Sources: Hopkins would welcome trade to Cowboys; willing to make financial concessions

Big_D

Reaction score
I’m not getting the love for Hopkins. He’s 30 and hasn’t played much more than Tyron Smith since 2020.
The last two seasons he has played 19 of 34 games with 42 and 64 receptions. Only 1 reception over 40 yards. He’s never helped a team win, playing 10 seasons in Houston and Arizona. It’s not like he would bring a winning mentality or experience. Making a couple of highlight catches is what most fans remember.

Jeudy is 23 and has produced more with awful QBs As the #1 receiver.
OBJ has been a #1 star and proven he can mesh as a #2 and make a difference.
If we think Gallup can bring anything this season, there are a number of great young WRs in the draft who could play the slot role and make us better.

I like all of those options more than Deandre Hopkins.

Hopkins is a better WR than OBJ

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Even though I should be used to this it's really frustrating to see the lack of effort to improving this team in the offseason.

Here we have a superstar player, the kind of skill position upgrade this QB needs, practically begging for the Cowboys to come get him.

The money? He'll work with you. He isn't looking to get paid.

The reported price? A 2nd round pick. To add one of the top receiving weapons in the game.

Too much? We have to hold onto those draft picks? Especially one that high? Let's take a look at what the Cowboys have done with their 2nd round picks over the last 15 years. Even with the great and almighty Will McClay.

Is there a player on that list better than Hopkins? I guess you could argue Lee, Lawrence and Diggs (I think he's better than all of them) but the fact is their usual return on a 2nd round investment pales in comparison to the instant impact Hopkins would provide in a supposed all in season.

He would make the QB better. Isn't that the most important objective this offseason so we don't have a 49ers part 3?

How could they possibly, even these colossal idiots, not be interested in this? Why am I reading a report like this from a legit team source?

It's an insult to the fans. It's why my blood boils every time we re-sign an old member of the band. Here's an actual real upgrade that can win you those playoff games, someone who can potentially change things and break this cycle of losing and we make no effort to make it happen. We're busy looking for bargains, not serious about winning.

But I guess this is what happens when you have a front office that chooses Leighton Vander Esch over Bobby Wagner.

Meet the new season. Same as the last season.

jerry-maguire.gif

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Even though I should be used to this it's really frustrating to see the lack of effort to improving this team in the offseason.

Here we have a superstar player, the kind of skill position upgrade this QB needs, practically begging for the Cowboys to come get him.

The reported price? A 2nd round pick. To add one of the top receiving weapons in the game.

Too much? We have to hold onto those draft picks? Especially one that high? Let's take a look at what the Cowboys have done with their 2nd round picks over the last 15 years. Even with the great and almighty Will McClay.

Is there a player on that list better than Hopkins? I guess you could argue Lee, Lawrence and Diggs (I think he's better than all of them) but the fact is their usual return on a 2nd round investment pales in comparison to the instant impact Hopkins would provide in a supposed all in season.

He would make the QB better. Isn't that the most important objective this offseason so we don't have a 49ers part 3?

How could they possibly, even these colossal idiots, not be interested in this? Why am I reading a report like this from a legit team source?

It's an insult to the fans. It's why my blood boils every time we re-sign an old member of the band. Here's an actual real upgrade that can win you those playoff games, someone who can potentially change things and break this cycle of losing and we make no effort to make it happen. We're busy looking for bargains, not serious about winning.

But I guess this is what happens when you have a front office that chooses Leighton Vander Esch over Bobby Wagner.

Dak should be tweeting, going to the media, talking to anybody that will listen that he wants Hopkins.

That way Jerry will feel some pressure and if nothing gets done then Jerry looks like the fools he is.

But we know Dak won't do that. Dak isn't built like that. Dak will remain silent and collect his pay check because he doesn't care.

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

You apparently fail to appreciate the value of our second round picks.

Jaylon Smith was a great American success story.

12+88=7

Reaction score

Your not wrong.

I've been literally looking for updates all day this whole week just for this deal.

If they were to make this deal I would be perfectly fine with the free agency period going into the draft.

In the draft pick up a RB and the offense is set.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Why?

Because loser organizations make loser decisions.
What trade would you find acceptable for DHop?
As an aside, I found it a little funny that your 1st like on this post was from Mountaineerfan.
Not saying anything, but got a chuckle out of that.

Generally, I think the Cowboys would be better served trading for him, given his want to be here and willingness to concede contractually, but I'm just wondering what draft capital you would find acceptable.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
He’s 30 years old coming off two subpar seasons .
I don’t see the star WR he used to be .
He missed 7 games in 2021. Based on the stats he put up in 2021 (42 catches 572 yards 8 td's) they would be the following if he had played all 17 games: 71 catches 972 yards 14 td's.
He missed 8 games in 2022. Based on the stats he put up in 2022 (64 catches 717 yards 3 td's) they would be the following if he had played all 17 games: 120 catches 1,354 yards 6 td's.

So did he really have down years based on games missed compared with what he would have done if he had not missed games?

There is no denying that he would make an immediate upgrade to the Dallas offense and allow him to be moved around wherein he could play the slot or outside, and allow Lamb to play outside or in the slot (Gallup is more a #2 outside WR).

As for trade compensation, while Arizona may be looking for a 2nd-round pick, try to offer them a 3rd-round pick and CB Kelvin Joseph.

If accepted, this allows Dallas to focus their 1st round pick on someone like OG O'Cyrus Torrence and a 2nd round pick on LB Trenton Simpson.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
What trade would you find acceptable for DHop?
As an aside, I found it a little funny that your 1st like on this post was from Mountaineerfan.
Not saying anything, but got a chuckle out of that.

Generally, I think the Cowboys would be better served trading for him, given his want to be here and willingness to concede contractually, but I'm just wondering what draft capital you would find acceptable.
I don't care about draft picks after the 1st round.

Give me the proven player over the unproven player any time.

I know what Hopkins can do. I don't know what that WR from Memphis State Tech can do.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I don't care about draft picks after the 1st round.

Give me the proven player over the unproven player any time.

I know what Hopkins can do. I don't know what that WR from Memphis State Tech can do.
Right on. So a 2nd is good and maybe multiple picks to comp might also be favorable, given the picks.
Appreciated bud.
I'm not sure why you'd bring up some probably made up U like Memphis State Tech though, but whatever.
You were making a weird point. All good.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Right on. So a 2nd is good and maybe multiple picks to comp might also be favorable, given the picks.
Appreciated bud.
I'm not sure why you'd bring up some probably made up U like Memphis State Tech though, but whatever.
You were making a weird point. All good.
Okay.

You can go back to sleepy time now.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

Just a difference of opinion…..
I’m not getting the love for Hopkins. He’s 30 and hasn’t played much more than Tyron Smith since 2020.
The last two seasons he has played 19 of 34 games with 42 and 64 receptions. Only 1 reception over 40 yards. He’s never helped a team win, playing 10 seasons in Houston and Arizona. It’s not like he would bring a winning mentality or experience. Making a couple of highlight catches is what most fans remember.

Jeudy is 23 and has produced more with awful QBs As the #1 receiver.
OBJ has been a #1 star and proven he can mesh as a #2 and make a difference.
If we think Gallup can bring anything this season, there are a number of great young WRs in the draft who could play the slot role and make us better.

I like all of those options more than Deandre Hopkins. He had some great seasons, but with 30 year old veterans, what they’ve done in the past two seasons is relevant for me.