CFZ Speculation - 5 players that the Cowboys should look at trading

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This is strictly my thoughts in my head. However, I thought it could be fun to look at 5 players that the Cowboys should look at trading. These are players who might have some trade value that are probably 50/50 to make the roster because of heavy depth in their respective positions. Right, let's begin!

1. Neville Gallimore - I'm starting with Neville Gallimore. He's a player that we chose in round 3 in 2020. He had a solid rookie season before an injury in a preseason game forced him to miss much of 2021. Unfortunately for him, since then, we've become very well built on the Dline to the point where he has become, shall we say, potentially expendable. However, for a lot of teams, he could probably start. Additionally, his competition at DT consists of Mazi Smith (1T), Hankins (1T), Osa (3T), Golston (3T who can also be a DE), Bohanna (1T - likely won't make it), and Alacron (likely wont make it). I think we probably keep 4 DT. I think he is a player who will struggle to make this team, but could start on other teams. So, if I were the FO, I'd see if we could trade him for say a 6th round pick that can become a 5th if certain conditions are met. By doing this (and if a team were to accept), we'd be able to have a later pick that can either be used to get another late picked player or can be used to trade for a player if needed as the season goes on.
  2. Kelvin Joseph - this is a player that has special teams value who is still raw, but, unfortunately for him, is also in a similar issue to Gallimore. We have picked up a lot of depth at CB, and I think trying to offer him for a 7th that can become a 6th could be good. This allows us to move him before training camp and pick up a late draft pick so we get something for him.
  3. Dorrance Armstrong - I sense that this one might get some flack, but hear me out. He's been a solid contributor for us, and I think he can actually get us a decent return. He's had 131 tackles and 16 sacks since joining as a 4th round pick in 2018. He's still relatively young. However, unfortunately for him, his contract is up at the end of the season, and I think he is faced with a lot of competition at DE. I'd move him in a trade because his competition at DE consists of DLaw, Fowler, Sam Williams, Parsons, Golston (who can also sub as a 3T), Fehoko, and the UDFA land. That's 8 DEs! I doubt we keep more than 6 DEs going into the season. Land seems to be someone that's catching attention in minicamps so far. So, I'd see if we can get a good return for him. He's a player that I could see us fetching a nice return, especially with his age (25) and what he's done so far. I could see a team like the Panthers flipping at least a 4th for him with what they have at DE.
  4. Sean McKeon - okay, he's probably the least likely on this list to get a good return. However, I think, given his blocking abilities, that we could potentially get a 7th round pick for him. We probably only keep 4 TEs, and his competition consists of the following: Ferguson, Schoonmacher, Hendershot, Fant (rookie UDFA), Seth Green (likely wont make it), and John Stephens Jr (likely won't make it). We probably will only keep 4 TEs. So, I think we can at least get a 7th for him, and that'd be decent return.
  5. Markquese Bell - I know, I know. I like him too and we have just gotten our safety spot to being a strength. However, here's the issue. His competition consists of Kearse and Wilson. Additionally, one could also argue that DO is also a tweener at LB and SS. This means that Bell hasn't got much room at safety. He looked good in TC last year and in the preseason. So, I'd see if we can get at least a 7 for him and take it. It saved the trouble of a cut, and we would end up with a pick.
Once again, these are just thoughts that I had. I think trading at least one of these players could be a good way to add draft capital for next year. I think the most likely of these that we should trade is probably Armstrong. I like him, but I think there's just so much depth at DE for us, and teams like the Panthers, Lions, Bears, and the Falcons have terrible defences. I think anybody those 4 would likely be willing to offer a mid/late pick for Armstrong. I'd say the Panthers likely make the move. When I look at the players on the Panthers currently at DE, I think Armstrong would rather easily make that roster. Of course, I just felt this would be fun to look at our roster and look at players at spots where we have a lot of depth with whom we could get draft pick return.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is strictly my thoughts in my head. However, I thought it could be fun to look at 5 players that the Cowboys should look at trading. These are players who might have some trade value that are probably 50/50 to make the roster because of heavy depth in their respective positions. Right, let's begin!

1. Neville Gallimore - I'm starting with Neville Gallimore. He's a player that we chose in round 3 in 2020. He had a solid rookie season before an injury in a preseason game forced him to miss much of 2021. Unfortunately for him, since then, we've become very well built on the Dline to the point where he has become, shall we say, potentially expendable. However, for a lot of teams, he could probably start. Additionally, his competition at DT consists of Mazi Smith (1T), Hankins (1T), Osa (3T), Golston (3T who can also be a DE), Bohanna (1T - likely won't make it), and Alacron (likely wont make it). I think we probably keep 4 DT. I think he is a player who will struggle to make this team, but could start on other teams. So, if I were the FO, I'd see if we could trade him for say a 6th round pick that can become a 5th if certain conditions are met. By doing this (and if a team were to accept), we'd be able to have a later pick that can either be used to get another late picked player or can be used to trade for a player if needed as the season goes on.
  2. Kelvin Joseph - this is a player that has special teams value who is still raw, but, unfortunately for him, is also in a similar issue to Gallimore. We have picked up a lot of depth at CB, and I think trying to offer him for a 7th that can become a 6th could be good. This allows us to move him before training camp and pick up a late draft pick so we get something for him.
  3. Dorrance Armstrong - I sense that this one might get some flack, but hear me out. He's been a solid contributor for us, and I think he can actually get us a decent return. He's had 131 tackles and 16 sacks since joining as a 4th round pick in 2018. He's still relatively young. However, unfortunately for him, his contract is up at the end of the season, and I think he is faced with a lot of competition at DE. I'd move him in a trade because his competition at DE consists of DLaw, Fowler, Sam Williams, Parsons, Golston (who can also sub as a 3T), Fehoko, and the UDFA land. That's 8 DEs! I doubt we keep more than 6 DEs going into the season. Land seems to be someone that's catching attention in minicamps so far. So, I'd see if we can get a good return for him. He's a player that I could see us fetching a nice return, especially with his age (25) and what he's done so far. I could see a team like the Panthers flipping at least a 4th for him with what they have at DE.
  4. Sean McKeon - okay, he's probably the least likely on this list to get a good return. However, I think, given his blocking abilities, that we could potentially get a 7th round pick for him. We probably only keep 4 TEs, and his competition consists of the following: Ferguson, Schoonmacher, Hendershot, Fant (rookie UDFA), Seth Green (likely wont make it), and John Stephens Jr (likely won't make it). We probably will only keep 4 TEs. So, I think we can at least get a 7th for him, and that'd be decent return.
  5. Markquese Bell - I know, I know. I like him too and we have just gotten our safety spot to being a strength. However, here's the issue. His competition consists of Kearse and Wilson. Additionally, one could also argue that DO is also a tweener at LB and SS. This means that Bell hasn't got much room at safety. He looked good in TC last year and in the preseason. So, I'd see if we can get at least a 7 for him and take it. It saved the trouble of a cut, and we would end up with a pick.
Once again, these are just thoughts that I had. I think trading at least one of these players could be a good way to add draft capital for next year. I think the most likely of these that we should trade is probably Armstrong. I like him, but I think there's just so much depth at DE for us, and teams like the Panthers, Lions, Bears, and the Falcons have terrible defences. I think anybody those 4 would likely be willing to offer a mid/late pick for Armstrong. I'd say the Panthers likely make the move. When I look at the players on the Panthers currently at DE, I think Armstrong would rather easily make that roster. Of course, I just felt this would be fun to look at our roster and look at players at spots where we have a lot of depth with whom we could get draft pick return.
I think you might be able to get something for Armstrong. And I think the cap room and roster spot might be worth it. As you said, it’s a deep position on the team.

The rest are unproven or proven busts you probably couldn’t dump on anyone.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think you might be able to get something for Armstrong. And I think the cap room and roster spot might be worth it. As you said, it’s a deep position on the team.

The rest are unproven or proven busts you probably couldn’t dump on anyone.

I definitely think he's the most likely to be moved of the 5. Like I said in the ending paragraph, I think he is someone who could fetch at least a 4th, and he's in a tough spot because of just how deep we are at dline. I think the second most likely could be Gallimore just with how strong he looked in 2020, and someone with a lower level defence may see him as someone with whom they can build their Dline. I could see a 6 or a 6 conditional to become a 5 from a team that thinks they can use him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I definitely think he's the most likely to be moved of the 5. Like I said in the ending paragraph, I think he is someone who could fetch at least a 4th, and he's in a tough spot because of just how deep we are at dline. I think the second most likely could be Gallimore just with how strong he looked in 2020, and someone with a lower level defence may see him as someone with whom they can build their Dline. I could see a 6 or a 6 conditional to become a 5 from a team that thinks they can use him.
I can see something maybe happening with Armstrong but if they could get anything for Gallimore I’ll be shocked.

I think Armstrong’s fate could be tied to how well a rookie like Fehoko or Land looks in camp.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
4 of those 5 players wouldnt give you more than a 6th

Armstrong might get you a 3 though
I think a 3rd for Armstrong would be spectacular, and it's a move I think the Cowboys should make. As for the ones like Gallimore, I'd take a 6th for him. Considering some of the players we've been using 5s and 6s to acquire, I think these would be splendid in acquiring and being able to use on trades.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I can see something maybe happening with Armstrong but if they could get anything for Gallimore I’ll be shocked.

I think Armstrong’s fate could be tied to how well a rookie like Fehoko or Land looks in camp.

I think Gallimore is basically a question of what other GMs see in him. I can't help but think a few GMs might see what he did in 2020 and think their coaches could use that Gallimore and build with and around him.

As for Armstrong, I think that's a battle he will lose. I think Fehoko will be a very good pickup, and I am thrilled with how Land looks from what I've seen of him. I know that it's only been minicamps and highlight videos, but I think just the combo of those two is just so crowded (along with the presence of Fowler) that I think we should take the best draft pick that we can from him and see what we build with Fehoko and Land. I think getting a 3rd or a 4th for him would be of great value and is a better option than potentially cutting him if he loses that battle. To me, it's a smarter move to trade him and try to get something for him, and a 3rd or 4th would give us nice firepower to use or to trade later if needed.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think we should take players from other teams practice squads and then trade them back to them for day 2 picks

I get that several of these probably wouldn't get much, but I do think that a player like Armstrong can get quite a lot in return depending on how the FO were to pitch the trade. He's a solid player, and his stats show it. The problem that he has is that he's got a lot of depth at his own position. I'd hate for him to just be cut with nothing in return, should he lose camp battles. So, I think he is a player that we should try to move before TC as I think we can get a decent pick for him. The rest, probably won't get much if anything, but were the others on the bubble that I think we can get at least something in a trade rather than just cutting them after camp.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They tried to trade Gallimore before the trade deadline last year. I don't think there is a market.

I did not know that they tried that with Gallimore. Perhaps it may have been because of the deadline. Maybe now before TC and some teams begin OTAs, he might get a lower pick. I mean, a 6 or 7 would be better than nothing, you know?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Stephen is not great at trading players. The biggest issue is too much leaking and chatter from that Front Office about possibly releasing certain players.

Or flat out announcing to the public that they will be cut if not traded (cough, cough Amari Cooper) and killing any leverage at all in trade talks.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I would keep all of them just because injuries happen, guys you count on end up disappointing and all that depth you think you have in May dries up quickly in August/September.

Armstrong is an interesting name to toss out there and if the compensation coming back is worth it I would pull the trigger. The thing to keep in mind with him is that he may actually bring back a 4th or 5th round comp pick if/when he walks in free agency after this season. For him I think you have a better chance at seeing a player for player swap if they get to the middle of camp and decide they need another olineman, backed, etc. I can’t see a team giving up a higher pick for Dorrance in a walk year but also can’t see the cowboys giving him up for a mid rounder either.

conner01

Reaction score
4 of those 5 players wouldnt give you more than a 6th

Armstrong might get you a 3 though
If a 6th
But a valid point. Some of them may be worth more as depth
Now if they aren’t gonna make your roster then obviously you trade them. McKeon may not make the roster and might bring a 6th but probably a 7th since he really just a blocker. But I’d rather have the 7th than nothing
Gallimore might bring a 6th and same with him, if you don’t see him making the roster get something for him
I wouldn’t trade Armstrong because you don’t have a proven guy to replace him and he’d be on opposite side than Sam. I’d actually use Armstrong more this year. On obvious passing downs I’d slide Dlaw inside with mazi and have Armstrong, Sam on the edges with Micah picking his spots from all over the place

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Armstrong is the one player that would have legit value. With Parsons playing so much Edge, and Sam Williams and Dante Fowler playing well, if a playoff team lost thier DE to injury, Armstrong is very much plug and play.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Stephen is not great at trading players. The biggest issue is too much leaking and chatter from that Front Office about possibly releasing certain players.

Or flat out announcing to the public that they will be cut if not traded (cough, cough Amari Cooper) and killing any leverage at all in trade talks.
Are we still not giving up on this false narrative? Look around the league at other deals and the cooper trade seems about right in terms of value. It’s how the cowboys also landed cooks for a 5th, Gilmore for a 5th, and guys like Bobby wager get straight cut instead of traded for even peanuts.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Are we still not giving up on this false narrative? Look around the league at other deals and the cooper trade seems about right in terms of value. It’s how the cowboys also landed cooks for a 5th, Gilmore for a 5th, and guys like Bobby wager get straight cut instead of traded for even peanuts.
Cowboys cut players all the time. Players who have value around the league. Stephen is very bad at this and has admitted there are only a few teams they are "comfortable" trading with.

Look at the WR trades just after Cooper. Lesser players were moved in trades for greater compensation.

The Cooks and Gilmore trades were very good. Those are referred to as "baseball trades"...teams expecting to be bad (Texans, Colts) dumping highly-paid veterans towards the end of their contracts. I hope they keep doing this.

I also hope they get better at moving their players for value.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I would keep all of them just because injuries happen, guys you count on end up disappointing and all that depth you think you have in May dries up quickly in August/September.

Armstrong is an interesting name to toss out there and if the compensation coming back is worth it I would pull the trigger. The thing to keep in mind with him is that he may actually bring back a 4th or 5th round comp pick if/when he walks in free agency after this season. For him I think you have a better chance at seeing a player for player swap if they get to the middle of camp and decide they need another olineman, backed, etc. I can’t see a team giving up a higher pick for Dorrance in a walk year but also can’t see the cowboys giving him up for a mid rounder either.

I get that, but the thing is, with DA, I'm not sure he even makes the squad this year. That's kinda why I listed him here. Yes, he might get a 4/5 after the season, but that's IF he makes the final 53. I'm not so sure he does, so that's why I'd want to get what I can this year.