News: Spagnola: This Really Is Nothing New With Dak

DandyTom64

Reaction score
Mickey would probably be good at writing eulogies. But I kind of get the impression that not many are going to buy it.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
So here is a 2 for 1 for all you that want to bag on Mickey and / or Dak. :laugh:

Nice article, even though many of you won't read it because it is from a guy you hate about the QB many of you hate. :laugh:

But for those that like Dak, and the few that like Mickey. Then it is a very good article.
He can have some good articles, but I guess many don't like him from the radio shows. I don't really listen to them all that much to comment about that.

But he wrote some interesting things and comments from Kitna.
One being right after he was hired as the QB coach. He watch and analyzed every snap last year of Dak.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-this-really-is-nothing-new-with-dak
Good info.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So here is a 2 for 1 for all you that want to bag on Mickey and / or Dak. :laugh:

Nice article, even though many of you won't read it because it is from a guy you hate about the QB many of you hate. :laugh:

But for those that like Dak, and the few that like Mickey. Then it is a very good article.
He can have some good articles, but I guess many don't like him from the radio shows. I don't really listen to them all that much to comment about that.

One being right after he was hired as the QB coach. He watch and analyzed every snap last year of Dak.

This is basically Exactly what the Trolls have been told by those of us that understand what is going on.

Trolls take another one across the nose.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also he's just an ***. Listen to the way he talks over people, implies everyone who disagrees is at best ignorant, etc. I cant imagine anyone listens to him and thinks "now that's a sportswriter I want to talk football with".

I'd be ecstatic to run into Nick Eatman or Bryan Broaddus at a bar and get to talk football with them. If I saw Mickey at a bar I'd tell my friends "oh hey that's Mickey" and make 0 effort to talk to him.

I'm not saying Mickey would care, I'm just pointing out that hes kind of a disrespectful jerk of a person, occupations aside

Have you ever actually met him to say that for sure. Your opinion of him and having never met him, if you have not. Means nothing.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Mickey is such a doofus:
Kitna tells me he watched every one of Dak’s snaps from last year after he was hired as the Cowboys new quarterbacks coach. The 2018 official snap count says that’s 1,073, all but six of the team’s offensive total.

Oooh. The QB coach watched all of Dak's snaps.

Off course he did. He'd be incompetent if he didn't. Dak is his *job*. He could have watched all those plays *in a day*.

visionary

Reaction score
Good post but just have one question about your last sentence. Other than Brady, which is an outlier because of his beautiful super rich wife, which teams have done team friendly deals for QB’s?

Yes, that's the reason Dak wants 34 million, because 25 million/year just ain't enough

if only Dak had a super rich wife, then he'd take 18 million

:facepalm:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
But if you are willing to pay attention, Dak’s been pretty darn good when considering his three-year record starting in the NFL is 32-16 so far, second over these past three seasons to only Tom Brady’s 35-9, but better than the likes of Drew Brees (31-16), Russell Wilson (29-18-1), Aaron Rodgers (20-18-1), Matt Ryan (28-20) and, uh, Carson Wentz (23-17).

And yet....he has ZERO rings to show for it. :popcorn:

People just need to quit trying to quantify this absurd contract...and see Prescott for what he is....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Here's the problem. Mickey has already proven to be an extreme homer. He appears to be a company writer. When this is the case, no one listens to what you say, even if you finally come up w/ something that has credence.

This was actually a nice article. And I stopped reading Mickey years ago.
Yep

His proximity provides some insightful info and stats but his opinions are overly Homerish being on Cowboys payroll.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
What is the deal with all these Mickey posts? His opinions mean nothing. A shill. That’s all he is. His opinions on Dak - I could stop by the nursing home and get more insight.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Dak’s second-half completion percentage would have ranked second to 2018 season-leader Drew Brees (74.4%), and interestingly enough, Brees and Kirk Cousins (70.1%) were the only two NFL QBs among the qualifying leaders to complete more than 70% of their passes. And when it came to QB ratings, Dak’s 103.4 that second half would have ranked sixth in the final season ratings.

Here's my problem with Spagnola and others using this to try to boost Dak up in the QB ratings: It throws out a lot of the statistically worse games for Prescott but doesn't do the same for the other quarterbacks. Take out their worst games and you'll probably have a pretty good crowd of QBs who completed more than 70% of their passes.

If we want to use these stats to say that Dak played well the second half of the season, I'm all for that ... and hope he builds on that. You just can't use them to statistically move him up the scale because you are comparing eight games to all 16 that the other QBs played.

Now, if someone wants to compare Dak's last eight games with all of the other QB's last eight games, I'm all for that as a fair head-to-head measure.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Have you ever actually met him to say that for sure. Your opinion of him and having never met him, if you have not. Means nothing.

I'm going off of how he treats his coworkers and everyone who calls in to the show that disagrees with him in the slightest. I suppose it's possible he's only a jerk to people when he's in the recording booth but I think we can safely use some deductive reasoning here.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's my problem with Spagnola and others using this to try to boost Dak up in the QB ratings: It throws out a lot of the statistically worse games for Prescott but doesn't do the same for the other quarterbacks. Take out their worst games and you'll probably have a pretty good crowd of QBs who completed more than 70% of their passes.

If we want to use these stats to say that Dak played well the second half of the season, I'm all for that ... and hope he builds on that. You just can't use them to statistically move him up the scale because you are comparing eight games to all 16 that the other QBs played.

Now, if someone wants to compare Dak's last eight games with all of the other QB's last eight games, I'm all for that as a fair head-to-head measure.

It is just not him doing that, it is just about everyone. How many times have you seen on here someone cherry picking stats and games for any player to make their biased point.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm going off of how he treats his coworkers and everyone who calls in to the show that disagrees with him in the slightest. I suppose it's possible he's only a jerk to people when he's in the recording booth but I think we can safely use some deductive reasoning here.

Fair enough.
Like I said, I can't go by the radio shows. I don't listen to them all that often, and is usually bits and pieces. I don't get much from those shows at this time of the year.
Since you listen, I will take your word for it, as others on here said the same thing throughout the years as well.

All I remember was Mickey writing for the papers and yearly magazines years ago. And his articles from the Cowboys Weekly. And the pregame shows for the preseason games. I been reading his stuff since the early 80's, and never had a bad opinion of his writings. Except a few times they were some head scratchers.
And so what in some of his articles some see it as too homerish. A lot better that all the hate from all the other local media. Like Randy Galloway before he retired, and his cronies. Better than a lot of crap that gets spewed on here constantly then repeated over and over.

Now if you want someone that would berate people for not agreeing with him, or would question him. Is Norm Hitzges. He would cut people off on the phone, then berate that person in a 10 minute rant.
Norm was great, but not when he did that. I stopped listening to that station. Maybe will listen once in a while once TC starts. He would never let them express their opinion. I guess he felt it gave him power to do so.

kskboys

Reaction score
Mickey would probably be good at writing eulogies. But I kind of get the impression that not many are going to buy it.
And that's the problem w/ writing slanted stuff. It gets to where no one believes you any more.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have good memories of Mick from the pre-interwebz days when my Cowboys news came through the Dallas Cowboys Weekly Newsletter. Nowadays I'm glad he's still plugging away spreading positive vibes in a sports media that's 80% negative. :flagwave:

Before he worked for the Cowboys, Mickey was a good reporter (Times Herald, fax newsletter, helped on preseason TV and radio and provided info that other's didn't such as details about roster management rules and some some cap details.

As a Cowboys employee he has gotten lazy and gotten an inflated ego.