Speculation: Cowboys Front runners for Lamar Miller

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All true but it's nearly impossible to try to compare the season Murray had when everything worked perfectly in 2014 on this offense to the season McFadden had when just about everything went wrong.

In other words, if in 2014, Bryant breaks his foot in week one against the 49ers and Romo goes down in Week 2 with a busted collar bone, there is no way Murray runs for 1800 yards. He just doesn't.

That's not to say McFadden is the greatest thing ever. Frankly, I think he's likely to get hurt next year. But people really need to stop comparing Murray's 2014 season to McFadden's 2015 season.

Im not really trying to compare there season as much as comparing who they are. I dont see McFadden as the type of back thats going to allow us to accomplish what we did in 2014. Hes just not a grinder. Not a guy you can really count on 4 to 8 yards every run.

As for last years debacle. Murray may not have even done as well as McFadden did

Sydla

Reaction score
Maybe you should stop and reread his point. He meant Romo would have not returned at the end of the year rather than rush back because we would have been in 1st place.

If that's what he meant, my apologies. I thought he meant that if we won a few more games we'd have been in playoffs and then Romo woudl have been back again.

Reality is Romo was coming back when he did regardless of the Cowboys record.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Jerry just said this week that they got caught by surprise at RB relative to what they wanted to do in last year's draft. McFadden was never more than a stop-gap veteran they were covering themselves with, as they do at every position these days. We're lucky that he worked out.

We'll do something at RB. Either in FA or in the draft this year.

I get all that...time will tell though.

strongarmqb

Reaction score
Dallas seems to want to max out around $4mil to $6mil per year for a difference making RB. This would clearly place Zeke Elliott in play during the draft. As I said before, RB in the 2014 offense was a vital cog and having an elite talent there to go with Romo and Dez goes a long way. Miller is an intriguing prospect due to his age and speed but his price may be too steep. I do think Elliott is an elite talent at RB and the only back in this draft I view in that manner.

The only way to truly control what you pay your RB is to draft him. But at the right price, I would be on board with Lamar Miller.

Well said sir! Getting Lamar Miller frees up the "need" picks in the draft so we can shore up the defense

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
If that's what he meant, my apologies. I thought he meant that if we won a few more games we'd have been in playoffs and then Romo woudl have been back again.

Reality is Romo was coming back when he did regardless of the Cowboys record.

Romo wouldn't have been back as quickly had we won a few games. He came back when he did because he wanted to help save the sinking ship.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That division they're in helps too.

A weak division. A young QB coming off a 30 TD season with room to grow, two solid WR's that compliment each other well, a solid HB. I think they have a good shot at making some noise. Maybe not playoffs, but playoff contention maybe.

As far as surpise division, I think the Raiders could surprise alot of people and take west. I can see a hangover from the Broncos

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
Murray wouldn't have changed that. And it was a total hail mary that Romo would have been able to come back from a 2nd broken collar bone at season's end.

Stop.

If Murray never left, it's very likely that the injury to Romo never happens, at least not that injury. Murray and the o-line would have picked up right where they left off in 2014, and the offense wouldn't have been so pass heavy. The running game was a complete mess in the beginning of the season with Randle.

manster4ever

Reaction score
One thing to note........... if you were to take Elliott at 4, you pretty much just handed him a $25MM check because his contract is guaranteed.

The Cowboys seem reluctant to give that much money to a TB in terms of guaranteed money.

That's true and you can't blame them. He's pretty rugged and talented but I wouldn't want to guarantee him that much dough. I watched him play at OSU and he's a top 10-20 talent but 4? Meh.....I'd love to trade down to 7 with the 49er's, pick up another 2nd rounder and still get him. BUT...we all know if teams get too cute it can bite them in the arse

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Murray never left, it's very likely that the injury to Romo never happens, at least not that injury. Murray and the o-line would have picked up right where they left off in 2014, and the offense wouldn't have been so pass heavy. The running game was a complete mess in the beginning of the season with Randle.

The running game wasn't really a complete mess. We won the first two games, for one. And then we were incredibly hot and cold there for a bit. Don't you remember how that ATL game started for us offensively?

Sydla

Reaction score

Romo got hurt in the 2nd game of the year. Against the Eagles. A team that Murray never ran well against. Look up the box scores from the previous 3-4 games before this past year's game when Romo got killed. Even when we won up there in December of 2014, Murray averaged like 3 ypc.

So any idea that Murray would have ran the ball really well against the Eagles and prevented Romo from not getting hit on a blitz is really a stretch.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They are going to go down the line from Miller to Ivory to Forte and by Friday we will have signed Alfred Morris

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
why? just draft a RB or two, versus paying a free agent.

I believe the idea is to not have to draft a running back. I don't think it necessarily would mean we won't take one. ... Right now, we have one RB on the roster.

Sydla

Reaction score
I gotta say, Fisher really brings it. Great insights.

Reaction score
I hope we have a plan to sign at least one starting RB, DE or CB. Otherwise there simply are not going to be enough high draft picks to fill those positions and you can kiss a good developmental QB goodbye.