CFZ Speculation - 5 players that the Cowboys should look at trading

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well if you were a GM of any other team which guys are you trading for? Correct none of them. You might be willing to give up a late pick for Armstrong but only if injuries pile up.

I think it depends on the team, especially when it comes to Armstrong. I can see a team like the Panthers (who's DE room is worse than ours by quite a bit imo) giving up at least a 4 or 5 for him. That, if it looks like Armstrong might not make the team, is a good deal. Especially since it'd be before TC, which means his value might be higher than trading him on cut day.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Let's take a bunch of guys we may cut because they aren't very good and trade them to some other team that hasn't watched any tape of them!!! :)

Seriously though, McKeon is our best run blocking TE by a lot and we want to run the ball and he plays STs. I'd hate it if we cut him - I'm assuming no trade market. I think we go 4 TEs. I also love the potential of Luepke as a FB/RB/H-Back but he isn't playing TE on the NFL level as he did from time to time in College. Looks like a great STer though.
Armstrong is a guy that may get us a 4th but probably a 5th. key rotation guy whereas Fowler is a specialty guy. If someone is gone it's going to be Fowler and he may be if Fehoko looks like a player and Williams keeps improving like I expect AND we bring in another player or find a UDFA who can make the team and also play STs. But I like a well rested Fowler playing 5 or 10 passing down snaps per game. If the kids step up I could see trading Armstrong if we aren't planning on resigning him but I also think he is the #3 DE on the depth chart right now (I hope Williams passes him and love Fehoko's potential too) in the teams eyes. I think we need him this year. Probably the only guy we can comfortably say is capable of starting on the strong side if Tank goes down.
Joseph is a STer only. Probably more value to us than other teams. Not sure we get a 7th. IMO he is wroth keeping for his STs ability alone
Gallimore likely cut. Don't think we get a 7th.
Bell could be on the bubble. Probably either one of the last guys on the 53 or first on the PS. I can't remember if he is good on STs or not, I assume he probably is. Not sure he brings anything back either though.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think it depends on the team, especially when it comes to Armstrong. I can see a team like the Panthers (who's DE room is worse than ours by quite a bit imo) giving up at least a 4 or 5 for him. That, if it looks like Armstrong might not make the team, is a good deal. Especially since it'd be before TC, which means his value might be higher than trading him on cut day.
Nope. Last year of his contract. So no they aren't giving up a 5th and then having to pay armstrong too. Maybe a 6th at most.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Put Armstrong and Bell aside for a second.

The other three are entering their walk year and have yet to put it together. McKeon has already pulled his weight as an UDFA, and the other two are former high picks who have disappointed thus far.

Teams aren’t going to line up to grab these guys as many of them have their own similar players.

I agree with the logic overall when you speak in terms of ‘not going to make the team anyway,” but I’m not so sure Armstrong is in that category, and Bell has three years left cheaply.

The first three guys probably wouldn’t even net a full draft pick, it would be like a late round swap option, if even that. Armstrong may fetch a 5th from the right team (but it’s not as if he has a bare bones rookie contract, and he also has an expiring contract). Bell maybe a 7th if someone is in love with him.

For me the depth is more important than being armed with late round picks, and this FO always sees it that way.

The only one with actual value is Armstrong, but the comp pick they get if he leaves would probably be close to his market value. May as well at least have him for depth and insurance vs a Williams bust.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is strictly my thoughts in my head. However, I thought it could be fun to look at 5 players that the Cowboys should look at trading. These are players who might have some trade value that are probably 50/50 to make the roster because of heavy depth in their respective positions. Right, let's begin!

1. Neville Gallimore - I'm starting with Neville Gallimore. He's a player that we chose in round 3 in 2020. He had a solid rookie season before an injury in a preseason game forced him to miss much of 2021. Unfortunately for him, since then, we've become very well built on the Dline to the point where he has become, shall we say, potentially expendable. However, for a lot of teams, he could probably start. Additionally, his competition at DT consists of Mazi Smith (1T), Hankins (1T), Osa (3T), Golston (3T who can also be a DE), Bohanna (1T - likely won't make it), and Alacron (likely wont make it). I think we probably keep 4 DT. I think he is a player who will struggle to make this team, but could start on other teams. So, if I were the FO, I'd see if we could trade him for say a 6th round pick that can become a 5th if certain conditions are met. By doing this (and if a team were to accept), we'd be able to have a later pick that can either be used to get another late picked player or can be used to trade for a player if needed as the season goes on.
  2. Kelvin Joseph - this is a player that has special teams value who is still raw, but, unfortunately for him, is also in a similar issue to Gallimore. We have picked up a lot of depth at CB, and I think trying to offer him for a 7th that can become a 6th could be good. This allows us to move him before training camp and pick up a late draft pick so we get something for him.
  3. Dorrance Armstrong - I sense that this one might get some flack, but hear me out. He's been a solid contributor for us, and I think he can actually get us a decent return. He's had 131 tackles and 16 sacks since joining as a 4th round pick in 2018. He's still relatively young. However, unfortunately for him, his contract is up at the end of the season, and I think he is faced with a lot of competition at DE. I'd move him in a trade because his competition at DE consists of DLaw, Fowler, Sam Williams, Parsons, Golston (who can also sub as a 3T), Fehoko, and the UDFA land. That's 8 DEs! I doubt we keep more than 6 DEs going into the season. Land seems to be someone that's catching attention in minicamps so far. So, I'd see if we can get a good return for him. He's a player that I could see us fetching a nice return, especially with his age (25) and what he's done so far. I could see a team like the Panthers flipping at least a 4th for him with what they have at DE.
  4. Sean McKeon - okay, he's probably the least likely on this list to get a good return. However, I think, given his blocking abilities, that we could potentially get a 7th round pick for him. We probably only keep 4 TEs, and his competition consists of the following: Ferguson, Schoonmacher, Hendershot, Fant (rookie UDFA), Seth Green (likely wont make it), and John Stephens Jr (likely won't make it). We probably will only keep 4 TEs. So, I think we can at least get a 7th for him, and that'd be decent return.
  5. Markquese Bell - I know, I know. I like him too and we have just gotten our safety spot to being a strength. However, here's the issue. His competition consists of Kearse and Wilson. Additionally, one could also argue that DO is also a tweener at LB and SS. This means that Bell hasn't got much room at safety. He looked good in TC last year and in the preseason. So, I'd see if we can get at least a 7 for him and take it. It saved the trouble of a cut, and we would end up with a pick.
Once again, these are just thoughts that I had. I think trading at least one of these players could be a good way to add draft capital for next year. I think the most likely of these that we should trade is probably Armstrong. I like him, but I think there's just so much depth at DE for us, and teams like the Panthers, Lions, Bears, and the Falcons have terrible defences. I think anybody those 4 would likely be willing to offer a mid/late pick for Armstrong. I'd say the Panthers likely make the move. When I look at the players on the Panthers currently at DE, I think Armstrong would rather easily make that roster. Of course, I just felt this would be fun to look at our roster and look at players at spots where we have a lot of depth with whom we could get draft pick return.
Fans always overrate the trade value of players on the Cowboys roster.

Armstrong is the only one with ANY value but his 7M per season greatly reduces his appeal to other teams.
- If other teams wanted an Armstrong type player, they could have signed a free agent for 7M per season that would be similar.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
  1. Neville Gallimore - Gallimore is facing a make it or break it camp. If all other DTs are healthy he is in for a battle. But Dallas could move Gholston or any other DT as well to make room if those guys offer more trade return.
  2. Kelvin Joseph - Elite athletic traits but still no CB skill to speak of. Might bve a guy who gets it then has a great 5-7 year run for a long career. But he's also likely not getting a 2nd contract in Dallas unless it is minimum wage.
  3. Dorrance Armstrong - I wouldn't have DA on these lists. He played more last year than about 3 of those guys in the DE depth list and is a better overall player. If he leaves in FA you will get a pick anyway. Pointless to punt him a year early.
  4. Sean McKeon - Likely competing with the UDFA for the HBack/FB type role. Not sure he has any trade value anyway. Could be a u-turn guy that drops to PS a few times and elevates in season.
  5. Markquese Bell - Safety actually isn't that deep. Unless someone from behind him jumps Bell I am keeping a very cheap, solid back up.

Overall depth always looks best this time of year before pads even come on. Then injuries hit and you are shallow. Dallas may be able to flip some guys late for late picks or depth in other places where they are paper thin.
That DL is really deep.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
  1. Neville Gallimore - Gallimore is facing a make it or break it camp. If all other DTs are healthy he is in for a battle. But Dallas could move Gholston or any other DT as well to make room if those guys offer more trade return.
  2. Kelvin Joseph - Elite athletic traits but still no CB skill to speak of. Might bve a guy who gets it then has a great 5-7 year run for a long career. But he's also likely not getting a 2nd contract in Dallas unless it is minimum wage.
  3. Dorrance Armstrong - I wouldn't have DA on these lists. He played more last year than about 3 of those guys in the DE depth list and is a better overall player. If he leaves in FA you will get a pick anyway. Pointless to punt him a year early.
  4. Sean McKeon - Likely competing with the UDFA for the HBack/FB type role. Not sure he has any trade value anyway. Could be a u-turn guy that drops to PS a few times and elevates in season.
  5. Markquese Bell - Safety actually isn't that deep. Unless someone from behind him jumps Bell I am keeping a very cheap, solid back up.

Overall depth always looks best this time of year before pads even come on. Then injuries hit and you are shallow. Dallas may be able to flip some guys late for late picks or depth in other places where they are paper thin.
That DL is really deep.

I get that, especially with DA. It's just, I think our DE spot is quite heavy, so, I'd imagine we may see a shock cut there. Thus, I'd like to get a pick from someone. Better to get something than nothing, you know?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Put Armstrong and Bell aside for a second.

The other three are entering their walk year and have yet to put it together. McKeon has already pulled his weight as an UDFA, and the other two are former high picks who have disappointed thus far.

Teams aren’t going to line up to grab these guys as many of them have their own similar players.

I agree with the logic overall when you speak in terms of ‘not going to make the team anyway,” but I’m not so sure Armstrong is in that category, and Bell has three years left cheaply.

The first three guys probably wouldn’t even net a full draft pick, it would be like a late round swap option, if even that. Armstrong may fetch a 5th from the right team (but it’s not as if he has a bare bones rookie contract, and he also has an expiring contract). Bell maybe a 7th if someone is in love with him.

For me the depth is more important than being armed with late round picks, and this FO always sees it that way.

The only one with actual value is Armstrong, but the comp pick they get if he leaves would probably be close to his market value. May as well at least have him for depth and insurance vs a Williams bust.

I get that with DA, I just would rather get something than nothing from at least one of these players if they are likely cuts anyway.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
This is strictly my thoughts in my head. However, I thought it could be fun to look at 5 players that the Cowboys should look at trading. These are players who might have some trade value that are probably 50/50 to make the roster because of heavy depth in their respective positions. Right, let's begin!

1. Neville Gallimore - I'm starting with Neville Gallimore. He's a player that we chose in round 3 in 2020. He had a solid rookie season before an injury in a preseason game forced him to miss much of 2021. Unfortunately for him, since then, we've become very well built on the Dline to the point where he has become, shall we say, potentially expendable. However, for a lot of teams, he could probably start. Additionally, his competition at DT consists of Mazi Smith (1T), Hankins (1T), Osa (3T), Golston (3T who can also be a DE), Bohanna (1T - likely won't make it), and Alacron (likely wont make it). I think we probably keep 4 DT. I think he is a player who will struggle to make this team, but could start on other teams. So, if I were the FO, I'd see if we could trade him for say a 6th round pick that can become a 5th if certain conditions are met. By doing this (and if a team were to accept), we'd be able to have a later pick that can either be used to get another late picked player or can be used to trade for a player if needed as the season goes on.
  2. Kelvin Joseph - this is a player that has special teams value who is still raw, but, unfortunately for him, is also in a similar issue to Gallimore. We have picked up a lot of depth at CB, and I think trying to offer him for a 7th that can become a 6th could be good. This allows us to move him before training camp and pick up a late draft pick so we get something for him.
  3. Dorrance Armstrong - I sense that this one might get some flack, but hear me out. He's been a solid contributor for us, and I think he can actually get us a decent return. He's had 131 tackles and 16 sacks since joining as a 4th round pick in 2018. He's still relatively young. However, unfortunately for him, his contract is up at the end of the season, and I think he is faced with a lot of competition at DE. I'd move him in a trade because his competition at DE consists of DLaw, Fowler, Sam Williams, Parsons, Golston (who can also sub as a 3T), Fehoko, and the UDFA land. That's 8 DEs! I doubt we keep more than 6 DEs going into the season. Land seems to be someone that's catching attention in minicamps so far. So, I'd see if we can get a good return for him. He's a player that I could see us fetching a nice return, especially with his age (25) and what he's done so far. I could see a team like the Panthers flipping at least a 4th for him with what they have at DE.
  4. Sean McKeon - okay, he's probably the least likely on this list to get a good return. However, I think, given his blocking abilities, that we could potentially get a 7th round pick for him. We probably only keep 4 TEs, and his competition consists of the following: Ferguson, Schoonmacher, Hendershot, Fant (rookie UDFA), Seth Green (likely wont make it), and John Stephens Jr (likely won't make it). We probably will only keep 4 TEs. So, I think we can at least get a 7th for him, and that'd be decent return.
  5. Markquese Bell - I know, I know. I like him too and we have just gotten our safety spot to being a strength. However, here's the issue. His competition consists of Kearse and Wilson. Additionally, one could also argue that DO is also a tweener at LB and SS. This means that Bell hasn't got much room at safety. He looked good in TC last year and in the preseason. So, I'd see if we can get at least a 7 for him and take it. It saved the trouble of a cut, and we would end up with a pick.
Once again, these are just thoughts that I had. I think trading at least one of these players could be a good way to add draft capital for next year. I think the most likely of these that we should trade is probably Armstrong. I like him, but I think there's just so much depth at DE for us, and teams like the Panthers, Lions, Bears, and the Falcons have terrible defences. I think anybody those 4 would likely be willing to offer a mid/late pick for Armstrong. I'd say the Panthers likely make the move. When I look at the players on the Panthers currently at DE, I think Armstrong would rather easily make that roster. Of course, I just felt this would be fun to look at our roster and look at players at spots where we have a lot of depth with whom we could get draft pick return.
I understand that you're trying to come up with ways that you think will improve the team but players the Cowboys took in the 3rd and 4th round will now at best bring 5th, 6th or 7th round picks in trades now.. Also the NFL isn't like a game where you can call up another team and say we'll trade this player for this round pick. There are many players on teams that they would trade and get the word out on them and many never bring any responses until finally a team will offer a 7th round pick for the player. Unless the player was a starter most don't draw any attention from other teams.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I get that with DA, I just would rather get something than nothing from at least one of these players if they are likely cuts anyway.
Yep I agree with the logic, but by the same means if we dealt a Friday pick for a guy with Armstrongs resume in his walk year, this place would erupt, so I wouldn’t expect another club to do it.

So it gets to where the depth for the current season is more valuable than late picks when you’re in win now mode. A smaller factor might be how many comp picks they expect to have.

Among the counter points…..they seem to draft better in the later rounds than day two, so those picks have an ok chance to become more than should be typically expected…

Also the cost for key acquisitions Cooks and Gillmore was a 5th each, so it’s nice to have extras on hand.

Plus they are down a pick next year due to the Scott pick this year.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I understand that you're trying to come up with ways that you think will improve the team but players the Cowboys took in the 3rd and 4th round will now at best bring 5th, 6th or 7th round picks in trades now.. Also the NFL isn't like a game where you can call up another team and say we'll trade this player for this round pick. There are many players on teams that they would trade and get the word out on them and many never bring any responses until finally a team will offer a 7th round pick for the player. Unless the player was a starter most don't draw any attention from other teams.

I get that, it's more of a way to try to get something out of a player rather than outright cutting them. Especially since Jerry does seem to like using later round picks in trades to plug holes in other places.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They like their guys....:laugh:

Gallimore
They tried to trade Hill, he was released, as they tried to trade Gallimore as well, no takers. So Hill was released, Gallimore kept for depth.
How about Bohanna instead of Gallimore? Which one has more trade value, and which one helps the team more? Either way, a team would need to be in need of a DT really bad to trade maybe a conditional late pick.

Joseph
Same as above, it would take some injuries to get a late round pick. As Dallas likes their ST's players saw ell.

Armstrong
Now he probably has some trade value, but Dallas views his value in the rotation more than trading him. A team would have to offer up something pretty good such as that 3rd, or a 4th conditional to a 3rd. Then do you really think Dallas would do it...as we say...they like their guys....

Mckeon
Don't think you can really get anything for him. Many TE's like him are out there. If very lucky a late 6th or 7th, or a player swap. We may want OL depth, another team may want TE depth.

Bell
I think they still like his potential and with contracts expiring after this season, they rather play the long game and keep him.
But as with any player if a team offers there right picks and / or players, you have to consider it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They like their guys....:laugh:

Gallimore
They tried to trade Hill, he was released, as they tried to trade Gallimore as well, no takers. So Hill was released, Gallimore kept for depth.
How about Bohanna instead of Gallimore? Which one has more trade value, and which one helps the team more? Either way, a team would need to be in need of a DT really bad to trade maybe a conditional late pick.

Joseph
Same as above, it would take some injuries to get a late round pick. As Dallas likes their ST's players saw ell.

Armstrong
Now he probably has some trade value, but Dallas views his value in the rotation more than trading him. A team would have to offer up something pretty good such as that 3rd, or a 4th conditional to a 3rd. Then do you really think Dallas would do it...as we say...they like their guys....

Mckeon
Don't think you can really get anything for him. Many TE's like him are out there. If very lucky a late 6th or 7th, or a player swap. We may want OL depth, another team may want TE depth.

Bell
I think they still like his potential and with contracts expiring after this season, they rather play the long game and keep him.
But as with any player if a team offers there right picks and / or players, you have to consider it.

I could definitely see a 4 or a 4 that later becomes a 3 for DA. He's a solid enough player imo. Bell was one that I was really debating on putting here, but, if a team were to offer him, we'd have to think about it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

none of them really have any value except maybe armstrong fetching a 5th or 6th from some team wanting depth or lower end starter. plus teams know we are going to perhaps cut some of these players, then why trade?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I think you might be able to get something for Armstrong. And I think the cap room and roster spot might be worth it. As you said, it’s a deep position on the team.

The rest are unproven or proven busts you probably couldn’t dump on anyone.
I think they'd cut fowler before they did something with armstrong

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It doesnt hurt to try and trade these guys, and see what you can get for them.
I would put lamb on trading block, and see what was offered. I just dont think he is worth a big contract.
If you dont get a good enough offer just keep him.

I think for what they will have to pay lamb, they could get someone better in draft or FA.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It doesnt hurt to try and trade these guys, and see what you can get for them.
I would put lamb on trading block, and see what was offered. I just dont think he is worth a big contract.
If you dont get a good enough offer just keep him.

I think for what they will have to pay lamb, they could get someone better in draft or FA.

I don't know if I trade Lamb this year as we haven't got much behind him, besides Gallup and Cooks. I think I'd probably deal him after the season though depending on how he does this season.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I don't know if I trade Lamb this year as we haven't got much behind him, besides Gallup and Cooks. I think I'd probably deal him after the season though depending on how he does this season.
might be too late by then. Hard to trade guys on last year of rookie deal, who want a big payday.
Dallas did with amari lol, but most teams wont.

but no way jerry or his boy would trade lamb anyway, I was just saying what I would do.

Jones boys are not good at trading, like bossman lol, they should def trade him. Even a 7th would be good.
get something out of him.
And like you say in areas of depth, rather than just cut them trying to get picks or other players is a good idea.