Speculation: Cooper/Gregory

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Well, there's only a few here that actually know what they're talking about.

You're not included in those in case you were wondering.

You pay attention to what we say, because you probably learn things you didn't know, and respond accordingly like an immature teenager. We don't pay attention to what you say. That's what separates us that know things from ... well... you.
Cowboys do about 90% of what I always post, not 20% of what you and your Brady bunch post. Shows who knows what.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys do about 90% of what I always post, not 20% of what you and your Brady bunch post. Shows who knows what.
And as another user pointed out yesterday they've won nothing for 26 years.

So if the Cowboys are doing 90% of what you say, and they have 3 Wild Card wins in 26 years, then you have confirmation that you have no idea about football.

Sydla

Reaction score

Lawrence is interesting. I think he's still a very good DE but that cap hit is pretty ridiculous at $27 million. He really shouldn't be on the books for that. But on the flipside, DE is a complete and utter wasteland behind him. No, Golston and Basham aren't starting, over 50% of the snaps at DE types. Gregory is a FA.

If you let Lawrence go, what the heck do you do at DE? I hope they don't believe that Quinn will just spread some pixy dust and make a bunch of JAGs at DE turn into superstars. That was the Marinelli plan at DT and it failed over and over.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And as another user pointed out yesterday they've won nothing for 26 years.

So if the Cowboys are doing 90% of what you say, and they have 3 Wild Card wins in 26 years, then you have confirmation that you have no idea about football.
More than you and your Brady bunch will ever have. Period.

Creeper

Reaction score

I sure hope this is not true. But the Cowboys have a big CAP problem and dumping Cooper's salary is not going to fix it all. It would not shock me if Jerry put out the word Lawrence and Cooper are available in a trade. But their contracts are going to make trades difficult. Lawrence, for example. is due $40 million over the next 2 years in salary. Dallas could restructure his deal to lower his salary by converting it to bonus, but then their CAP save decreases for them.

They have the same problem with Cooper. What team wants to take on his $20 million/year salary?

They could restructure both of these players and get the same CAP space they would get if they cut them. The only problem is their 2023 CAP numbers would skyrocket which more than likely would mean cutting them both in 2023 becomes a certainty.

This is what overpaying players leads to, CAP problems, releasing players before their contracts are done, and a teams that gets some success, then slides down the rankings. If they take the field without Cooper and Lawrence next year and replacing them with guys like Wilson, Turner and Golston, they will be a much worse team than they were in 2021.

Sydla

Reaction score
"If the Cowboys restructured Cooper's deal they could free up as much as $12.5 million in savings. If they released him before June 1 they would save $16 million, and they could get as much as $20 million in savings if they designated him as a post-June 1 release." - Jan 27, 2022

https://www.audacy.com/1053thefan/s...e-books-how-can-the-cowboys-free-up-cap-space

The June 1 cut designation is a non starter it would appear. Cowboys would be cutting/trading/restructuring to get cap relief now. Making him a June 1 does nothing to get relief now, you have to carry his cap hit until June 1.

Aven8

Reaction score
This is what happens when you wasted 4 years of Dak’s rookie year salaries making 800k with a horrible HC. Now we have to find a ton of cheap guys and hope it works out.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sadly, where they are picking, there could be quite a few WRs available at 24 who could be best player available.
I saw Jameson Williams from Bama is one early mock. All he does is catch TD's.

He might be the closest WR to Jefferson in this draft.

Creeper

Reaction score
Where are going getting those restructure numbers?

overthecap.com has a restructure number but it is just a speculation. You can do the math though. Just convert salary to bonus and pro-rate the bonus over the years left in the contract. Lawrence has 3 years left (1 voidable). He is due $19 million in salary in 2022, and he has a prorated bonus amount of $8 million for a CAP hit of $27 million. Convert $18 million of his salary to bonus and his 2022 salary becomes $1 million while his pro-rated Bonus amount goes up by $6 million or $14 million total. So his CAP number is $15 million in 2022 which is $12 million less than his original number.

The problem is in 2023 Lawrence is due $21 million in salary plus $14 million in prorated bonus. So his 2023 CAP number goes up to $35 million, and another $6 million goes into his voidable year. If they cut him in 2023 they have to eat $23 million against the CAP but they still clear $12 million from his revised 2023 CAP number. His current 2023 CAP number is $29 million so a restructure in 2022 and cutting him in 2023 still saves $4 million in CAP money from his original 2023 number.

Sorry this is confusing but the bottom line is, they can keep Tank and Cooper in 2022 with restructures but it almost certainly means they will be cut in 2023.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
If we lose cooper over Gallup it will be a mistake.

Gallup can go either way.

Dj would be a better option.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The June 1 cut designation is a non starter it would appear. Cowboys would be cutting/trading/restructuring to get cap relief now. Making him a June 1 does nothing to get relief now, you have to carry his cap hit until June 1.
There could be other cuts or restructures to create cap space now. That would give Cowboys enough space to post Amari a post June 1st cut if they can't find a team to trade him with.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Agree with this. You can’t keep everyone. We have too many bloated contracts. Coopers being terrible. I acknowledge his talent and I acknowledge we don’t use it so why pay premium for WR2 numbers?
Cutting Amari is not the answer, using him is. Just saying. ;)

phildadon86

Reaction score
…..I wouldn’t say he’s “very smart”….he only scored a 28 on the Wonderlic test but he did score higher than our quarterback who scored a 25….go figure

Good Morning , Ranchero!
The Cowboys drafted Mo Claiborne. I think he scored a 6 on the wonderlic. Zeke I think (may be wrong) has the highest score on the Cowboys. Whats that saying? lol

Sydla

Reaction score
There could be other cuts or restructures to create cap space now. That would give Cowboys enough space to post Amari a post June 1st cut if they can't find a team to trade him with.

That would involve some likely painful cuts or restructures that we should probably stay away from (Elliott, cough, cough).

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Gregory is a 30 year old clown who has been dragging the team down for years and some of you consider him a must sign. Madness. If ever we needed to purge someone it is him.

Gaede

Reaction score
Loaing Coop and dlaw are big losses. But teams with no room in the cap have no choice but to make those kind of tough decisions.

Sucks, but that's the situation we're in