Sorry Folks But Brian Baldinger Says Great Call By Mike McCarthy

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
MM was right in that. We were sloppy. He wanted sure points in a game that was wrought with poor refs and bad line play. It was why we won the game.
I understand where McCarthy was coming from. and we ended up winning the game, but doing that very same thing against Philly or one of the better teams we’re going to play is going to get us beat. If you have an opportunity to take a shot at the endzone and still have a timeout in your pocket, you need to do it. It showed a lack of confidence in our offense and QB.

Adreme

Reaction score
but we are winning. Its insane 2 fire the guy because the way we win doesn't suit u. The Ravens were losing btw, when they fired that guy. But if MM loses games and its in an ugly way, Im fine with him getting canned. But heck, if we are winning, lets see what happens. If we do fire him eventually, Id like a younger HC. Kliff Kingsbury is a name. I've heard that Jerry is friends with the Ohio State HC as well. Thats another name. I think Day is his name.
The Ravens last year lost in the WC round without their starting divisional QB to the Bengals and were a QB sneak away from possibly winning with their backup. Despite that they still realized that they needed a new offensive coordinator. Literally the sole difference between the teams is 1 playoff round and that is likely because the Cowboys had their QB healthy, and the Bucs were not very good last year and were possibly the weakest team in the field. Basically both teams had the same problem: defense was great but the offense had hit a wall and is underperforming relative to the talent. In this case it is much more obvious that the offense has hit a wall and is underperforming because it is drastically worse than last year with the same players.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The Ravens last year lost in the WC round without their starting divisional QB to the Bengals and were a QB sneak away from possibly winning with their backup. Despite that they still realized that they needed a new offensive coordinator. Literally the sole difference between the teams is 1 playoff round and that is likely because the Cowboys had their QB healthy, and the Bucs were not very good last year and were possibly the weakest team in the field. Basically both teams had the same problem: defense was great but the offense had hit a wall and is underperforming relative to the talent. In this case it is much more obvious that the offense has hit a wall and is underperforming because it is drastically worse than last year with the same players.
but if MG catches the TD maybe it isnt as bad as u think. Its about executing. I feel we will get better. But if we don't, changes will be made.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I understand where McCarthy was coming from. and we ended up winning the game, but doing that very same thing against Philly or one of the better teams we’re going to play is going to get us beat. If you have an opportunity to take a shot at the endzone and still have a timeout in your pocket, you need to do it. It showed a lack of confidence in our offense and QB.
agree, and he wont. When we face the Eagles, MM will call it differently.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
agree, and he wont. When we face the Eagles, MM will call it differently.
You’re right, he will call it differently. We’re going to have to take some chances against them and a few other teams.

darealvelle

Reaction score
What bothered me the most was what Troy pointed out. Where was the timing? Most of Daks plays, and a large part of our offensive success was due to him escaping and improvising. That can not be counted on with consistency. I'd like to see the scheme actually creat separation and opportunities. That isn't happening often enough.
We need more creative designed plays. The team playbook is very boring.

Reactions: CWR

Adreme

Reaction score
but if MG catches the TD maybe it isnt as bad as u think. Its about executing. I feel we will get better. But if we don't, changes will be made.
It still is as bad as I think. 1 play is not the problem with the offense. 1 play does not make them go from near bottom of the league in RZ percentage when they have been on top the last 3 years. 1 play does not fix that they are down significantly in every offensive category with the exact same cast. Having 1 good moment does not make you a good offensive coordinator. You cited the Ravens as an example of how to do it and if you do it like them you show McCarthy the door.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You’re right, he will call it differently. We’re going to have to take some chances against them and a few other teams.
Yip. Rams game will be a game where we better be aggressive. They can score. They have an UDFA wr Nacua, that is deadly. With the way our db's blew coverages, we better clean that up during the bye. Rams will embarrass us if we fail. Can't have wideouts running freely.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It seemed McCarthy was worried we were going to botch it and end up with nothing. He mentioned being concerned about a penalty popping up, but I’m sure he was also concerned about an INT down there. Against Philly, and some of the other contending teams teams we’re going to need touchdowns. Some of the aggressiveness McCarthy showed in the past was over the top. I remember we faked a punt when we still needed something like 7 yards. I believe it was a direct snap to the punter, and he just ran up the middle to try and get it and came up way short. It was a ridiculous call deep in our own end of the field.
A penalty or a sack (or should I say "another sack"?) that would have run the clock out. That's what I was worried about, and I think MM probably was too.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Nobody said this play wasn't a great call it's that garbage he did at the end of the first half everyone is questioning
everyone , like all the experts here on the internet?? the armchair internet gms, coaches and payer evaluators whop doesn't have a SB ring a top 5 all time win% inthe nfl and has the DC at 12-5 , 12-5 and now 4-2 start heck even finished 3-1 in 2020 id say hes has us in better pace than many before him..

so lets see lets give wait to the internet and media folks watching from home. or the experienced coach who had feel for the game and had to make quick decision and we won the game.

would not have been close had that zebra 12th man not reared it ugly head ALL NIGHT, especially on that ST play.

sure lets question the professionals. egomaniacal fan and media base. they know better...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
A penalty or a sack (or should I say "another sack"?) that would have run the clock out. That's what I was worried about, and I think MM probably was too.
He was worried about it because he didn’t have confidence in his offense. He’s seen all the penalties we’ve been getting and the struggles in the redzone. He was fearful of coming away with no points. On the radio Tuesday, Jerry said he wanted us to take a shot at the endzone. He clearly wasn’t pleased with the decision. That strategy isn’t going to work against Philly, Miami, Buffalo, Rams and Detroit. We’re going to have to take some chances and come away with TDs in those situations.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He was worried about it because he didn’t have confidence in his offense. He’s seen all the penalties we’ve been getting and the struggles in the redzone. He was fearful of coming away with no points. On the radio Tuesday, Jerry said he wanted us to take a shot at the endzone. He clearly wasn’t pleased with the decision. That strategy isn’t going to work against Philly, Miami, Buffalo, Rams and Detroit. We’re going to have to take some chances and come away with TDs in those situations.
I agree, and to be clear, I was hoping they'd take a shot, but I don't blame him for playing it safe, considering all the mistakes they'd made up to that point.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree, and to be clear, I was hoping they'd take a shot, but I don't blame him for playing it safe, considering all the mistakes they'd made up to that point.
They have an extra week to work on all the mistakes they keep making down there. They better correct them because the schedule is going to start getting real tough. The losses are going to start to mount if we don’t become more efficient offensively especially in the redzone. We can’t just keep settling for three points. We’re going to need all the points we can get when we play Miami. I can’t recall a team that has more speed on offense.

ghst187

Reaction score
I believe his decision just before the half was him “managing” his qb and his poor OL play. If he calls timeout and they run another play, Dak could throw an INT or take a sack. I don’t think he had trust and played the fg