*SPOILERS*The Walking Dead Season 4– First half of season

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also, did you view the girls mom shooting him as a mercy put-down, or an act of spite after leading the group on a suicide mission and/or killing the girl even though she was about to turn into a zombie?
No, I don't view it as a mercy put-down. I think she was beside herself with anger. First he leaves her and her daughter with minimal protection, to fulfill this mission of his. Then the daughter gets bit and dies. Then she see's the governor cut off a guy's head and then pronounce "Kill them all" and leads this charge through the fences that is going to do nothing to ensure the security of the group... like he stated previously was his mission, i.e. group security.

At that juncture she had quite enough of the governor.

I would like to see her and her sister in future episodes.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was that the action of a "super-hero" though - or a man full of rage over his home being violated? After all he did shoot the guy who surrendered after he fleed the tank.

I wouldn't think it would be too far of a stretch for him to move the zombie - but its definitely a stretch that he didn't get shot or bitten in that sequence.

Will be interesting to see how his character changes as well. You wonder if he's going to go to a similar "dark place" as Rick or the Governor.

Interesting thought about Daryl. It could happen with all that's happened... loss of the prison, loss of Carol. But he seemed to avoid that after having the gut-wrenching experience of having to put Merle down after he turned. I think if there's one constant in the show it's Daryl. From about 5 minutes after his character was introduced in season 1, and he got through his "You left my brother on a roof?" snit, Daryl has been Daryl.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Yeah, I was surprised about the Governor/Rick fight myself. Rick held his own against Shane too. I guess it really wasn't his day! LOL!

Yeah. He fought Shane real tough and all. It just seemed odd to me with the character.

I had a tougher time when the Governor manhandled Merle. Merle was a badass with a knife hand and the Governor just destroyed him!

Hello! Knife-hand!

Yeah I would have been, if it werent for the fact that the Gov. guys hit him in the face with a gun and were all kicking the crap out of him before the Gov took over. He beat on Merle because Merle had already received a pretty quick and painful beat down.

Rick did have a gunshot wound to the leg. I was far more surprised by how sell he was moving around than by him getting his *** kicked.

Oh...excellent point. I didn't think about that but then the Gov. also had taken a shot from Rick to the arm. So he shouldn't have been able to use his arm as good as he was either.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I read an interview/article from Kirkman yesterday and he said that they (the writers) didn't want to make Rick into a "Super-hero" so they allowed him to get man-handled by the Gov.

The problem I have with that rational, and this gets back to the inconsistent writing, is that's exactly what they did with Daryl– They "Super-heroed" him...

He comes walking out of his hiding spot, with a zombie-on-a-stick holding this (no doubt) 100lb+ zombie with one arm. While at the same time the zombie is absorbing all the shots from the automatic rifles and not one reaches Daryl.

Poor Dale couldn't lift a decaying body off of himself out in the field, yet Daryl moves around like a running back holding a zombie up with one arm– amazing!

And then he runs over and blows up the tank by dropping the grenade down the barrel.

Yeah I can understand that but there is a difference between making him a super hero and just what I feel is foolish writing. Given the circumstances, both had been shot, and Rick just watched this guy cut the head off of his good friend and the one guy that really helps keep Rick sane, and he's leading a charge on the prison that is going to destroy the place where his family is surviving I felt that Rick deserved a bit better showing in that fight.

Just seemed like they wanted to make the Gov. look way to strong on what was clearly going to be his way out of the show. Again I don't mind the Gov. winning the fight overall. I am fine with that but you've got to have it be more even handed, IMO.

I mean to me this is the battle between the main good guy and the guy who has been, far and away, the main bad guy for your show at this point. That fight should have been a lot more, IMO, all things considered.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I can understand that but there is a difference between making him a super hero and just what I feel is foolish writing. Given the circumstances, both had been shot, and Rick just watched this guy cut the head off of his good friend and the one guy that really helps keep Rick sane, and he's leading a charge on the prison that is going to destroy the place where his family is surviving I felt that Rick deserved a bit better showing in that fight.

Just seemed like they wanted to make the Gov. look way to strong on what was clearly going to be his way out of the show. Again I don't mind the Gov. winning the fight overall. I am fine with that but you've got to have it be more even handed, IMO.

I mean to me this is the battle between the main good guy and the guy who has been, far and away, the main bad guy for your show at this point. That fight should have been a lot more, IMO, all things considered.

I agree with you... I didn't like how they choreographed the fight.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Are they writing Glenn out of the show? He hasn't been relevant for a while now.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Are they writing Glenn out of the show? He hasn't been relevant for a while now.

I'm curious about that as well. I will say that the little subplot with him and his girl is getting old.

If they were writing him out, the episode when the "sick wing" was infiltrated would've been perfect.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
The episode was great.

I knew people were going to die and I figured it would be Hershal but that still sucked. I do like that they kept the beheading from the comic, even if it was a different character he beheaded.

My only complaint was I don't like how they had the Gov. just basically manhandle Rick. I don't care if the Gov. wins the fight, that's fine cause the good guy shouldn't always win, but the way he just destroyed him made so little sense to me. You're telling me that Rick, the guy who beat the dog out of Tyrese, is just going to get stomped by the Gov like that? I just don't buy that. Thought the fight could have been a little better but that was my only real complaint.

Rick did have a bullet hole in his leg. That'll pretty much tip the odds in the Gov's favor.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Carol!

http://www.blastr.com/2013-12-4/walking-dead-exec-promises-sanctuary-and-fave-characters-return-2014

It’s going to be a long few months while we wait for the second half of The Walking Dead’s fourth season to return, but series creator Robert Kirkman has at least dropped some hints on what we can expect next year.

In a chat with TV Guide, Kirkman dropped three major tidbits about what fans will see once the series returns on February 9. Though it sounds like the back half of season four will continue to diverge from the comics (to a degree), it should at least give fans a few things they’ve been wanting.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Yeah. He fought Shane real tough and all. It just seemed odd to me with the character.

Yeah I would have been, if it werent for the fact that the Gov. guys hit him in the face with a gun and were all kicking the crap out of him before the Gov took over. He beat on Merle because Merle had already received a pretty quick and painful beat down.

Oh...excellent point. I didn't think about that but then the Gov. also had taken a shot from Rick to the arm. So he shouldn't have been able to use his arm as good as he was either.

Good point. And a shot in the arm from a .44 magnum... sorry but that arm, what was left of it, would have been useless. That shot should have taken the arm clean off.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
so far i've seen people debate the flow and how it should have gone.

it never should have gone this way.

this season so far is throwing pieces on the wall and hoping it carries the weight it used to.

it doesn't.

1 man running a tank? as far as i know it takes at least 3, usually 4.

a few dozen zombies in a puddle of mud you can't drive around? lets drive back to the camp and not wonder who put those zombies in there.

in just one short week i can kill your leader, convert his brother, and sink the lead at the front of a dock in zombie fashion but hey, no one else will come see it. hell, the gov said they'd say he died on a raid.

they never made.

there are (2) things that i value when looking at a story.

1) suspension of disbelief
2) unresolved anticipation

this season is a train wreck and i hate it with every fibre i have. i'm not about to get lost in a convo about how rick got beat up. ****, an entire army lost the fact he was hiding behind the bus to build up that stupid scene. they went right by him. so many things just don't come together to make things add up as a story.

i'm not sure what happened between last season and this one but the overall direction of the story sucks.

i never saw hershel being killed. that actually pissed me the hell off cause it was a drama move, not something built to. but hey, done. but killing hershel is the same as daryl or rick to me. you just don't do it.

load up a bunch of useless bodies in a field with strange signs on them and a heads under a bead and call it a show. but don't kill off the people i come back to watch week after week.

this season so far has asked too much from me in regard to suspension of disbelief.

and the unresolved anticipation is epic.

i almost don't give a **** about the 2nd half.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
You never ever leave an enemy alive. No matter how badely he's hurt. Did the woman shoot him at the end. I saw her walk up, stand over him and the gun went off. Her hand was shaking pretty badly. Meshone should have cut his head off and stuck it on a fence post.

Smith22

Reaction score
You never ever leave an enemy alive. No matter how badely he's hurt. Did the woman shoot him at the end. I saw her walk up, stand over him and the gun went off. Her hand was shaking pretty badly. Meshone should have cut his head off and stuck it on a fence post.

I may be wrong, but I think Meshone wanted him to suffer and become a zombie.

jnday

Reaction score

this season so far is throwing pieces on the wall and hoping it carries the weight it used to.

it doesn't.

a few dozen zombies in a puddle of mud you can't drive around? lets drive back to the camp and not wonder who put those zombies in there.

in just one short week i can kill your leader, convert his brother, and sink the lead at the front of a dock in zombie fashion but hey, no one else will come see it. hell, the gov said they'd say he died on a raid.

they never made.

this season is a train wreck and i hate it with every fibre i have. i'm not about to get lost in a convo about how rick got beat up. ****, an entire army lost the fact he was hiding behind the bus to build up that stupid scene. they went right by him. so many things just don't come together to make things add up as a story.

i'm not sure what happened between last season and this one but the overall direction of the story sucks.

i never saw hershel being killed. that actually pissed me the hell off cause it was a drama move, not something built to. but hey, done. but killing hershel is the same as daryl or rick to me. you just don't do it.

load up a bunch of useless bodies in a field with strange signs on them and a heads under a bead and call it a show. but don't kill off the people i come back to watch week after week.

this season so far has asked too much from me in regard to suspension of disbelief.

I don't look to TV for realism, especially a show about zombies. I think it has been a very good. Sounds like you need to find another program during that time slot for your viewing pleasure lol.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I don't look to TV for realism, especially a show about zombies. I think it has been a very good. Sounds like you need to find another program during that time slot for your viewing pleasure lol.

I was just going to post something similar myself, but I guess at the end of the day people have varying levels of interest and expectations. I personally don't look for writing brilliance in my zombie shows, but I suspect there are those that take this more seriously than I do. What I have seen this season has been entertaining and worth the watch. I also like that they paid homage to how the books went down by bringing in the tank, having the Governor take off someone's head (different character I know) and having Lilly be the one that ultimately kills the Governor. All in all I am pretty excited about the second half.

Kevinicus

Reaction score

it doesn't.

they never made.

I can understand your points about everything except about Herschel. A big problem with a lot of TV and movies is playing it safe and being unwilling to kill off the people everyone thinks is untouchable. And building up to it is predictable formulaic storytelling that is in almost everything. A big part of the appeal of Game of Thrones is the killing off of characters when it's not expected or who were considered safe. However, in this case, I do think there was some build up (not necessarily in this episode), and it wasn't really that surprising.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Good point. And a shot in the arm from a .44 magnum... sorry but that arm, what was left of it, would have been useless. That shot should have taken the arm clean off.

They never gave good angles of Rick's bullet wound vs the Governors, but I assumed from the get-go he was only grazed. He never really looked like he lost much use of his arm that I detected while Rick limped off when he took cover.

Could be that I am wrong, but that is what I noticed when going through the motions of the show.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score

it doesn't.

Good point but really not all the important to me. I did briefly wonder how only 1 person was running the tank but it just wasn't something that bugged me enough to care for too long.

Why would anyone need to have put them there? It's mud...like the creek and stuff at Hershal's farm they're walking around and walk right into it. No one has to have put th em there at all.

I do agree with you on not getting why he couldn't just drive around them and why they went back. That didn't really make a whole lot of sense to me. I just figured that the idea was something about seeing those zombies there triggered something in him that made him want to take over the group instead.

they never made.

I thought that was very sloppy, particulary the fact that it was the guys brother and he so quickly was willing to just forget that and follow the Gov.

Good point on this as well. I kept wondering why no one looked for him as they came up on the bus but then I figured they thought he limped off to a different spot while they were getting ready to come into the prison and attack them. The Gov. for example, did turn his attention away because of Hershal crawling off and the little girl being carried up to him dead. So he could have simply figured Rick got to a different spot by then. Or forgotten about him entirely at that point.

Actually this point should have been pretty obvious in the lead up to this episode the previous two weeks. At least if you're a fan of the comic anyway. In the comic on the third attack of the prison the Gov. cuts the head of Tyrese off to try and force Rick to let him in. In the comic Tyrese is Rick's right hand man basically. That would be Hershal in the show. He's the guy Rick goes to now. So obviously if they follow the comic at all, as they've done in the past you could see the death of Hershal coming.

I'm sorry you're not enjoying this season. I've enjoyed it quite a bit myself.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Gotta agree with iceberg. The show looks like it's being directed by a teenager.