Spider-Man: Homecoming

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
What kind of a world do we live in where a man dressed as a bat.... transfers into a vulture.

I am not a fan of the same person playing multiple superheroes or villains.

Chris Evans - Human Torch and Captain America
Ben Affleck - Daredevil and Batman
Michael Keaton - Batman and Vulture

Etc...

Anyway... "homecoming"? ... meaning?

I'll go see it and I am a geek for this... I just don't know how good this can be.
This is 3rd spidey actor in 10 years.

I don't like the age timeline change of peter and aunt may.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Think homecoming is a reference to a Marvel character returning back home. Or something to that effect. Only thing I have with Keaton is the age. 65 year old villain. Marvel sure likes to bring on name actors that are old. At least make the villain under 60.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
What kind of a world do we live in where a man dressed as a bat.... transfers into a vulture.

I am not a fan of the same person playing multiple superheroes or villains.

Chris Evans - Human Torch and Captain America
Ben Affleck - Daredevil and Batman
Michael Keaton - Batman and Vulture

Etc...

Anyway... "homecoming"? ... meaning?

I'll go see it and I am a geek for this... I just don't know how good this can be.
This is 3rd spidey actor in 10 years.

Agree.

Ryan Reynolds.... Green Lantern and Dead Pool.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I liked Chris Evans and Ryan Reynolds in both. I hated all the Batman's between West and Bale. I thought Affleck did ok, especially for playing an older Batman. I thought Daredevil was ok, not great, but far better than Elektra. I will wait to pass judgement on Vulture.

BTW, at least Reynolds and Affleck starred in two different universes, DC and Marvel. So I find it ok.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I liked Chris Evans and Ryan Reynolds in both. I hated all the Batman's between West and Bale. I thought Affleck did ok, especially for playing an older Batman. I thought Daredevil was ok, not great, but far better than Elektra. I will wait to pass judgement on Vulture.

BTW, at least Reynolds and Affleck starred in two different universes, DC and Marvel. So I find it ok.

Daredevil extended edition is really good.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I see the OPs point on a couple of those but Affleck improved greatly with Batman over his terrible performance as Daredevil. Reynolds improved tremendously as Deadpool over his horrible job as Green Lantern. Evans is light years better as Captain America then he ever was as the crappy Human Torch character.

I don't know how Keaton will do as Vulture. For one I don't care for the villain all that much in the first place. So he's going to have to be really outstanding to make me like the villain anyway.

That's one thing about Spiderman is that he just doesn't have that many villains that I care anything at all about. I liked Kingpin and Venom and Doc Oc and that's basically it. The rest of his group of villains are pretty blah to me. Green Goblin was okay but nothing really great, IMO.

Oh and Daredevil from Netflix, as someone mentioned, SO good. Way better then the crappy movie version that Ben played.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Think homecoming is a reference to a Marvel character returning back home. Or something to that effect. Only thing I have with Keaton is the age. 65 year old villain. Marvel sure likes to bring on name actors that are old. At least make the villain under 60.

Vulture is actually old, so I don't see Keaton's age as a problem

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/homecoming

Spider-Man is Marvel's most famous character. Marvel equals Home. Sony owned the character's rights for years. Sony does not equal Home. It took far too much time but Marvel and Sony finally agreed to share cinematic rights to the character. Now, Marvel has made it's first film showcasing its #1 character. Spider-Man has returned Home.

Spider-Man: Homecoming
. The film title's meaning is simplistic and symbolic.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
In his 60s? Otay. Don't know how a guy who is in his 60s can move around and fight a guy like Spiderman with his agility.

They don't give ages to most characters, but the hair that vulture has left is all gray, so yea, 65 may be accurate. And he's able to fight Spider-Man because of the suit

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actors re-create the personalities of real or fictional people. Some actors do this successfully often. Other actors may have the ability but don't succeed. Plus, there may be other factors in play that interfere with how well actors can portray their characters.

Tim Burton's Batman was twisted, which was his intention (see examples such as The Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetlejuice, Big Fish, etc. for other references). Michael Keaton re-produced Batman and Bruce Wayne well within that circumstance. How well he does the same with Vulture is still a question mark.

Johnny Storm is a hothead and compulsive. Steve Rogers is cool and authoritative. These are simplified descriptions of very different characters that Chris Evans accomplishes well.

Good acting can transfer the true essence of fictional characters from page to screen. Subsequently, so-so or bad acting fails to do the same in part or totally. Ben Affleck failed in portraying Matt Murdock and Daredevil as well as possible and I don't really fault the moderate final production value of the movie. Affleck's Bruce Wayne was much better than his Murdock but he falls somewhat short resuming Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns Batman on the big screen.

Ryan Reynolds' acting contrasts are more damning for him than Affleck in my opinion. Green Lantern was built on a solid framework. Very good CGI. Very good conceptualized Guardians of the Universe and Green Lantern Corps. The movie's framework wasn't rock solid outside those two talking points, with good portion of fair-to-weak supporting acting playing a large part, but it was good enough. From that base, Reynolds gave a very subdued amalgamation of Van Wilder and guy he played in Blade:Trinity. Fortunately for Reynolds, Deadpool, despite a lackluster production budget, was thoroughly devoted towards making Deadpool's world fit his acting comedic strengths. Grab any comics issue with the Deadpool character in it and it matches the movie many more times than not. Reynolds slayed Deadpool because he is Deadpool.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A1dh4Hh.jpg

qFnsOOb.jpg

Parker started out 15/16-ish in the books. Marvel hired Tom Holland and looks closest to that age, which is a departure from Sony's Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield. Maguire and Garfield had youthful appearances but Holland looks definitely like he's a year or two short of reaching 18.

On the other hand, Sony started out with Rosemary Harris, who has the GRAND-aunt appearance of the original May Parker but then made her look still very mature yet somewhat younger with casting Sally FIeld. I'm not sure who started de-aging Aunt May first, Sony or Marvel, but Marvel had started doing so in cartoons (not sure about books) during the past decade or so. Obviously, they like the idea for better marketing the upcoming film with Marisa Tomei.

I like both approaches. Spider-Man looks like a kid starting out like Stan Lee helped created him. Aunt May looks more like the sister of Parker's late 30's/early 40's parents instead of his grandmother. Then again, 'sexy' Aunt May may take a little getting used to. :p

Slightly off-topic - nice short interview with Stan Lee about Spider-Man, etc.:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Actors re-create the personalities of real or fictional people. Some actors do this successfully often. Other actors may have the ability but don't succeed. Plus, there may be other factors in play that interfere with how well actors can portray their characters.

Tim Burton's Batman was twisted, which was his intention (see examples such as The Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetlejuice, Big Fish, etc. for other references). Michael Keaton re-produced Batman and Bruce Wayne well within that circumstance. How well he does the same with Vulture is still a question mark.

Johnny Storm is a hothead and compulsive. Steve Rogers is cool and authoritative. These are simplified descriptions of very different characters that Chris Evans accomplishes well.

Good acting can transfer the true essence of fictional characters from page to screen. Subsequently, so-so or bad acting fails to do the same in part or totally. Ben Affleck failed in portraying Matt Murdock and Daredevil as well as possible and I don't really fault the moderate final production value of the movie. Affleck's Bruce Wayne was much better than his Murdock but he falls somewhat short resuming Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns Batman on the big screen.

Ryan Reynolds' acting contrasts are more damning for him than Affleck in my opinion. Green Lantern was built on a solid framework. Very good CGI. Very good conceptualized Guardians of the Universe and Green Lantern Corps. The movie's framework wasn't rock solid outside those two talking points, with good portion of fair-to-weak supporting acting playing a large part, but it was good enough. From that base, Reynolds gave a very subdued amalgamation of Van Wilder and guy he played in Blade:Trinity. Fortunately for Reynolds, Deadpool, despite a lackluster production budget, was thoroughly devoted towards making Deadpool's world fit his acting comedic strengths. Grab any comics issue with the Deadpool character in it and it matches the movie many more times than not. Reynolds slayed Deadpool because he is Deadpool.
Personally, I don't like the concept of the whole Green Lantern character, or his powers. It seems like a silly superpower to me...or at least, the way he uses it, lacking the imagination to actually create and conceptualize weapons, but rather re-creating things that already exist in his memory, much as a child or imbecile would do.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personally, I don't like the concept of the whole Green Lantern character, or his powers. It seems like a silly superpower to me...or at least, the way he uses it, lacking the imagination to actually create and conceptualize weapons, but rather re-creating things that already exist in his memory, much as a child or imbecile would do.
Please clarify. When you say create and conceptualize weapons, are you talking about materializing objects composed out of metals, etc.? Or are you talking about an inability to conceive weapons made from the Guardians' Emerald force?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
They don't give ages to most characters, but the hair that vulture has left is all gray, so yea, 65 may be accurate. And he's able to fight Spider-Man because of the suit

With or without a suit, a guy in his 60s wouldn't have the agility or stamina to fight someone with Spidey's strength. He would have a heart attack just for trying.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
A1dh4Hh.jpg

qFnsOOb.jpg

Parker started out 15/16-ish in the books. Marvel hired Tom Holland and looks closest to that age, which is a departure from Sony's Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield. Maguire and Garfield had youthful appearances but Holland looks definitely like he's a year or two short of reaching 18.

On the other hand, Sony started out with Rosemary Harris, who has the GRAND-aunt appearance of the original May Parker but then made her look still very mature yet somewhat younger with casting Sally FIeld. I'm not sure who started de-aging Aunt May first, Sony or Marvel, but Marvel had started doing so in cartoons (not sure about books) during the past decade or so. Obviously, they like the idea for better marketing the upcoming film with Marisa Tomei.

I like both approaches. Spider-Man looks like a kid starting out like Stan Lee helped created him. Aunt May looks more like the sister of Parker's late 30's/early 40's parents instead of his grandmother. Then again, 'sexy' Aunt May may take a little getting used to. :p

Slightly off-topic - nice short interview with Stan Lee about Spider-Man, etc.:

I want to know why?..... after three iterations of the big screen Spidey that we don't have this version yet?
The muscular, long and lanky Spidey?

MarvelTreasury_01.jpg

latest