Video: Sports Doctor discusses Tony Pollard injury

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
People in here talking about his injury like he’s never going to recover again. There’s nothing long term about his injury
just a bunch of zeke cry babies. Like Dak, pollard punted zeke into retirement and they simply weren’t football smart enough to see any of it.

Haimerej

Reaction score
The primary issue was damage to the syndesmotic ligament which is within the region beow defined as Interosseous membrane.
- The secondary issue was hairline fracture of the small bone (fibula).
- No surgery was required specific to the hairline fracture.

The old school repair included putting screws throught he small bone (fibula) to hold it together with large bone (tibia) while the ligament healed.
- Then a 2nd surgery was required to remove the screws.
- The 2 bones must have some amount of indepentent movement; therefore, they can't be permanantly screwed together.

The newer tightrope surgery uses a rope like material to hold the 2 bones together while the ligament heals.
- The primary advantage is that a 2nd surgery is not required. The "rope" can remain forever.

The average recovery time is 2 months.
- Tua Tagovailoa had the tightrope surgurical procedure and returned to play in 28 days.

The minimum recovery time for ACL surgery is 9 months.
- i.e. Pollard's injury has a far shorter recovery time than an ACL tear like Gallup had.

image.png
I had a spiral fracture. Little bit above the line pointing to the interosseous membrane in that pic. Was chasing down a guy in the open field when my own teammate dove, missed him and hit me as my foot planted. Good times.

Was walking on it within a week and came back to play in the playoffs 5 weeks later. I doubt Tony has any issues come training camp.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
A few things:
1. No 2 injuries are exactly the same. Don't care what anyone thinks they just aren't.
2. Pollard absolutely has sufficient time to heal from what we are being told occurred.
3. Pollard will probably not have anywhere near a normal off-season which can range from good for him to get more rest to he won't be in true football shape early.
4. Pollard's next hit likely won't come until week1. As there's no reason to risk him in pre-season.
5. With tag in place this is complicated for Pollard and Dallas. TP should be very wary about taking on too many touches and reducing future value while Dallas is paying him like a guy that'll get 2/3 of the reps....
6. If Mike is serious about running the ball he better go get a good RB2.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If the Cowboys have no concerns about his health, I’d like to see a long term contract worked out. 4 years @ $7-$8 million per year. Pollard should be happy with that after seeing some of the RB contracts given out. Then draft a short yardage larger back in rounds 4 or 5. We would have our RB tandem relatively cheap for the next 4 years. If Pollard has the same explosiveness as before, 20 touches per game adds a lot to this offense.
You cannot be serious? Have you learned nothing?

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Dak had the lower ankle bone injury. Jerry Dumbo GM Jones giving Pollard the franchise tag maybe telling that it was a high fracture of the fibula and not much ankle damage. Pollard was not trying to knock his ankle back in place like Dak and his ankle was not dangling in the wrong direction like Dak.

I still would not have franchise tagged Pollard and I would definitely draft premium grade RB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should be 100% or very close to by June. Worst case scenario of a setback there is still a lot of time for him to rehab.

The Cowboys don't seem concerned about the injury. Most medical professionals don't seem worried about he injury. Most data on athletes with similar injuries show this shouldn't be a major concern.

For half the fan base though it means we need to freak out.
Yeah we don’t need another Mike Sherrard situation and be broken again. Though I believe his was much more seriously broken. Both times.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Yeah we don’t need another Mike Sherrard situation and be broken again. Though I believe his was much more seriously broken. Both times.
Yeah completely different level of injury, but I'll give you props for going that far back and throwing out the Mike Sherrard reference.

JBS

Reaction score
It’s not a long-term injury, but there’s no guarantees he’ll be the same player when he returns. That’s the concern most fans have.
If it’s not a long term injury then he will be the same. That’s exactly what a long term injury is.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If it’s not a long term injury then he will be the same. That’s exactly what a long term injury is.
You’re wrong because a long term injury prevents a player from getting on the field. However, when they’re healthy enough to return, it doesn’t guarantee they’ll be as effective as they were prior to the injury. There’s many examples of players who’ve suffered serious injuries and never returned to form. Dez was never the same player after having foot surgery in 2016. There’s no assurances Pollard will have the same speed and burst he had prior to his injury. Jalen Smith was never the same player after his injury in college.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
People in here talking about his injury like he’s never going to recover again. There’s nothing long term about his injury
Yep, medical personnel has been saying that since shortly after it happened. That's why RB in round 1 not necessary.

Would be a luxury pick.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
That explanation was unnecessarily long and drawn out, but it seems TP will be ready for TC and the upcoming season.
Any chance Doctor Morse might be hoping for some sort of ongoing deal as an injury consultant for the Cowboys? :muttley:
Not sure why making content about Pollard is so funny. :muttley:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I broke the same bone my senior year in high school. Missed 4 games.
Pollard also suffered a high ankle sprain to go along with a broken fibula and underwent surgery. Him returning from these injuries isn’t a question it’s whether he’ll be the same effective player he was prior to the injuries.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Not sure why making content about Pollard is so funny. :muttley:
It's because I was just kidding about Doc Morse vying for a job as our injury consultant.

Not intended as a serious proposition. No disrespect to Tony Pollard intended here.

Last edited:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Injuries happen at different places in our body, broken arm, broke fingers, shoulder...and most are fine after rehab, but once that leg bone breaks, that's like a flat tire that needs fixed, once them wheels go bad, I'm not sure but he may not have the same burst as he did. Plus the mental part of an sever injury. I don't think #4 was ever the same after his.