Speculating on Tony Romo's trade value **merged**

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
he just built an enormous mansion here. I have to think He plays here until he can't do it anymore or gets benched and then retires. I don't believe he ever plays anywhere else because of the back issues he has had. I do not think he would be willing to put his health on the line for another team.

I thought his new place was in Cali?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
37 years old next season

Back broke twice ...... collarbone broke 3 times

Has played 4 games since Jan of 2015 ....... winning 3 of them.

But people think teams will give up multiple first round picks ........

Jeebus

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
He would get a 1st round pick minimum.....QB are gold in this league and GMs need to win now

Even though Dallas fans don't beleive it, Romo is elite and a ton of teams would love to have him

Dak would fetch multiple 1sts but I don't advise trading either......it would be best to work out a new contract with Romo after this year

QB's are gold, but so are first round draft picks.

There is no question that Romo is elite. There is question about whether or not he can ever stay healthy over a 16-game season again.

The only comparable scenarios to Romo are the Carson Palmer and Drew Bledsoe trades - both fetched first rounders, but both were also 31 at the time. Both also weren't coming off consecutive debilitating back/shoulder injuries. Romo will be 37 by the time next season rolls around.

So what's all that worth? It's worth something, but definitely not a first rounder.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the same thing as the group of people who were saying "Trade Leary!" and when trying to explain that we were one offensive line injury away from needing him to maintain the strength of our team, we heard, "Who cares? We should trade him and get something for him while we can."

Macnalty

Reaction score
I say just deal with it we are going to have the highest priced backup in the NFL at some point. The short week in November is going to play heck with Tony's back.

slick325

Reaction score
This is the same thing as the group of people who were saying "Trade Leary!" and when trying to explain that we were one offensive line injury away from needing him to maintain the strength of our team, we heard, "Who cares? We should trade him and get something for him while we can."

Hey...stop bringing up old stuff @Reality. Geez...I already admitted my mistake. Lol

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If they got a 2nd round pick offer for Leary they would have and should have taken it

You can draft an OL like CGreen and get 4 years of service instead of 1 and you could use the 2.5m for a back-up and sign a more versatile OL that could also back-up OC

I am not advocating trading Romo, but having a starting QB on a 4th round contract gives a team a huge advantage with the cap...but that is only for 4 years.....if we keep Romo the entire time that is one aspect wasted

ConceptCoop

Reaction score

He costs too much.

I don't think this is the case. We're on the hook for 5M either way, so the new team has to eat 20M. That's exactly what it costs to franchise a QB. After that one season, teams can restructure or cut Romo for next to nothing. I mean, if the Skins can find 20M for Kirk Cousins, you don't think a contender will roll the dice on Tony Romo for that same amount?

Reaction score
I think we have two scenarios for 2016 and 2017:

1) Romo comes back healthy and is the starter for the rest of this season and next season and Dak learns from him. After that Romo retires, hopefully with a nice ring. =)

2) Romo gets another bad injury, and we make the move to Dak for good and Romo retires.

I don't see a trade happening.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they got a 2nd round pick offer for Leary they would have and should have taken it

You can draft an OL like CGreen and get 4 years of service instead of 1 and you could use the 2.5m for a back-up and sign a more versatile OL that could also back-up OC

I am not advocating trading Romo, but having a starting QB on a 4th round contract gives a team a huge advantage with the cap...but that is only for 4 years.....if we keep Romo the entire time that is one aspect wasted
Given that Tyron is hurt, Chaz is hurt, etc., I'm quite thankful we did not trade him. It's one thing to trade your depth when it's not a position your offense is designed around, but this team lives and dies on offense with its offensive line. You don't trade depth on your strength when you built your offense around it.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Given that Tyron is hurt, Chaz is hurt, etc., I'm quite thankful we did not trade him. It's one thing to trade your depth when it's not a position your offense is designed around, but this team lives and dies on offense with its offensive line. You don't trade depth on your strength when you built your offense around it.
You are completely ignoring the 2nd pick and 2.5m in salary cap space

We could have drafted Nick Martin at 50 or Joe Thuney at 78 with a second round pick, they are both starter quality immediately and you have them for 4 cheap years

Good teams move guys a year early and not a year late

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
He makes 8.5m this year and 14m next year......that is a lot less than Bradford or even Chase Daniel

His cap hit is much bigger than that, though. It's 14M in base salary, 5M in signing bonus, and 5.7M from a restructure bonus. I am pretty sure we pay the 5, but am not sure about the 5.7M.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are completely ignoring the 2nd pick and 2.5m in salary cap space

We could have drafted Nick Martin at 50 or Joe Thuney at 78 with a second round pick, they are both starter quality immediately and you have them for 4 cheap years

Good teams move guys a year early and not a year late
I was referring to 2 months ago when there was a huge debate in training camp about trading Leary. Of course if way back before the draft we could have gotten a 2nd round pick we should have traded him.

What I was saying is that trading him once training camp got here was foolish and I am very glad we did not do so.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
His cap hit is much bigger than that, though. It's 14M in base salary, 5M in signing bonus, and 5.7M from a restructure bonus. I am pretty sure we pay the 5, but am not sure about the 5.7M.
You don't trade cap hits, only the base salaries

The new team would only be liable for 14m next year and would have 2 option years after that at 20m each that would probably get re-done

Gabe

Reaction score
IF we can get a 3rd or 4th Rd pick for him... We'd be absolutely insane not to take that offer.

Getting a good WR OL or DE would be a smart move as well.

waldoputty

Reaction score
QB's are gold, but so are first round draft picks.

There is no question that Romo is elite. There is question about whether or not he can ever stay healthy over a 16-game season again.

The only comparable scenarios to Romo are the Carson Palmer and Drew Bledsoe trades - both fetched first rounders, but both were also 31 at the time. Both also weren't coming off consecutive debilitating back/shoulder injuries. Romo will be 37 by the time next season rolls around.

So what's all that worth? It's worth something, but definitely not a first rounder.

Agreed with your evaluation.

I dont think Romo can be traded for this year due to cap hit.

The 2017 cap situation is possible but the situation seems to be unlikely.

1. If Romo comes back and plays great the remainder of the year, then Romo would be worth a lot.
However, if we get deep in the playoffs, Romo will not be traded because we want to win.
This would be our ideal situation with a strong QB situation, however unlikely I think this is...

2. If Romo comes back and plays so-so, then he is not worth much.
If he cannot play well with our OL, Zeke and Dez, then how would he do on another team (other than Pats)?

3. If Romo comes back and plays well but gets hurt seriously again, then that would be 3 bad injuries in 2 seasons.
Who would pay much for that track record?

4. The only other scenario is if Romo comes back and Dak remains the starter, then Romo could be traded away in 2017.
In that case, who would gambled a first round pick?
No one would trust his heath since he would be not be tested after the latest injury, and would have only played 4 games in 2 seasons with 2 bad injuries.

Though the risk is reduced if the bonus is not transferred during a trade, the new team can simply cut Romo if he gets injured?

Last edited: