Spider-Man: Homecoming

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want to know why?..... after three iterations of the big screen Spidey that we don't have this version yet?
The muscular, long and lanky Spidey?

MarvelTreasury_01.jpg

latest
Well, there are two ways of fulfilling that desire:
  1. Cast the right actor like a Maguire, Garfield or Holland, have him wear a muscular body suit, and make him look (somewhat at the very least) awkward
  2. Find a youthful looking dramatic actor who can crack jokes and has a boxing cruiseweight build
Studios have a much easier time casting option one than option two so my answer is not any time soon. Now Marvel better put Dwayne Johnson on speed dial if the studio ever brings Luke Cage to the big screen.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
With or without a suit, a guy in his 60s wouldn't have the agility or stamina to fight someone with Spidey's strength. He would have a heart attack just for trying.

are you familiar with the difference between comics and reality? I'm not saying your logic isn't sound for real life, but for comics this is what vulture looks like

th

He's an old man. Maybe he's not 65, maybe he's 60, I don't know, but anyone familiar with the character won't think Keaton is too old.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
With or without a suit, a guy in his 60s wouldn't have the agility or stamina to fight someone with Spidey's strength. He would have a heart attack just for trying.

are you familiar with the difference between comics and reality? I'm not saying your logic isn't sound for real life, but for comics this is what vulture looks like

th

He's an old man. Maybe he's not 65, maybe he's 60, I don't know, but anyone familiar with the character won't think Keaton is too old.

I really don't like these suits.

The green goblin hokey suit in SM1
Then gremlin. Same crap.

I really, REALLY didn't like the Rhino armor crap in TASM2

What this tells me is.... we will get yet another big screen iteration of those characters done with James Cameron-like CGI... Then they will look like th comic book version.

"We have th technology.... to build them..... BETTER.... STRONGER...ACCURATE-R!

Lol

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Well, there are two ways of fulfilling that desire:
  1. Cast the right actor like a Maguire, Garfield or Holland, have him wear a muscular body suit, and make him look (somewhat at the very least) awkward
  2. Find a youthful looking dramatic actor who can crack jokes and has a boxing cruiseweight build
Studios have a much easier time casting option one than option two so my answer is not any time soon. Now Marvel better put Dwayne Johnson on speed dial if the studio ever brings Luke Cage to the big screen.

I'm gonna disagree.

You can get a long and lanky dude and build him the right suit.

Every time I see Rock in action movie. I see wrestler "Rock"

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A1dh4Hh.jpg

qFnsOOb.jpg

Parker started out 15/16-ish in the books. Marvel hired Tom Holland and looks closest to that age, which is a departure from Sony's Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield. Maguire and Garfield had youthful appearances but Holland looks definitely like he's a year or two short of reaching 18.

On the other hand, Sony started out with Rosemary Harris, who has the GRAND-aunt appearance of the original May Parker but then made her look still very mature yet somewhat younger with casting Sally FIeld. I'm not sure who started de-aging Aunt May first, Sony or Marvel, but Marvel had started doing so in cartoons (not sure about books) during the past decade or so. Obviously, they like the idea for better marketing the upcoming film with Marisa Tomei.

I like both approaches. Spider-Man looks like a kid starting out like Stan Lee helped created him. Aunt May looks more like the sister of Parker's late 30's/early 40's parents instead of his grandmother. Then again, 'sexy' Aunt May may take a little getting used to. :p

Slightly off-topic - nice short interview with Stan Lee about Spider-Man, etc.:

Please clarify. When you say create and conceptualize weapons, are you talking about materializing objects composed out of metals, etc.? Or are you talking about an inability to conceive weapons made from the Guardians' Emerald force?
I'm saying he conjures giant hammers, chainsaws, guns....whatever, as opposed to conjuring new weapons that would suit whatever needs he has for a particular foe. For instance, why can't he conjure up some razor sharp "appendages" that could envelop and imprison his enemy, instead of having to counter with a new weapon each time his opponent eludes the current one?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I want to know why?..... after three iterations of the big screen Spidey that we don't have this version yet?
The muscular, long and lanky Spidey?

MarvelTreasury_01.jpg

latest
They probably feel it would be harder to buy into his being an unpopular nerd.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm saying he conjures giant hammers, chainsaws, guns....whatever, as opposed to conjuring new weapons that would suit whatever needs he has for a particular foe. For instance, why can't he conjure up some razor sharp "appendages" that could envelop and imprison his enemy, instead of having to counter with a new weapon each time his opponent eludes the current one?
I see your point but it's worth noting that there have been tons of art concerning Green Lantern and the Corps over the decades. There have been numerous emerald power configurations that artists have drawn and they haven't always regulated weapons to simplistic ones--especially after the company stopped allowing the Comics Authority to reign in artistic imagination since the early 80s. Plus, there is particular opponent or opponents' strengths to consider. Lastly, Power Rings produce anything the ring wearer thinks at the speed of thought but the wielder must actually think before something happens. One might not consider an arsenal of possible weapons in the heat of battle and instead pick what might seem as the logical offensive or defensive tool.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm gonna disagree.

You can get a long and lanky dude and build him the right suit.

Every time I see Rock in action movie. I see wrestler "Rock"
Bold: That was option 1. ;) :laugh:But I hope you're not trying to fit a tall actor into a Spider-Man role. The character has never been drawn as physically imposing. Marvel has never had the character morph somewhat like Wolverine for example.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Bold: That was option 1. ;) :laugh:But I hope you're not trying to fit a tall actor into a Spider-Man role. The character has never been drawn as physically imposing. Marvel has never had the character morph somewhat like Wolverine for example.

So what are the tall, physically imposing comic book version?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So what are the tall, physically imposing comic book version?
Not sure exactly what you mean. If you referring to Spider-Man, he isn't drawn comparatively tall and has less physical bulk versus some other characters. Other characters, like Thor for example, are drawn taller and bulkier.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you mean. If you referring to Spider-Man, he isn't drawn comparatively tall and has less physical bulk versus some other characters. Other characters, like Thor for example, are drawn taller and bulkier.

Do I have to post spidey pics again? Lol

I understand on the height.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/cel...remiere/ar-BBDqLDB?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

EXCLUSIVE: Tom Holland's Adorable Little Brother Crashes His Red Carpet Interview at 'Spider-Man' Premiere

Tom Holland made the Hollywood premiere ofSpider-Man: Homecoming a family affair on Wednesday, and his youngest brother had nothing but pride for the new webslinger when they stopped to talk with ET's Nischelle Turner.

"I'm losing my mind right now," the 21-year-old star said of the star-studded premiere. "This is so surreal. My whole like, last three years has been leading up to this moment and we're here today and I can't believe it. I genuinely can't believe it."

Tom was joined on his big night by his mom, Nikki, two of his brothers, Harry and Patrick, as well as his grandparents, Tony and Tess, his grandma Tina and his cousin, Sydney.

However, it was his youngest brother who boldly stepped up to talk about his bro's big night.

"[I'm] very proud, yeah, I try to be like him," Patrick, 13, shared. "I try I do a lot of auditions, but I never get them."

Click here for rest of the article