Sources: Hopkins would welcome trade to Cowboys; willing to make financial concessions

Proof

Reaction score
Just a difference of opinion…..
I’m not getting the love for Hopkins. He’s 30 and hasn’t played much more than Tyron Smith since 2020.
The last two seasons he has played 19 of 34 games with 42 and 64 receptions. Only 1 reception over 40 yards. He’s never helped a team win, playing 10 seasons in Houston and Arizona. It’s not like he would bring a winning mentality or experience. Making a couple of highlight catches is what most fans remember.

Jeudy is 23 and has produced more with awful QBs As the #1 receiver.
OBJ has been a #1 star and proven he can mesh as a #2 and make a difference.
If we think Gallup can bring anything this season, there are a number of great young WRs in the draft who could play the slot role and make us better.

I like all of those options more than Deandre Hopkins. He had some great seasons, but with 30 year old veterans, what they’ve done in the past two seasons is relevant for me.
odell is 30 and has played less and sone less than nuk the past two years lol. kind of an odd argument

Rayman70

Reaction score
I agree....feels like a day 2 type of trade with potentially swapping a few picks.

I don't get the panic, the fo has done a pretty good job so far shoring things up on the defensive side and based on what we are seeing there is room for optimism
well said. I think they are heading in the right direction. its just march..we have time.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
The last time Jerry traded away multiple picks, including a premium draft pick for a WR was Joey Galloway and Roy Williams and he got screwed on both deals. Those were young receivers who didn’t have back to back subpar seasons. As for OBJ I’m not on the board with bringing him in but at least he won’t cost us draft picks, including premium pick.
Hopkins didn’t have a subpar year- he only played 9 games because he was suspended for 6. Go extrapolate his numbers out as if Hopkins played 4 more games.

Those deals for those receivers were also for first round picks and I don’t remember those players lining up next to a ceedee lamb. I do remember him giving up 1 first however and cooper being pretty good for us overall. Spare me with the “premium” pick crap.
This team would still own over 15 picks moving forward over the next 2 years.

You can’t mortgage the future agreed, this isn’t. You can’t just throw picks away, we don’t.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I agree....feels like a day 2 type of trade with potentially swapping a few picks.

I don't get the panic, the fo has done a pretty good job so far shoring things up on the defensive side and based on what we are seeing there is room for optimism
Probably has something to do with the fact that the defense wasn’t why we lost in the playoffs again. The offense put up 12 points

Jipper

Reaction score
well said. I think they are heading in the right direction. its just march..we have time.
I am pleasantly surprised honestly...first time I can say that in the first week of fa in a while. If we can pick up a bit of line help, we should be able to go into the draft in a very good spot. The wr position is interesting- have to wonder if they are expecting gallop to be back to form and feel they have the 1 and 2 set.

Jipper

Reaction score
Probably has something to do with the fact that the defense wasn’t why we lost in the playoffs again. The offense put up 12 points
Honestly I think the offense was in a very good spot till they lost Pollard...granted losing one player should not doom the team but kinda feels he and his speed unlocked the playbook

phildadon86

Reaction score
Honestly I think the offense was in a very good spot till they lost Pollard...granted losing one player should not doom the team but kinda feels he and his speed unlocked the playbook
Considering this team has 2 options at WR currently. I think offense should be the priority. Restructuring Dak means he’s staying here so you need to put him in a position to succeed otherwise what was the point.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Current Projected WR 2023 Starters - Dallas vs. KC

Dallas
Ceedee Lamb, 1359 yards, 9 TD
Gallup, 507 yards, 2 TD
Slot: Simi Fehoko, placeholder

Chiefs
Marquez Valdes-Scantling, 687 yards, 2 TD
Kadarius Toney, 171 yards, 2 TD,
Slot: Skyy Moore, 250 yards, 0 TD

Chiefs aren't even trying to win either, I suppose, according to BFE's comment. Their second string receivers, Cornell Powell, Ihmir Smith-Marsette and Justyn Ross have a combined 15 yards in their careers.

-"Gallup the gimp"? Yeah I guess he's forever crippled after 1 ACL surgery.
- WR draft class is weak, but the one thing it has in abundance? Slot receivers. Dallas will draft one, if not two.
Please stop comparing this team and it’s receiver corps to Kansas City….Kansas has an all time great ceiling raiser quarterback in Patrick mahomes. We have dak. It’s not the same and I’m not a dak hater. Kansas City can be fine by having less weapons because mahomes elevates everyone around him.

You can ride him to the super bowl. Dak isn’t that. There’s like 2 other quarterbacks in the nfl like that.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I'm not against trading for Hopkins but I am against the thought process that you give up whatever it takes to get him. I worry that he is coming off knee issues and other injury issues, is going to be 31 before the season starts and was suspended for PEDs. Two of those three I'd be fine with, but all three gives me pause because it brings into question whether we will see high level production from him ever again. How long was he taking the PEDs and was that a part of his elite play? Will he continue to be an injury risk now? We need a dependable WR, not a guy to sit on the bench and say "wait until he comes back" year after year. I'm fine giving up a 3rd but don't think I'd give up a second. It's more the big contract I'm worried about and I don't buy he is taking a pay cut as much as willing to move money around which doesn't save you anything because it hits the cap eventually. I have similar concerns with OBJ and on Jeudy I just don't know if he is the guy we thought he was coming out of College or the guy we have seen so far in the NFL.

I'm confused about who I prefer but would lean Hopkins if it were my call. I just know we need help on Offense. I'm also not so sure that another OL wouldn't be a better way to improve this team. The best way to make Dak a better QB and also our running game better is to add an OL. If I trusted Tyron to stay healthy I would not be as concerned.

Jipper

Reaction score
Considering this team has 2 options at WR currently. I think offense should be the priority. Restructuring Dak means he’s staying here so you need to put him in a position to succeed otherwise what was the point.
Agree and yes we need more weapons and more speed for sure.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Current Projected WR 2023 Starters - Dallas vs. KC

Dallas
Ceedee Lamb, 1359 yards, 9 TD
Gallup, 507 yards, 2 TD
Slot: Simi Fehoko, placeholder

Chiefs
Marquez Valdes-Scantling, 687 yards, 2 TD
Kadarius Toney, 171 yards, 2 TD,
Slot: Skyy Moore, 250 yards, 0 TD

Chiefs aren't even trying to win either, I suppose, according to BFE's comment. Their second string receivers, Cornell Powell, Ihmir Smith-Marsette and Justyn Ross have a combined 15 yards in their careers.

-"Gallup the gimp"? Yeah I guess he's forever crippled after 1 ACL surgery.
- WR draft class is weak, but the one thing it has in abundance? Slot receivers. Dallas will draft one, if not two.
If we had both Kelce and Mahomes I doubt people would be calling for Hopkins

Jarntt

Reaction score
Obviously we didn't clear all of this cap space just to re-sign our own guys or roll into next year. IMO they absolutely will acquire another "big" player by trade or free agency. My guess is the number 1 target is Wagner. He is also the guy I want the most and what a difference he would have made last year. After that I think they will have a better idea of how much money they have to spend and will look at Offense. That isn't to say our defense is more in need of a player than our offense of course because it is not, but that isn't how it works. You just focus on making the overall team better. Once Wagner signs (here or elsewhere) I suspect a move for Offense follows

Landryhat73

Reaction score
What was interesting to hear yesterday was that the Jones’s will pay money for a WR or give a premium draft pick but not both. In the case of Jeudy that might be a 2nd because he is cheap but with Cooks or Hopkins they are will pay (Not current $$) but not a premium pick. This is why OBJ seems to be the favorite if any come to Dallas.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Oh, I understand it’s nonsense just fine lol! But hey, you read a tweet!
Completely blew your "tweet" based denial out of the water yet you persist. Thanks for identifying yourself as "one of those guys".

Carson

Reaction score
What was interesting to hear yesterday was that the Jones’s will pay money for a WR or give a premium draft pick but not both. In the case of Jeudy that might be a 2nd because he is cheap but with Cooks or Hopkins they are will pay (Not current $$) but not a premium pick. This is why OBJ seems to be the favorite if any come to Dallas.
Jeudy you don’t know what he wants. You risk asking for an overpay and losing him or Lamb.

With Hopkins you know what he’s making. He’s willing to play for less. You have the flexibility to extend and maneuver his money.

You also can give him a 3 year deal. Lamb is on his final year, you pickup his 5th year option. You make Lambs first year cap hit small. When Hopkins contract falls off, Lamb picks up.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
if he stays in the game we might have won. I agree. We are very close. What folks don't understand is we were just 2 wins away from being in the SB. This was a great team but lady luck snake bit us again. For all of Daks int issues and Moores weird play calling, we were right there ready 2 win.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
Jeudy you don’t know what he wants. You risk asking for an overpay and losing him or Lamb.

With Hopkins you know what he’s making. He’s willing to play for less. You have the flexibility to extend and maneuver his money.
It’s not me, according to Bobby Belt this is what Dallas is thinking. If I’m running the team and don’t get one of the top three WR, Arizona is getting a call in the 3rd with a straight up offer and only giving them a minute to make a decision.