Source: NFL Salary Cap could be $185 million this season

ondaedg

Reaction score
Are these the same people who were paid to analyze and predict the future NFL income who did not forsee revenues falling because of the pandemic? You act like forecasts are somehow set in stone and this is a sure thing. Last I looked anyone can fart in an empty room and claim that he commands the wind.

We get it you don’t like Dak and don’t want him to get paid. You made that clear 1137 posts ago. Time to move on.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I saw a stat a few weeks ago where Dak hadn't lead a 4th quarter come from behind win in 3 seasons.

I saw a stat that said our defense couldn’t hold a 4th quarter lead in three years. :muttley:

And the Atlanta game alone makes that stat wrong btw.

Sydla

Reaction score
198-185 = 13mil. How did you come up with 23?

He was basing his comments on if the cap stayed at the floor of $175 million. The article is just reporting a rumor that the cap could be $185 million this year.

ondaedg

Reaction score
He was basing his comments on if the cap stayed at the floor of $175 million. The article is just reporting a rumor that the cap could be $185 million this year.

Ok thanks. I assumed he was referring to the original article cap number.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The point is you don't know what the cap is going to be. Because it hasn't been determined by the NFL yet.

Dude, no one knows what the cap is going to be right now. I told you ‘insiders’ predict it to be $180M. The owners will get the awful final numbers, fight amongst themselves and the NFLPA, and come up with a number agreeable to get enough votes to pass. Will teams be allowed to borrow? Who knows. Will there be special rules? Probably.

Rich teams vs not so rich teams. Big market teams vs small market teams. Vets getting squeezed vs youngsters. FAs getting screwed with a low cap. Exceptions to the rules. The fight could get brutal.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
They are covered, they are just only 60% effective versus 94% just to make sure people reading don’t get confused (this is also more than enough preventative measure).

Now as for returning to normal, I am to trust the economists and plans that are already laid out versus random person on forums. So I guess I should have qualified it as “Every person who is paid money to analyze and predict future NFL income knows the cap will explode next year.”

Is there data that has been provided by "economists" that you have access to?

Verdict

Reaction score
I am thinking that Dallas had excess “rollover” cap money from last year that will soften the blow a little bit. When it comes to salary cap, everything is relative to what other teams have to spend and what they will spend.

I think in terms of cap room, Dallas is roughly better off than about half the teams in the league. So half the teams will have even less salary cap to play with.

Some of the teams that have more than us to spend, won’t spend it anyway. That all boxes well for us.

The one albatross hanging over the Cowboys is Dak’s contract. I think the Cowboys will try really hard to get Dak re-signed on a 5 year deal, or a 4 year deal that makes sense for the Cowboys.

If Dak plays hardball, I think in spite of the Cowboys’ “love fest” fir Dak that things could spur really quickly and the Cowboys could easily go in another direction and move on from Dak. The runner is going to, and should meet the road with Dak before the first day of free agency if at all possible and definitely before the NFL draft.

I think it is possible that the Cowboys will get Dak signed or the point of no return will be reached with Dak by free agency or the draft.

It is probably not strategically smart for Dak to hit the free agency pool this year with all the cap uncertainty.

Verdict

Reaction score
Dude, no one knows what the cap is going to be right now. I told you ‘insiders’ predict it to be $180M. The owners will get the awful final numbers, fight amongst themselves and the NFLPA, and come up with a number agreeable to get enough votes to pass. Will teams be allowed to borrow? Who knows. Will there be special rules? Probably.

Rich teams vs not so rich teams. Big market teams vs small market teams. Vets getting squeezed vs youngsters. FAs getting screwed with a low cap. Exceptions to the rules. The fight could get brutal.
There is always the possibility that nothing gets done in terms of an agreement. My understanding is that if that happens, the salary cap takes a steep nose dive.

There would be some teams that have a strategic advantage in that instance. I then the Patriots might be one of those teams. The wind always seems to blow in their favor. Something to keep in the back of your mind.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw a stat that said our defense couldn’t hold a 4th quarter lead in three years. :muttley:

And the Atlanta game alone makes that stat wrong btw.

I know. I meant previous to the Atlanta game. He had none in 2019. The fact is that Dak compiles a lot of great stats when games are out of reach. The Cleveland game was a perfect example. We are down 41-14 heading into the 4th quarter and Dak puts up 24 points against their prevent defense. The stat line is awesome. 502 Yards and 4TDs......... but there is no stat that reflects that most all of it was garbage time.

Sydla

Reaction score
So if that turns out to be the number then yet again the Cowboys will be restructuring contracts and kicking older players contracts further down the road and putting this team even more in a cesspool than it already is.

What's the dumbest thing they could do this offseason?

Restructure Elliott.

Which you know is probably coming.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
What's the dumbest thing they could do this offseason?

Restructure Elliott.

Which you know is probably coming.

Add J. Smith, T. Smith, A. Cooper, and D. Lawrence to that list to as that is what the idiot Dallas FO does.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I know. I meant previous to the Atlanta game. He had none in 2019. The fact is that Dak compiles a lot of great stats when games are out of reach. The Cleveland game was a perfect example. We are down 41-14 heading into the 4th quarter and Dak puts up 24 points against their prevent defense. The stat line is awesome. 502 Yards and 4TDs......... but there is no stat that reflects that most all of it was garbage time.

That is not correct. He had none in 2019 so it was only 1 season without a 4QC. He had 3 in 2018 and 1 in 2020. He did have 5 GWDs in 2018 just as an FYI.

To give you an idea of where Dak stands in terms of 4QCs, Tom Brady averaged less than 2 per season for his career. Dak has 9 in 4.25 seasons. Dak is on par with hall of fame QBs like Manning, Elway, Brady etc for comebacks per season.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Add J. Smith, T. Smith, A. Cooper, and D. Lawrence to that list to as that is what the idiot Dallas FO does.

Elliott would be the dumbest of the bunch.

Again, Cooper's contract isn't as bad as people think. He's probably the one contract that might make sense in restructuring.

Adreme

Reaction score
Is there data that has been provided by "economists" that you have access to?

I gave it and the people are the experts who have successfully managed to project the salary cap for the past 2 decades successfully with almost all of their misses but underestimating how much the cap would go up (projecting a 7m increase when it ends up as a 10m). It is not a particularly hard projection as literally the only thing that can hurt NFL revenue is them not being allowed to have fans in the stands, as the NFL has been shown to be recession proof and in fact can do better during one, and considering that it is wildly known that the non stadium revenue is way up, especially in terms of the players share, the question once again turns to "Will it be 210m or will it go up to 220m" and that difference is largely determined by whether it is 100% capacity in stadiums or whether it is 75% early on.

As far as projections go, the NFL is one of the easier ones to project estimates for because of how little they are affected by outside economic conditions.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea because those people all have crystal balls and are never wrong. Hell just look at any crash in the last quarter of a century.
Yep. Frankly, the "economists" are the last folks I'll listen to based on their collective track record and accuracy over the last ten years.

And I'm not knocking the info provided by Adreme, I was just making an anti-economist comment as a joke.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I gave it and the people are the experts who have successfully managed to project the salary cap for the past 2 decades successfully with almost all of their misses but underestimating how much the cap would go up (projecting a 7m increase when it ends up as a 10m). It is not a particularly hard projection as literally the only thing that can hurt NFL revenue is them not being allowed to have fans in the stands, as the NFL has been shown to be recession proof and in fact can do better during one, and considering that it is wildly known that the non stadium revenue is way up, especially in terms of the players share, the question once again turns to "Will it be 210m or will it go up to 220m" and that difference is largely determined by whether it is 100% capacity in stadiums or whether it is 75% early on.

As far as projections go, the NFL is one of the easier ones to project estimates for because of how little they are affected by outside economic conditions.

So then, what you are saying is there are no "economists" or data that was used to make your projections. OK, just wanted to confirm that this was opinion, based on what has been reported by various sources and not data that has been independently confirmed through source material.

kumizi

Reaction score
Come on guys. Wake up. This is all speculation until the NFL comes out and says the salary cap as fact. You guys will believe anything you read or hear on the internet. You embarrass yourselfs. Now this may turn out to be true but to act like it’s fact is embarrassing yourselves.
You would be an expert on embarrassing oneself on the internet.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Maybe I am reading this wrong but if you look at the total cap space per each team for 2021 on the main page, the Cowboys are at $13 million over but that's assuming the cap is $176 million. So if it's $185 million, then the Cowboys would have around $22-23 million in space. I think your mistake is that you aren't accounting for rollover dollars. While the league cap could be $185 million, because of rollover dollars, Dallas's cap will actually be higher than $185 million.

Spotrac has us at $17 million under the cap for 2021 based on a cap of $175 million for the league (that includes nearly $25 million in rollovers). If the cap goes to $185 million, then our cap space if $27 million (according to Spotrac). According to them, our cap wouldn't be $185 million, it would be roughly $210 million due to the rollover.
using OTC they have the cap at 196m. So by OTC Dallas is 13m under based on the top 51. So to sign Dak to a Franchise tag they would need to free up around 24m and get a little money from the 51st player falling to 52. OTC is probably has a very optimistic take on what the cap will be..

Loso86

Reaction score
Come on guys. Wake up. This is all speculation until the NFL comes out and says the salary cap as fact. You guys will believe anything you read or hear on the internet. You embarrass yourselfs. Now this may turn out to be true but to act like it’s fact is embarrassing yourselves.
It's what you do this is the time of year for assumptions...yes its speculation and people close to the know are saying the same numbers of 175 to 185m. Unless they negotiate to borrow from future cap years. I get what your saying but it's like this every hear bro lol