Jimmy had a revolving door

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
At the skill positions it's big play ability.

At other positions it's coach ability.

And leadership is always a top thing.

So it maybe you already have your leader in place in a group..

so you are looking for whatever else the position calls for.

Size, speed, quickness, intelligence.

And of course you look for players that want to be leaders but need time to get there.

So how do you blend all that?

It take years of success and failure.

Do not know if that answers anything.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
At the skill positions it's big play ability.

At other positions it's coach ability.

And leadership is always a top thing.

So it maybe you already have your leader in place in a group..

so you are looking for whatever else the position calls for.

Size, speed, quickness, intelligence.

And of course you look for players that want to be leaders but need time to get there.

So how do you blend all that?

It take years of success and failure.

Do not know if that answers anything.
Youngest starting team in the league last season third youngest overall. The experience for this young group was priceless. I thought Prescott took over the leadership of the offense two seasons ago when Elliot was out. The Head Over Heels touchdown in the endzone I believe against the Falcons it was. For me that's when he took over the leadership of the offense.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Careful reading too much into combine workouts. Plenty of guys test way above what their college production was. Look for guys who did well, test average or above, and are well known for putting in tons of work. It's the hardest working guys that succeed.

BillyBates

Reaction score
I would go with character and instincts. with this intact you have the clay which to work with. our LB Vander Esch is a perfect example.
our avatar choices Mr Bates went undrafted. let that sink in for those whom never seen him play. Walls and forgive me but Ronny Lott was another instinctive player.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Careful reading too much into combine workouts. Plenty of guys test way above what their college production was. Look for guys who did well, test average or above, and are well known for putting in tons of work. It's the hardest working guys that succeed.
AGREE..thats also my take. Show me a player that has a great combine,but poor game tape, and I will show you a poor practice player and lax worker. Can't take time off in todays NFL.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I would go with character and instincts. with this intact you have the clay which to work with. our LB Vander Esch is a perfect example.
our avatar choices Mr Bates went undrafted. let that sink in for those whom never seen him play. Walls and forgive me but Ronny Lott was another instinctive player.
GREAT example. LVE is a throwback and a complete person and player. Great point on Ronnie and yup..Tom Landry and our great scouts found Bates ..UDFA. In many ways Witten and Bates remind me of the same kinda driven leaders and workers. I know they both played at Tennessee,but they are similar in work ethic. LOVE IT. Its infectious.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I will go far back as to say this I remember when Bill Bates would train with the rubber band around his waist practicing speed.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
GREAT example. LVE is a throwback and a complete person and player. Great point on Ronnie and yup..Tom Landry and our great scouts found Bates ..UDFA. In many ways Witten and Bates remind me of the same kinda driven leaders and workers. I know they both played at Tennessee,but they are similar in work ethic. LOVE IT. Its infectious.
I am impressed. People who actually understand what it means to get it. That's my most worthy my mr. Cowboy. Rodger Staubach Jason Witten Sean Lee the great Bob Lilly.