Twitter: Spencer planning to play below 260

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
After all the rehabbing he went through an is still going through, I hope he can contribute this year.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
It cracks me up that people waste time posting about Spencer if they believe he is done.
If you believe that ignore his threads and move on.

Sure -- but if people didn't post that he was done then they wouldn't be able to come in here with "I told you so" posts later if it actually turns out that he doesn't play at all.

You seem to forget that many people on this board are more fans of telling everyone they were right than actual fans of the players on the team

The Natural

Reaction score
It cracks me up that people waste time posting about Spencer if they believe he is done.

How bout you ignore the posts from those people and you yourself move on

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
If I remember correctly he didn't really have a choice lol. He never had a training camp. He never had time to get in shape. You atleast want the offseason to get back in shape but its tough when you're also rehabbing.

Yeah. Hopefully he can get back to having some of that same speed he used to have. He was faster sideline-to-sideline than some of our linebackers and I think faster than Ware, too.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
After all the rehabbing he went through an is still going through, I hope he can contribute this year.

He was in bed until March or so. The surgery perforates the area where they are trying to cause cartilage growth. It forms a 'superclot' in the area and tries to regenerate the cartilage.

Sounds to me like Spencer was very disciplined in staying off his feet and allowing the clot to heal and regenerate.

He has only been rehabbing the last few months which in the grand scheme of timeframes is not a long time. It sounds to me like he might be ready sooner then people expect if he continues to not have any setbacks.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Anytime a DE is due to attempt playing on a gimpy knee, for the sake of durability he's probably better off with the lighter weight.
If Spencer is able to make any semblance of a comeback bid at all, I'm leaning toward thinking it'll likely be in a situational role.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I hear ya on the speed thing. I just wonder if playing LB again (maybe not in passing situations) would put less strain on his knee.

Probably not. He might 'get by' with less than a 100% but he can either play or not. And I'm speaking about sustained ability to play although reducing snaps wouldn't be a bad idea at least for awhile. Maybe even a year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah. Hopefully he can get back to having some of that same speed he used to have. He was faster sideline-to-sideline than some of our linebackers and I think faster than Ware, too.

I agree and its why he was always so good against the run when healthy. Hopefully he's healthy. I don't mind him being undersized if he can regain his speed.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I agree and its why he was always so good against the run when healthy. Hopefully he's healthy. I don't mind him being undersized if he can regain his speed.

I don't necessarily care about his sack numbers, either. I think in the newer scheme, and with Melton, most of our sacks are going to come from pressure in the middle of the line from the 1T and 3T.

I want what you want -- some solid defense on the backside against cutback runs and on the strong side.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
He wont play this year.

And that is fine if he can return as close to 100% as possible next summer on a deal similar to what Melton received. Spencer is a solid, if unspectacular player when he is healthy. Being able to get a good three years out of him would do wonders for our longterm plans in continuing to build/rebuild the defense.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Agree.

My un-educated guess is that if the surgery did not accomplish anything then we/Spencer would have known by now.

Not saying everything is perfect with the knee, but if it was a total clusterfudge that knee would probably be "telling" him so by now.

jnday

Reaction score
Agree.

My un-educated guess is that if the surgery did not accomplish anything then we/Spencer would have known by now.

Not saying everything is perfect with the knee, but if it was a total clusterfudge that knee would probably be "telling" him so by now.

You don't think the limping is telling him something by now?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't think the limping is telling him something by now?

Is it limping due to pain or because that leg has lost muscle definition? The leg hadn't been able to be used and flexed properly in months... I would think that would lead to limping.

Cumart21

Reaction score
I'm pulling for Spencer to come back and contribute this year. Most people on this board don't have the heart or toughness to work their way back from a significant injury like his, yet they sit back and post negative comments as if they have. Similar to the Lee threads, I'm amazed at how "fans" turn on these guys as soon as they aren't able to help the team on the field. Ironically, they suffered their injuries while laying it on the line for the very people who have turned on them. I'm tired of reading it.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Why not?

He's been playing around 265lbs.

It's not like he's going down to 225lbs.

Well here I was thinking he had played at a much heaver weight.
I'm not a doctor or a trainer but i half seen plenty of medical shows.
Coming off of a injury and then adjusting to even a slighter different weight could be precipitous as per torque and dynamics and accelleration.
https://encrypted-tbn3.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZnUrO1tHFobCuKhD1jGyqLCUMUvTPb2gXjIZLvXGnX-sAgTxaXPPqheU
I half to go now and see some X-rays the nurse half put on my desk.