Speculation: Signing Morris, Eric Berry/Trading Taco?

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
WhatTimeIsIt.jpg

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
KC started Berry in playoffs last year. He must have been ready to play. Should be healthier now. He was a multi year All Pro prior to his injuries. My money is on Berry as instantly our best S, and that includes Woods. The only question I have on him is how long he can stay healthy.

Yeah, they started him. I don't recall their defense playing especially well and I noticed they drafted a kid to replace him.

Instantly our best safety? That's just wishful thinking. That he's still unemployed tells me what the League thinks, and says more to me than all the hopeful fans on this board.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, they started him. I don't recall their defense playing especially well and I noticed they drafted a kid to replace him.

Instantly our best safety? That's just wishful thinking. That he's still unemployed tells me what the League thinks, and says more to me than all the hopeful fans on this board.

I can't believe that Berry is still being brought up.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm holding on to Taco until last min trade deadline. He could be nice trump card for injuries by us or another team around the league.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I can't believe that Berry is still being brought up.

Jeff Heath missed an open field tackle on arguably the best RB in football, so the corpse of Eric Berry getting off his couch is clearly the answer.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jeff Heath missed an open field tackle on arguably the best RB in football, so the corpse of Eric Berry getting off his couch is clearly the answer.

I challenge any of these people bringing up Eric Berry's name to find any news over the past three months about him playing, or visiting teams, or anything of that nature. There's nothing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm holding on to Taco until last min trade deadline. He could be nice trump card for injuries by us or another team around the league.

It looks to me like Taco's is the roster spot ticketed for Robert Quinn's return in week 3. I think the Cowboys would like to get something done prior to that date, but we'll see. If teams know they're desperate to move him, they'll be lucky to get any value at all. It certainly won't be anything close to the 1st round pick they wasted.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KC started Berry in playoffs last year. He must have been ready to play. Should be healthier now. He was a multi year All Pro prior to his injuries. My money is on Berry as instantly our best S, and that includes Woods. The only question I have on him is how long he can stay healthy.
Why did all 32 teams pass on Berry this year?

quickccc

Reaction score
On SS:
Even if they like Wilson, it's silly to think he is better than Berry. If we can have Berry for a reasonable price, we should. We should really bring in the best SS available to swap out Heath. Once it was clear Iloka was a dud and Frazier still wasn't cutting it, it was a no brainer.

Thompson and Frazier are totally expendable. Once Wilson is healthy, one should just leave, and the other replaced by a free agent signing like Berry.

for whatever reason, some people obviously seem to thinking we'd be signing up an All pro Eric Berry - and having missed a substantial amount of games as well as his limited performance
upon his Achilles heel return, he's just not and wont be near the same player.

and who knows what the physical exams and workouts turned out for the few teams that showed any interest,.. I think he's a mere shell of his former self and doesn't
have anything left. I doubt there's any valid movement skills and range at this point.
it's a reason why such a famous name on the back of a jersey of this magnitude, is still available on there on the streets.

quickccc

Reaction score
It looks to me like Taco's is the roster spot ticketed for Robert Quinn's return in week 3. I think the Cowboys would like to get something done prior to that date, but we'll see. If teams know they're desperate to move him, they'll be lucky to get any value at all. It certainly won't be anything close to the 1st round pick they wasted.

so what happens when no team shows an interest in trading for Taco, and Quinn is due to return off suspension ?
Cut him and take the cap hit ?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so what happens when no team shows an interest in trading for Taco, and Quinn is due to return off suspension ?
Cut him and take the cap hit ?

If it comes down to that? I think I would cut someone at the tail end of the roster like Darian Thompson or Covington. I'm not sure why Covington was even added to the 53.

But that's just my opinion, the coaches seem to have soured so much on Taco that they might just cut him. But if that happens, it should reflect poorly on them, and specifically Old Man River Marinelli. He was the guy that pushed for Charlton over Watt, and he should pay for that.

quickccc

Reaction score
With today's release of Chunn, and Garrett's kiss of death for Taco, I cannot help but wonder if a few of moves are in the works. 1. Resigning Alfred Morris for Chunn's spot. No brainer to me. So good in the locker room and better all around backup than Pollard right now (Pollard will surpass, but not quite yet because he's not as physical in pass pro/short yardage). 2. Sign Eric Berry. Seriously, unless the coaching staff is all in on Donovan Wilson being our SS THIS year, the staff just cannot feel comfortable with Heath being our SS after seeing him whiff on Saquon on that long run and continue to take poor angles. We need a sure tackler back there. For a non-guaranteed salary, I'd take a shot on either Berry. 3. Trade Taco for a conditional 5th. To anyone that will take him. (I also thought about trading Taco for Reshad Jones, but I don't think we can take on the salary). Thoughts?

- Re-signing Alf is a waste of roster spot, imo – it would purely be an injury panic/insurance move.
Physically he really doesn’t offer anything of worth. He still has run instincts to sees holes and lanes but what good is that when there’s the lack of burst in/out and he’ doesn't seem to possess
the power as he used to be in short yrd.

- Chunn was younger, faster and could play special teams. Morris has never played SP and no value there.
But clearly they would be opting for experience in this case. But when you’re the 3rd RB in, and very more than likely to be on inactive game day list.

- I just don’t think Berry has anything left. I dunno what his physicals/workouts performed from interested teams turned out, but I question if he has any valid movement skills and range at this point.
For a former All pro and possible future HOF, is still on the street and at the least would have to be a sign on after the first two games, so his roster doesn’t become a guarantee.
That says something about his value and risk. Otherwise he would have signed up by now by some NFL team.

quickccc

Reaction score
If it comes down to that? I think I would cut someone at the tail end of the roster like Darian Thompson or Covington. I'm not sure why Covington was even added to the 53.

But that's just my opinion, the coaches seem to have soured so much on Taco that they might just cut him. But if that happens, it should reflect poorly on them, and specifically Old Man River Marinelli. He was the guy that pushed for Charlton over Watt, and he should pay for that.

only thing I could think of with Covington returning to the 53, is could there be an issue now with Luke Gifford ( IR?) and they seemed to continue to be high on Covington's physical tools and potential.
but there's also seem to be something going on with his durability. He gets dinged easily and he's still very raw and underdeveloped.
Could there also be a case where another NFL team is showing interest enough to try to pouch him off of our practice squad and Cowboys making a move to insure his stay here ?

quickccc

Reaction score
- Truth be told, I hated Wilson got dinged up with the ankle, I really be coaching is fretting having to use Frazier as a sub, and I’m willing to bet they have scaled back and scheme the coverages
where he is not as vulnerable (close around the line, or If deep single, keep everything in front of him)

- Wilson looked sound in coverage and tackling, and his ball hawk skills and penchant for turnovers is very much needed.
He looks like he needs 10-12 pounds added on his thin frame but that should come over time. I would feel comfortable with him as the 3rd safety at this point.

- Taco seems clearly in the doghouse with the Cowboys staff. And with his game experience, role and former No.1 pick status, Taco should have been ahead of guys like Armstrong,
Jackson and Hyder, and even the limited Crawford at as edge end.
But something is brewing awkwardly behind the scenes, Mike Fish has suggested that the problem may still remain with Taco’s attitude and sense of entitlement, he’s tagged as
a “moody” player. And apparently its sipping over.

But there’s an issue with his salary as even if he is cut, the Cowboys are likely to take a sizeable hit on the salary cap, and you never know how a rash of injuries can hit the DL.
and many tend to sense that his best value is no more than a 5th round pick.
I wonder what is going to be happen to Taco's roster spot when Robert Quinn is due to return from his suspension.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
only thing I could think of with Covington returning to the 53, is could there be an issue now with Luke Gifford ( IR?) and they seemed to continue to be high on Covington's physical tools and potential.

If it was related to Gifford and IR, wouldn't that have been the transaction rather than cutting Chunn?

but there's also seem to be something going on with his durability. He gets dinged easily and he's still very raw and underdeveloped.
Could there also be a case where another NFL team is showing interest enough to try to pouch him off of our practice squad and Cowboys making a move to insure his stay here ?

Yours is as good of a guess as any. I haven't seen anything of Covington that would make me worried about anyone else poaching him. I say let them have him. Ultimately, I would guess that the Cowboys will simply try to sign Chunn back to the practice squad in Covington's place. But again, I just don't see why.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't have a problem with replacing Marinelli, but I'm not convinced this is a legitimate reason. Does someone have to pay every time a draft pick doesn't go well or hindsight shows there was a better player available than the one the team took? If that's the case multiple people will get fired every year, because there are always draft picks that don't work out as well as expected, including ones drafted much higher than Taco. There were several other DE/OLBs taken earlier in the draft than Taco that teams would happily trade for Watt now. Besides, it's not as if Jerry, Stephen, Jason and McClay didn't have a vote. They could have gone another direction if they didn't agree with the pick.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have a problem with replacing Marinelli, but I'm not convinced this is a legitimate reason. Does someone have to pay every time a draft pick doesn't go well or hindsight shows there was a better player available than the one the team took? If that's the case multiple people will get fired every year, because there are always draft picks that don't work out as well as expected, including ones drafted much higher than Taco. There were several other DE/OLBs taken earlier in the draft than Taco that teams would happily trade for Watt now. Besides, it's not as if Jerry, Stephen, Jason and McClay didn't have a vote. They could have gone another direction if they didn't agree with the pick.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this pick should be grounds for Marinelli's termination. Just that it should be a strike against him. It's well past time to cut back on all of this "reverence" for the 'great Rod Marinelli' and to actually start looking at production. Where's all of the "talent" and production from this defensive line that he's now completely focused on? They picked up right where they left off last year, getting dominated.

I'm not naive enough to think that Garrett or the Cowboys would ever think of firing the guy. Heck Monte Kiffin took the Cowboys defense to worst in the league and the Cowboys couldn't bring themselves to actually have the guts to come out and fire him. Instead, they did another face-saving move and 'reassigned' him. And they do the same with Marinelli now. Everyone knows Richard is the playcaller and the true defensive coordinator and yet Marinelli keeps the title for the sake of feelings and appearances. That's not a good thing whatsoever.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Why did all 32 teams pass on Berry this year?

Don't know. Neither does anyone else, except Berry. He could just be asking for too much. I'd say that's certainly part of it. If he asked for veteran min, he'd be signed the next day.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

That Berry is still unemployed tells you that what the league is willing to pay him is less than what he is willing to play for. The guy has made over 90mil in his career. He doesn't need another check. Plenty of ** money.

I'd bet on him being our best safety until the pain from his injury limited him. I don't know how long that would take. Might not be true. Maybe Woods is better. But we're weak at in the box SS. Improving over that should be easy.