Speculating on Tony Romo's trade value **merged**

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That is less than I thought.
There are so many myths and misconceptions about Romo's contract that have been around since he signed the deal....his contract has been one the best deals DAL ever signed, right up there with DWare

Tony basically signed a 4yr/68m dollar extension and this is year 3....17m for a QB like Romo is a steal

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There's already been a thread about this. With Romo's age and injury history especially the injuries to his back you wouldn't get any more than a #2 or #3 for him.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
You don't trade cap hits, only the base salaries

The new team would only be liable for 14m next year and would have 2 option years after that at 20m each that would probably get re-done

Wow. Then he's a no-braininer for a few teams. We'll certainly get something for him then. 14M is a bargain at the QB spot these days.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He would fetch at least a 1st and probably multiple picks

No one would give up a first round pick especially multiple picks for a QB that will be 37 years old next season and has missed the better parts of 2 seasons with injuries. The only chance the Cowboys had of getting a first round pick for Romo was this past offseason trading him to Denver. With his age and all the games he's missed the past 2 seasons, a #2 or #3 is the best you'll get for him and it will take a contending team to want to make the trade.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
Can we just stop the get rid of Tony Romo talk. We have an elite Qb with a promising rookie backup now people want to trade Romo and put us in the position again to have no backup QB. We have the best of both worlds right now and 2 very capable guys lets let Romo close out his career and let Dak have time to develop and learn from a great QB the torch will pass when the time is right. SMH

Jeeez lots people wanted to get rid of leary too how would have that looked now ? frustrating when people want to dump our Depth

rpntex

Reaction score
He would get a 1st round pick minimum.....QB are gold in this league and GMs need to win now

Even though Dallas fans don't beleive it, Romo is elite and a ton of teams would love to have him

Dak would fetch multiple 1sts but I don't advise trading either......it would be best to work out a new contract with Romo after this year

I don't see either as being accurate Romo could fetch a 1st, but only after he's demonstrated a return to full health.

Its way too early to make any such projection regarding Dak. His resume is only 4 games long.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I hope so much that this team gets it completely together and Romo comes back and leads this team to a Super Bowl to shut these idiotic fans up once and for all. I thought we had them after the 2014 season but no, they can't help themselves and once again they try to make it look like Romo never was elite and a choker when it has been proven over and over again that that is complete falsehood!

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll kick some cash to Jerry I'll kick some cash to the other team
I'll personally drive him to what City will take him:clap:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo's age and injuries the past 2 seasons have reduced his trade value. He can't be depended on to stay on the field. It would take a desperate ala Minn to offer much for him in a trade.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Ok, I'll play using teams not mentioned

Say the Cowboys can trade a 37 starting QB. Maybe or maybe not they take on some of his contract (like Eagles did with Bradford).

Possible teams:

1. Bears - no brainer if they can get rid of Cutler. He went to school in Illinois and could be a homecoming
2. Browns - they move on from RG3 and Romo is stopgap, while their 2017 pick learns. By the way, they have lots of picks.
3. 49ers - can u imagine? Gabbert stinks and they get rid of Kaperidiot.

In any scenario, at best I see a 3rd round pick that becomes a conditional 2, based on individual and team performance. If can stay healthy and is big if, he can play 2-3 years.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I hope so much that this team gets it completely together and Romo comes back and leads this team to a Super Bowl to shut these idiotic fans up once and for all. I thought we had them after the 2014 season but no, they can't help themselves and once again they try to make it look like Romo never was elite and a choker when it has been proven over and over again that that is complete falsehood!

I love Romo as much as the next guy. He's one of my favorite players of all time. But if we can save 14M in cap space and get a 2nd round pick for him - I think it's a no-brainer.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Can we just stop the get rid of Tony Romo talk. We have an elite Qb with a promising rookie backup now people want to trade Romo and put us in the position again to have no backup QB. We have the best of both worlds right now and 2 very capable guys lets let Romo close out his career and let Dak have time to develop and learn from a great QB the torch will pass when the time is right. SMH

Jeeez lots people wanted to get rid of leary too how would have that looked now ? frustrating when people want to dump our Depth

One reason this keeps coming up is because Romo isn't going to want to be a backup and that could happen if Dak continues to get better each week and we make the playoffs with him. If Dak continues to progress, trading Romo wouldn't be a bad idea if we can get at least a #2 for him. With all the issues with his health he'll be lucky to play 2 more years so might as well get something for him if Dak ends up taking his job.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zero interest in trading Tony Romo until after the end of next year, but for argument's sake....the Vikes just coughed up a first and as much as another 2nd for an injury-prone starter who's only under contract this year and next. And he's a lesser player. For the right team, a high pick and a conditional pick is not too rich.

Now, we're not trading Tony inside the NFC, and if we don't do the deal until after next year, age and injury history are really starting to be a problem then, so maybe it's moot.

Either way, for a franchise that's been bitten badly only having one legit QB on the roster, some of you guys are in an awful hurry to get back in that position. How 'bout we sit tight, enjoy the ride, fix the defense, become an actual contender, and *then* worry about who's going to backup Dak the next several years?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Zero interest in trading Tony Romo until after the end of next year, but for argument's sake....the Vikes just coughed up a first and as much as another 2nd for an injury-prone starter who's only under contract this year and next. And he's a lesser player. For the right team, a high pick and a conditional pick is not too rich.

You won't get anything for Romo at the end of next season, he'll be 38 years old and no telling where his health and game will be by then. It won't be easy getting anything for him now with all the games he's missed due to injury the past 2 seasons. The Vikes coughed up what they did for Bradford because he's only 28 years old and stayed healthy for the most part last season. He played terrific down the stretch for Philly so the arrow was pointing up for him. With Romo's age and coming off broken bones for a second straight season the arrows is pointing down with him.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score

Now, we're not trading Tony inside the NFC, and if we don't do the deal until after next year, age and injury history are really starting to be a problem then, so maybe it's moot.

Either way, for a franchise that's been bitten badly only having one legit QB on the roster, some of you guys are in an awful hurry to get back in that position. How 'bout we sit tight, enjoy the ride, fix the defense, become an actual contender, and *then* worry about who's going to backup Dak the next several years?

Firstly, I certainly agree that we're not (and shouldn't) trade Tony before the end of this season. But, at that point, I think it becomes a real, valid conversation. Dak will deserve a chance to compete for the starting job and Romo will deserve not to be in a competition. It's a tricky situation.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I don't think this is the case. We're on the hook for 5M either way, so the new team has to eat 20M. That's exactly what it costs to franchise a QB. After that one season, teams can restructure or cut Romo for next to nothing. I mean, if the Skins can find 20M for Kirk Cousins, you don't think a contender will roll the dice on Tony Romo for that same amount?

There are 4 teams with over 20M in cap space right now. None of them are even close to being contenders, and wouldn't rent him for 20M.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
There are 4 teams with over 20M in cap space right now. None of them are even close to being contenders, and wouldn't rent him for 20M.

Of course not many teams are 20M under the cap during the season. But every team could free that up during the off-season if they wanted to.

And I've since learned that it's 14M and not 20M, which makes it much easier to move.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I couldn't see Jerry ever trading Romo but this is exactly why we also haven't been good in forever

On one level, I agree with you. But we are talking about a guy who had to be physically kept from drafting Johhny Manziel in the first round, a single year after giving Romo a big contract. In fact, Jerry's already changed his tune from "Romo's job" to "we'll see" in the last 2 weeks. I don't know what to expect.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I couldn't see Jerry ever trading Romo but this is exactly why we also haven't been good in forever

I couldn't see him releasing Troy Aikman but things happen when you can't count on a player anymore.