Sorry Folks But Brian Baldinger Says Great Call By Mike McCarthy

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Tape Doesn't Lie..

NFL Week To Week League..

You MM Haters Are Going To Get Serious Heart Attack..

Chill Out..:popcorn:

Great play, but Baldy's saying it was a communication breakdown (cue the Zeppelin) by the Chargers, not some genius play design.

Last edited:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
A good portion of the posts on this board anymore are just one side calling out the other side.
For real. I have never seen so many people post while looking over their shoulder worried about what someone else might have to say about it. It's so insecure.

SackMaster

Reaction score
See ... I told you Dak was slow. EVERYONE was slow. So slow in fact, that at a few points it was like they weren't even moving.
:muttley:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So Brian Baldinger says it was a great call so everyone who claims it wasn’t is wrong? Lol

vlad

Reaction score
I would say ppl have an issue with the frequency at which plays are designed to isolate players in compromising positions…. Something like that

Rayman70

Reaction score
What bothered me the most was what Troy pointed out. Where was the timing? Most of Daks plays, and a large part of our offensive success was due to him escaping and improvising. That can not be counted on with consistency. I'd like to see the scheme actually creat separation and opportunities. That isn't happening often enough.
exactly!! With Troys mindset, apply that to Mahomes,Hurts,Tua. See how dumb what he said actually is? I agree with ya. Its never good enough it seems is it. Im sick of it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
well, it did work.
Against the Chargers it worked. It’s obvious McCarthy has no confidence we can score TDs in the redzone so we settled for the FG. However, that won’t work against the better teams.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
It was a great call, but that doesn't mean he had a great overall game. How is that a foreign concept?
Yes, exactly.

It's been so rare this season when I thought after a Cowboys offensive play, "Now THAT was a great call." Yes, the QB keeper against the Chargers was one of them. But I can't think of many others, where the defense was completely fooled, and someone was WIDE open, or the RB (or in this case, the QB) runs untouched.

Maybe 5 times ALL season, and that may be generous. Most times the Cowboys have to earn every yard, because the OC is not calling a good game.

It's really perplexing to me that MM will try to pound the rock up the middle at the start of a game, yet will only call a handful of play action pass plays ALL GAME. :mad: Either pass to set up the run, especially if there's a distinct advantage in the passing game, or...pound the rock and use lots of play action. To pound the rock and then not use play action is a true sign of a bad OC to me, and MM has not been impressive.

Basically, the Cowboys likely lose to the Chargers if Dak wasn't able to escape the pocket as often as he did, which I call "broken play heroics". Too often, why isn't anyone open once Dak's back foot hits the turf? Maybe they need to use more motion and pre-snap adjustments so Dak can read the defense. This is not the sign of a crisp, effective offense.
Thus, as soon as Dak isn't able to escape, and those days are coming, then this offense will be putrid. And the defense and STs will have to carry them.

So far, MM has been far from impressive, and I'm starting to lose hope...but truth be told, I was never that excited when I heard he was taking over play-calling. He was not some spectacular OC in Green Bay, he simply had a hall-of-fame QB, A-A-Ron, to fall back on.

But, having said all of that, I don't want Moore back either. LOL Go find us a younger, hungry OC who's looking for a place to show his talents. We should have tried Eric Bieniemy or some college OC genius. I can't imagine anyone being worse at calling plays that MM, especially the first drive scripts. The Cowboys O comes out every game looking like NONE of them watched any film, run the same predictable running plays, and too often go 3 and out. It truly is pitiful. While the other team comes out and often exploits every Cowboys defensive weakness and moves the ball downfield. The dichotomy is painful to watch.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Against the Chargers it worked. It’s obvious McCarthy has no confidence we can score TDs in the redzone so we settled for the FG. That won’t work against the better teams.
each game is its own entity/life. The Rams game will be called differently. I assure u. When MM was super aggressive 2 years ago everyone had a fit, now they still aint happy.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
each game is its own entity/life. The Rams game will be called differently. I assure u. When MM was super aggressive 2 years ago everyone had a fit, now they still aint happy.
It seemed McCarthy was worried we were going to botch it and end up with nothing. He mentioned being concerned about a penalty popping up, but I’m sure he was also concerned about an INT down there. Against Philly, and some of the other contending teams teams we’re going to need touchdowns. Some of the aggressiveness McCarthy showed in the past was over the top. I remember we faked a punt when we still needed something like 7 yards. I believe it was a direct snap to the punter, and he just ran up the middle to try and get it and came up way short. It was a ridiculous call deep in our own end of the field.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
If the defender stays on Dak then Pollard gets the ball and scores. No matter who the defender took, we were going to score.

CWR

Reaction score
Yes, exactly.

It's been so rare this season when I thought after a Cowboys offensive play, "Now THAT was a great call." Yes, the QB keeper against the Chargers was one of them. But I can't think of many others, where the defense was completely fooled, and someone was WIDE open, or the RB (or in this case, the QB) runs untouched.

Maybe 5 times ALL season, and that may be generous. Most times the Cowboys have to earn every yard, because the OC is not calling a good game.

It's really perplexing to me that MM will try to pound the rock up the middle at the start of a game, yet will only call a handful of play action pass plays ALL GAME. :mad: Either pass to set up the run, especially if there's a distinct advantage in the passing game, or...pound the rock and use lots of play action. To pound the rock and then not use play action is a true sign of a bad OC to me, and MM has not been impressive.

Basically, the Cowboys likely lose to the Chargers if Dak wasn't able to escape the pocket as often as he did, which I call "broken play heroics". Too often, why isn't anyone open once Dak's back foot hits the turf? Maybe they need to use more motion and pre-snap adjustments so Dak can read the defense. This is not the sign of a crisp, effective offense.
Thus, as soon as Dak isn't able to escape, and those days are coming, then this offense will be putrid. And the defense and STs will have to carry them.

So far, MM has been far from impressive, and I'm starting to lose hope...but truth be told, I was never that excited when I heard he was taking over play-calling. He was not some spectacular OC in Green Bay, he simply had a hall-of-fame QB, A-A-Ron, to fall back on.

But, having said all of that, I don't want Moore back either. LOL Go find us a younger, hungry OC who's looking for a place to show his talents. We should have tried Eric Bieniemy or some college OC genius. I can't imagine anyone being worse at calling plays that MM, especially the first drive scripts. The Cowboys O comes out every game looking like NONE of them watched any film, run the same predictable running plays, and too often go 3 and out. It truly is pitiful. While the other team comes out and often exploits every Cowboys defensive weakness and moves the ball downfield. The dichotomy is painful to watch.

100% agree on all, just because MM hasn't been great does not mean I miss KM. His 15% dunce plays killed us far too often. Stats are nice, but we are looking for more.

Adreme

Reaction score
Tape Doesn't Lie..

NFL Week To Week League..

You MM Haters Are Going To Get Serious Heart Attack..

Chill Out..:popcorn:

The fact that he has one good call on the year and the rest of them are terrible does not make him a good coach. I am pretty sure you could find random people on the street who could luck into the occasional good call. The fact that he cannot do it with any consistency and has somehow managed to make the same group of people as last year, minus a washed up Zeke, look drastically worse is an indictment of his abilities.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It seemed McCarthy was worried we were going to botch it and end up with nothing. He mentioned being concerned about a penalty popping up, but I’m sure he was also concerned about an INT down there. Against Philly, and some of the other contending teams teams we’re going to need touchdowns. Some of the aggressiveness McCarthy showed in the past was over the top. I remember we faked a punt when we still needed something like 7 yards. I believe it was a direct snap to the punter, and he just ran up the middle to try and get it and came up way short. It was a ridiculous call deep in our own end of the field.
MM was right in that. We were sloppy. He wanted sure points in a game that was wrought with poor refs and bad line play. It was why we won the game.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The fact that he has one good call on the year and the rest of them are terrible does not make him a good coach. I am pretty sure you could find random people on the street who could luck into the occasional good call. The fact that he cannot do it with any consistency and has somehow managed to make the same group of people as last year, minus a washed up Zeke, look drastically worse is an indictment of his abilities.
we did win the game. Like MM or not, he wins. John Harbaugh routinely gets ugly wins like this yet is praised. But when MM does it, the goal posts get moved.

Adreme

Reaction score
we did win the game. Like MM or not, he wins. John Harbaugh routinely gets ugly wins like this yet is praised. But when MM does it, the goal posts get moved.
And the Ravens fired their OCordinator because he was not getting the job done. If your premise is that they should emulate the Ravens then firing McCarthy as an Offensive Coordinator is step 1. When the team is measurably worse on the unit he is coaching with the exact same players, that is an objective sign of failure.

Rayman70

Reaction score
And the Ravens fired their OCordinator because he was not getting the job done. If your premise is that they should emulate the Ravens then firing McCarthy as an Offensive Coordinator is step 1. When the team is measurably worse on the unit he is coaching with the exact same players, that is an objective sign of failure.
but we are winning. Its insane 2 fire the guy because the way we win doesn't suit u. The Ravens were losing btw, when they fired that guy. But if MM loses games and its in an ugly way, Im fine with him getting canned. But heck, if we are winning, lets see what happens. If we do fire him eventually, Id like a younger HC. Kliff Kingsbury is a name. I've heard that Jerry is friends with the Ohio State HC as well. Thats another name. I think Day is his name.