Speculation: Cowboys Front runners for Lamar Miller

slick325

Reaction score
Dallas seems to want to max out around $4mil to $6mil per year for a difference making RB. This would clearly place Zeke Elliott in play during the draft. As I said before, RB in the 2014 offense was a vital cog and having an elite talent there to go with Romo and Dez goes a long way. Miller is an intriguing prospect due to his age and speed but his price may be too steep. I do think Elliott is an elite talent at RB and the only back in this draft I view in that manner.

The only way to truly control what you pay your RB is to draft him. But at the right price, I would be on board with Lamar Miller.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Most people see Miller as underutilized in Miami. Many think that if you gave him the ball 350-400 times behind this O-line he can get you 1,500 yards, give or take.

That's the thought process. Is it true? Don't know. But many are convinced it is.

Most competent backs would get close to 1800 yds with 400 carries. Just averaging 4.0 ypc (which isn't that good) would get someone to 1600.

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
Get prepared fellow cowboy fans. This is probably gonna happen at least a couple other times in next couple days. It will be reported that we have shown interest in some of the bigger names but it's nothing too serious. We will have a spending limit on every player we show interest in and we will quickly fall out of the running to sign them.

I'm OK with this. We have potential as a team the last few years not from free agency but from recent drafts.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dallas seems to want to max out around $4mil to $6mil per year for a difference making RB. This would clearly place Zeke Elliott in play during the draft. As I said before, RB in the 2014 offense was a vital cog and having an elite talent there to go with Romo and Dez goes a long way. Miller is an intriguing prospect due to his age and speed but his price may be too steep. I do think Elliott is an elite talent at RB and the only back in this draft I view in that manner.

The only way to truly control what you pay your RB is to draft him. But at the right price, I would be on board with Lamar Miller.

One thing to note........... if you were to take Elliott at 4, you pretty much just handed him a $25MM check because his contract is guaranteed.

The Cowboys seem reluctant to give that much money to a TB in terms of guaranteed money.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
So looks like Miller is out...I hope this isn't going to be another disappointing FA/Draft regarding the RB position like last year was...this team needs a bellcow to be a legit contender

What pisses me off is that he thinks he did well getting McFadden last year. McFadden had a decent year, but it was certainly not enough to carry this team...

Sydla

Reaction score
What pisses me off is that he thinks he did well getting McFadden last year. McFadden had a decent year, but it was certainly not enough to carry this team...

Murray wouldn't have carried the team either when there was no Romo and Bryant was hobbled for 90% of the season.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Murray wouldn't have carried the team either when there was no Romo and Bryant was hobbled for 90% of the season.

We lost a lot of close games last year. You win just 2 or 3 games last year, and you probably see Romo return at the end of the year.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Jerry likes to believe every move he makes is incredible. Unfortunately, hes wrong. If he is actually counting on DMac to stay healthy all year again, hes got another thing coming.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

Could not agree more. He is nothing more than julius jones or mbiii...nothing special about dmc and he sure is no bellcow...we need the next TD or Emmitt...

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I have a feeling that practically any competitive free agent contract can and will be called that this year. And probably going forward.

I can see a day where teams hand out contracts well over value just to meet CBA requirements.

I think they have to expand the rosters. Teams still love dumping high paid vets for low paid rookies.

chagus

Reaction score
Is that a fact?

And let's say it is true. The guy just ran for 1800 yards. I get it. But with Miller....he's had 1k yards ONCE and he barely made it over. I'm not saying he's not a great back but why are people coveting him like he is?

Because of what COULD happen behind this o-line. People are enamored with "possibility".

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
Miller isn't out yet. It's going to come down to where he wants to play. Cowboys haven't be ruled out. There's a mutual interest there.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Thats the issue with going purely by stats. We won in 2014 dominating on the ground and dominating TOP. For as much as people complain about Murray leaving meat on the bone no back in the NFL was better at moving the chains and keeping our defense off the field. McFadden has some great games but he was just too inconsistent

Sydla

Reaction score
We lost a lot of close games last year. You win just 2 or 3 games last year, and you probably see Romo return at the end of the year.

Murray wouldn't have changed that. And it was a total hail mary that Romo would have been able to come back from a 2nd broken collar bone at season's end.

Stop.

Junglist

Reaction score
Get prepared fellow cowboy fans. This is probably gonna happen at least a couple other times in next couple days. It will be reported that we have shown interest in some of the bigger names but it's nothing too serious. We will have a spending limit on every player we show interest in and we will quickly fall out of the running to sign them.

LOL. Of course we'll be "interested" in every player that comes available. Mentioning the Cowboys guarantees more clicks.

slick325

Reaction score
One thing to note........... if you were to take Elliott at 4, you pretty much just handed him a $25MM check because his contract is guaranteed.

The Cowboys seem reluctant to give that much money to a TB in terms of guaranteed money.

You're right Sydia regarding the amount of guaranteed money the #4 pick would make. It's purely speculation and conjecture on everyone's part when projecting what a prospect will do in the League after being drafted BUT...I think Elliott is a blue chip prospect in Dallas. He is guaranteed to have a 1st round grade by most if not all of the teams in the League BUT in the Dallas offense behind that line and with Romo and Dez he is a blue chip player IMO.

That may make the guaranteed money paid to a 20yr old RB palpable to the organization. The 2nd contract may be the bigger issue since I think the kid could average 1500 yds per season for however long he plays with #9 and #88.

If Dallas rates a QB or two as franchise guys...then take them at #4. If there is only one rated that way and he goes to Cleveland, then I would not be upset in the least if they took Elliott at #4.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Murray wouldn't have changed that. And it was a total hail mary that Romo would have been able to come back from a 2nd broken collar bone at season's end.

Stop.

The surgery he's in right now backs that up.

Sydla

Reaction score
Thats the issue with going purely by stats. We won in 2014 dominating on the ground and dominating TOP. For as much as people complain about Murray leaving meat on the bone no back in the NFL was better at moving the chains and keeping our defense off the field. McFadden has some great games but he was just too inconsistent

All true but it's nearly impossible to try to compare the season Murray had when everything worked perfectly in 2014 on this offense to the season McFadden had when just about everything went wrong.

In other words, if in 2014, Bryant breaks his foot in week one against the 49ers and Romo goes down in Week 2 with a busted collar bone, there is no way Murray runs for 1800 yards. He just doesn't.

That's not to say McFadden is the greatest thing ever. Frankly, I think he's likely to get hurt next year. But people really need to stop comparing Murray's 2014 season to McFadden's 2015 season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jerry likes to believe every move he makes is incredible. Unfortunately, hes wrong. If he is actually counting on DMac to stay healthy all year again, hes got another thing coming.

Could not agree more. He is nothing more than julius jones or mbiii...nothing special about dmc and he sure is no bellcow...we need the next TD or Emmitt...

Jerry just said this week that they got caught by surprise at RB relative to what they wanted to do in last year's draft. McFadden was never more than a stop-gap veteran they were covering themselves with, as they do at every position these days. We're lucky that he worked out.

We'll do something at RB. Either in FA or in the draft this year.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score

Stop.

Maybe you should stop and reread his point. He meant Romo would have not returned at the end of the year rather than rush back because we would have been in 1st place.