Article: Spider-Man: No Way Home Enters Top 10 All-Time

nobody

Reaction score
I'm curious to hear your reaction to what the director was doing in the 'Amazing Spider-Man' film series. I felt that there were undermined by Marc Webb's obsession with the Peter's parents storyline (that I and everyone I've asked couldn't care less about). My own belief is that Sony picked the wrong guy to direct and the choices he made resulted in Garfield's run as Spider-Man being cut short.

I agree completely. The writing and directing for the Garfield movies were really bad as was the CGI for the villains. However, Garfield himself did well enough to help them a lot. They also spent way too much effort using the second movie as an extended trailer for a Sinister Six (Or Sinister Syndicate, I don't recall) movie.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree completely. The writing and directing for the Garfield movies were really bad as was the CGI for the villains. However, Garfield himself did well enough to help them a lot. They also spent way too much effort using the second movie as an extended trailer for a Sinister Six (Or Sinister Syndicate, I don't recall) movie.

:hammer:

We’re in lock-step about all of this.

quickccc

Reaction score
- The Spidey studios wanted Spidey franchise to rebound and perform much more, ..much better than what was coming up in the Amazing Spiderman series. (ala Andrew Garfield)

- Spidey is easily seen as their lead and most popular superhero (probably surpassed by Robert Downey Jr.s' Iron Man) and they were not coming up with the
100 million plus opening weekend box office numbers as the big Marvel films usually does. In fact Amazing Spiderman was quite underwhelming and disappointing
so they felt they had to change and improve the direction of Spidey films. They seem to have done that with Tom Holland/Jon Watt Spidey crew.

- Plus the Marvel Cinema Universe (aka MCU) are easily the most popular, most trending marquee product that theater viewers are most eager to see. Especially during a pandemic era where
Earthlings around the world need a reason to get out and return to the enjoyable normalcy they were used to having.

- Even more so ?.... If the Movie critics reviews are most favorable, then that seems to allow viewers " OK permission " to go see films.
Although imo, ..Marvel has just an Enormously huge fan base, that they are gonna be driven to see Marvel Superhero movies - no matter how bad the Marvel films are (ala Venom)

Even the Eternals who were not really at the very top and among the popular icon comic with Marvel, (imo) ended up being a box office smash hit.

Look back at all of the 2021 biggest blockbuster movies that Marvel films delivered this year.

- Black Widow
- Shang Chi Legend of the 10 Rings
- The Eternals
- Spiderman No Way Home

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score

Did they really think Doc Conners and the Lizard should've been a splash as a main villain (Amazing Spiderman) ?
Did they really think there was gonna bring such a viewership charisma in that ?

quickccc

Reaction score
J.K.Simmons was destined to be JJJ. Even back in the 70's cartoons, it was like the character was written and drawn with him in mind...and he doesn't disappoint.

+ 1
Gonna be hard pressed to find a different actor rather than J.K.Simmons , that can top his J. Jonah Jameson character. :D

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I tolerated Maguire but didn't like his performances nor most of the casting for those films except for Doc Oc, Green Goblin, And JJJ. JJJ was hands down the best casting.

tobey-maguire-hair-flip.gif

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Does anyone think avatar 2 will make the top 10 or reach 1?

It will look amazing

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It will look amazing

I do not. I think the original was lightning in a bottle when it was released. I also don’t feel it ranks in quality upon rewatching as the other films at the top do.

I will be surprised if the sequels come close to the box office of the original.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I do not. I think the original was lightning in a bottle when it was released. I also don’t feel it ranks in quality upon rewatching as the other films at the top do.

I will be surprised if the sequels come close to the box office of the original.

I have not seen the new spiderman, so i can not compare it to that, but i don't think the others movies in the top 10 were that great. Which ones do you put above it that are in the top 10?

Avatar was the best scifi/fantasy movie I have seen. I think it is better than star wars and any I can think of. Humans to another world, they become symbiotic with alien life(plant,animal,humanoid) on that planet, mind to grown body transfer, air and land warfare with human technology, and it was visually better than all the rest. I cant wait for the water battles in avatar 2

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have not seen the new spiderman, so i can not compare it to that, but i don't think the others movies in the top 10 were that great. Which ones do you put above it that are in the top 10?

Avatar was the best scifi/fantasy movie I have seen. I think it is better than star wars and any I can think of. Humans to another world, they become symbiotic with alien life(plant,animal,humanoid) on that planet, mind to grown body transfer, air and land warfare with human technology, and it was visually better than all the rest. I cant wait for the water battles in avatar 2

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross/?area=XWW

Most everything on this top 20 list except Titanic, Lion King, Furious, and Frozen.

quickccc

Reaction score
Holland was by far the best. I didn't like Maguire. He didn't feel like Peter Parker or Spider-Man at all. He benefitted from better writing that Garfield but Garfield, even being a "cooler" Peter, did better having grown up a huge Spider-Man fan but having way worse writing and directing.

I tolerated Maguire but didn't like his performances nor most of the casting for those films except for Doc Oc, Green Goblin, And JJJ. JJJ was hands down the best casting.

Fortunately, I believe a Sony exec and Holland himself have backpedaled from him being done with the role saying he's going to be in the next trilogy.

I, other hand, always felt Tobey Maguire was Perfect for Peter Parker.

More so, I tend to think it was because of Maguire's performance and Parker nerdy looks, that sprung director Jon Watt to seek out and mimic a Maguire-like actor to portray Peter Parker
And thus Tom Holland definitely seemed to fit the bill.

- Just as director Sam Raimi has his Spidey faults,…… director Jon Watt has his own Spider flaws too.

- Sorry but I just can’t get with Marisa Tomei as Aunt May …I just cannot buy into it- and continue to think it was a poor casting.
Every single time I’ve seen her, I think only Tomei trying/failing to be Aunt May.

Also other is all of the love interests of Tom Holland, (ala Zendaya as Michelle -MJ and Lizportrayed by Laura Harrier) .. I found them boring uninspiring and not even close to what Kirst Dunst delivered
The only added character i can flat say has really..-really added a special element to the Holland-Spidey series per Jacob Bataman as Ned Leeds - Hilarious comedical character.. !

:popcorn:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

It will look amazing
I think there are people who don't even know there's a second one in the works who are gonna run to the theater to see it. I don't know if it'll be #1, but if it's done well, I think top 3 is likely.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I, other hand, always felt Tobey Maguire was Perfect for Peter Parker.

More so, I tend to think it was because of Maguire's performance and Parker nerdy looks, that sprung director Jon Watt to seek out and mimic a Maguire-like actor to portray Peter Parker
And thus Tom Holland definitely seemed to fit the bill.

- Just as director Sam Raimi has his Spidey faults,…… director Jon Watt has his own Spider flaws too.

- Sorry but I just can’t get with Marisa Tomei as Aunt May …I just cannot buy into it- and continue to think it was a poor casting.
Every single time I’ve seen her, I think only Tomei trying/failing to be Aunt May.

Also other is all of the love interests of Tom Holland, (ala Zendaya as Michelle -MJ and Lizportrayed by Laura Harrier) .. I found them boring uninspiring and not even close to what Kirst Dunst delivered
The only added character i can flat say has really..-really added a special element to the Holland-Spidey series per Jacob Bataman as Ned Leeds - Hilarious comedical character.. !

:popcorn:
First: Tom Holland is nearly the antithesis of Tobey Maguire, in my opinion. I really don't see how you equate them.

Second: The Aunt Mays are from alternate universes, as are the M.J.s, so there's no reason to compare them...and I also prefer the newer incarnations of both characters, even though the first series of movies did emulate the comics more closely.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross/?area=XWW

Most everything on this top 20 list except Titanic, Lion King, Furious, and Frozen.

We differ a lot. There are a lot of good movies in the top 200, but these were the only ones I think were great movies. Avatar was the only movie in the top 10 that I think highly of.

Lion King(animated)--37
Jurassic Park--42
Guardians of the Galaxy--104
Forest Gump--135
Pirates of the Caribbean curse of the black pearl--145

I almost added the cartoon aladin and kung ** panda. The marvel movies are alright, but outside of the special effects they are not very good. I don't think they will ever top how good guardians of the galaxy was.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I think there are people who don't even know there's a second one in the works who are gonna run to the theater to see it. I don't know if it'll be #1, but if it's done well, I think top 3 is likely.

I don't think Cameron will disappoint. With the amount of time that was spent, It should be really good. I read about the movie theaters that have seats that vibrate, move around, spray mist/water, and have 3d. I think that will be the first movie I try it out with.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We differ a lot. There are a lot of good movies in the top 200, but these were the only ones I think were great movies. Avatar was the only movie in the top 10 that I think highly of.

Lion King(animated)--37
Jurassic Park--42
Forest Gump--135

I almost added the cartoon aladin and kung ** panda. The marvel movies are alright, but outside of the special effects they are not very good. I don't think they will ever top how good guardians of the galaxy was.

Yes. We differ a lot.

nobody

Reaction score

Lion King(animated)--37
Jurassic Park--42
Forest Gump--135

Outside of special Effects, Avatar was a rehashed space version of Dances with Wolves....with worse writing. The only good things about it were the villain's performance and the special effects.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Outside of special Effects, Avatar was a rehashed space version of Dances with Wolves....with worse writing. The only good things about it were the villain's performance and the special effects.

haha, yea that is a great comparison, and clever

I think it is going to be some what of a reality in the next 20years, and it is interesting that the planet is called pandora, because we are currently opening pandoras box.

Implantible chips will allow you to connect to the world around you in a new way, augmented reality glasses soon, metaverse

DNA research is increasing-organ/body growing, chimeras

Mech suits

Currently working on downloading consciousness to machines and AI, holograms