Speculation: Cooper/Gregory

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think each passing day, it's looking more likely that the team moves on from Amari Cooper this offseason. Heard Bobby Belt, who is a legitimate insider with the team, hearing from people inside the building could be a real possibility. If this has any legs, you would think they look to resign Gallup (maybe a 1yr deal) and Wilson, perhaps even Malik Turner.

As for Gregory, Stephen reportedly had a good conversion with his agent at the Senior Bowl. He stated that the goodwill from the years with his client with go a long way with a contract extension. This is positive news and is looking likely he returns with the Cowboys. I have said before, would be surprised if he didn't return. They just invested so much time with this player to allow him to walk.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Cooper is going to be a big loss if we let him go. CeeDee, unless he makes huge improvements, does not seem like he can be the #1 guy and still produce.

Gregory hasn't earned another contract as far as I'm concerned. Outside of a couple games he was invisible and made a stupid amount of mental mistakes in games causing penalties.

I'd think twice about getting rid of Cooper, but I'd let Gregory walk.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think each passing day, it's looking more likely that the team moves on from Amari Cooper this offseason. Heard Bobby Belt, who is a legitimate insider with the team, hearing from people inside the building could be a real possibility. If this has any legs, you would think they look to resign Gallup (maybe a 1yr deal) and Wilson, perhaps even Malik Turner.

As for Gregory, Stephen reportedly had a good conversion with his agent at the Senior Bowl. He stated that the goodwill from the years with his client with go a long way with a contract extension. This is positive news and is looking likely he returns with the Cowboys. I have said before, would be surprised if he didn't return. They just invested so much time with this player to allow him to walk.
Im still very skeptical they move on from Cooper. If they do, I think they will trade him for a day 2. The Jones have a tendency to overrate their position in the league's amoung the league's best, as well as the talent on the roster. I dont see them creating a hole unless they get something back to fill it

With Gregory, I think his price came down once he list his 10 sack pace. I think he is in range for a Josh Sweat type deal

glimmerman

Reaction score
Once money talk starts loyalty may go out the window. He is older now and this is his payday. Maybe a 1 or 2 year deal..

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know I'm in the minority, but Gregory HAS to be resigned. The Cowboys have needed DE's since forever and he clearly made some plays and made the defense better. That being said, his football acumen needs worked on. All the penalties hurt and need to be addressed this off season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Im still very skeptical they move on from Cooper. If they do, I think they will trade him for a day 2. The Jones have a tendency to overrate their position in the league's amoung the league's best, as well as the talent on the roster. I dont see them creating a hole unless they get something back to fill it

With Gregory, I think his price came down once he list his 10 sack pace. I think he is in range for a Josh Sweat type deal
I think if other teams know the Cowboys want to get rid of him for cap purposes, they may just wait for him to get released. Going to be hard to deal a player on a large contract. Think it is very telling that management never restructured his contract. Perhaps when Lamb was drafted, they envisioned him becoming the team's #1 WR.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
any move on Cooper will likely happen fairly quick since a big portion of his contract becomes guaranteed in March. As for Gregory, no issue for me in extending his contract but I think it would be difficult to sign him and keep Lawrence.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think if other teams know the Cowboys want to get rid of him for cap purposes, they may just wait for him to get released. Going to be hard to deal a player on a large contract. Think it is very telling that management never restructured his contract. Perhaps when Lamb was drafted, they envisioned him becoming the team's #1 WR.
The thing is we dont need to get rid of him for cap purposes. His contract is a very easy one to renegotiate. He didnt have any restructure triggers built in to his contract like others did. They would have had to renegotiate with him to do that. Last year there was no reason too

baltcowboy

Reaction score

We are all speculating here but the reality is the Cowboys probably could sign at least 4 of their free agents by moving off of Cooper’s salary. He is our best receiver but we don’t use him enough for him to earn that money. The reality is I would rather have a combination of say Gregory, Kearse, and Gallup over Cooper for next season.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Gregory is a JAG, I wouldn't resign him unless it was for the veteran minimum with escalators that start at 10 sacks.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Cooper is going to be a big loss if we let him go. CeeDee, unless he makes huge improvements, does not seem like he can be the #1 guy and still produce.

Gregory hasn't earned another contract as far as I'm concerned. Outside of a couple games he was invisible and made a stupid amount of mental mistakes in games causing penalties.

Without Cooper, CeeDee will get the opportunity to prove he can be a number 1 without having to pay him a top salary for the next 3 seasons. Gregory is a pass rusher that has been dominate at times this season. As long as the salary is reasonable you have to sign him. We need more pass rushers, the Cowboys don’t need to lose any of them. Finally Dak needs to earn his money. The Cowboys will at the very least improved along the offensive line. Dak should be ok with CeeDee and whoever we bring back.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I would have let him walk right after that game, he's a clown act.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Outside of the 49ers game, tell me how
We are all speculating here but the reality is the Cowboys probably could sign at least 4 of their free agents by moving off of Cooper’s salary. He is our best receiver but we don’t use him enough for him to earn that money. The reality is I would rather have a combination of say Gregory, Kearse, and Gallup over Cooper for next season.
That's probably the debate the front office to making, quality over quantity.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
He's actually a very smart guy, but the undisciplined play in the playoffs was very disappointing. He really hadn't shown that during the regular season.

I seem to remember him not being disciplined playing the run and there were a couple of instances where he could have gotten a taunting penalty, despite it was just him trying to be funny. Either way, he needs to tighten it up between the ears and not make stupid mistakes at a critical time in the biggest game of the season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The thing is we dont need to get rid of him for cap purposes. His contract is a very easy one to renegotiate. He didnt have any restructure triggers built in to his contract like others did. They would have had to renegotiate with him to do that. Last year there was no reason too
I believe it's 12 million for restructure, 16 million to release and 20 if made as a post june 1st cut.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Outside of the 49ers game, tell me how

That's probably the debate the front office to making, quality over quantity.
Outside of the most important game of the season during the most important moment of the game, you mean?

Who cares? We all watched him laugh while making stupid penalties on a stop or go home drive in the most important game of the season.

His production is not good enough to make up for all the bonehead stuff. I know ya'll thought he was going to be All-Pro this year and all, but he's just not very good and will probably want more then he's worth.

But have no fear! Jerry will probably 100% give him more than he's worth regardless. Then you'll get to complain about him not being worth it in a year or so.