SportsDrop: Cowboys still have NFL's best stadium

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Texas Stadium was becoming a bit of a dump though, but in general I agree. Jerry World is a great entertainment venue, but it's not really a great football environment. It almost seems too sterile and too pristine. Too civilized for a gladiatorial competition. It almost feels that you should respond to play with the polite golf or tennis clap instead of being a rowdy, raucous atmosphere.

I feel like i'm at the circus and I have to try my hardest to watch the game on the field and ignore the 60 yards of screen in front of me.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel like i'm at the circus and I have to try my hardest to watch the game on the field and ignore the 60 yards of screen in front of me.

My wife has a hard time with the screen too. I seem to be better about only using it for replays, or if my seats are toward one end of the field and the ball is at the other. I've never sat in the upper deck, but I suspect it's particularly hard to keep from watching the screen there.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It has been a few years since I attended a game live, but I started looking online recently and was shocked at how much the ticket prices have increased. I'm not one who typically complains because I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford it, but at this point I'm not sure that I'm getting the best bang for my buck to buy tickets in a decent location, and pay travel and lodging expenses.
I can just as easily enjoy a Cowboys game on TV but my grandfather left me the tickets and going does make me feel nostalgic about the experience. If I had to pay for the tickets I can see I would feel as you do. I do think the stadium itself adds to my enjoyment of going but ultimately winning is what matters.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can just as easily enjoy a Cowboys game on TV but my grandfather left me the tickets and going does make me feel nostalgic about the experience. If I had to pay for the tickets I can see I would feel as you do. I do think the stadium itself adds to my enjoyment of going but ultimately winning is what matters.

I just like the feel of a live game occasionally, but you are right about being able to enjoy it on TV just as easily. I make a lot more MLB games live than NFL games. I will see anywhere from 2-12 MLB games each year, but only an NFL game about once every 3-4 years.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I just like the feel of a live game occasionally, but you are right about being able to enjoy it on TV just as easily. I make a lot more MLB games live than NFL games. I will see anywhere from 2-12 MLB games each year, but only an NFL game about once every 3-4 years
Despite a MLB game being cheaper to experience, I just don't enjoy it anymore. MLB was better with steroids, IMO. I haven't been to a Ranger game since the 1994 strike.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Despite a MLB game being cheaper to experience, I just don't enjoy it anymore. MLB was better with steroids, IMO. I haven't been to a Ranger game since the 1994 strike.

I'm a baseball guys, so I love the Rangers. But not everyone cares for baseball.

As for the Cowboys, when I looked recently I found that seats I had paid something like $200-250 for a few years back are more like $450 now, and I think that for me and my wife to take a weekend trip that includes the tickets and hotel (plus a sizable tax since because those taxes help pay for the stadium and for the Rangers new stadium), plus meals (we wont end up eating fast food) plus driving …. we might be pushing $2,000 for the weekend. It's not that I can't afford that, but it seems excessive, and I've decide I'm not going to do it.

Plankton

Reaction score
Who cares.

I’ve been priced out of regularly attending because of player greed.

And meow that same greed is causing a dispute between butt local fox station and directv that’s been going on for who knows how long.

Player greed?

Last I checked, the players didn't set ticket prices. It's owner greed, plain and simple.

The degree that owners get a pass for their business practices toward their customer base compared to the players is mindboggling to me.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, I dunno. I go to a lot of college games. There's nothing like being in the stadium for a big game in prime time.

In regards to attending games in person, college games are much better than NFL games, IMO.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Player greed?

Last I checked, the players didn't set ticket prices. It's owner greed, plain and simple.

The degree that owners get a pass for their business practices toward their customer base compared to the players is mindboggling to me.

Setting ticket prices is part of running a business. Employees seeking the best competition they can get is also business. Both sides are greedy, but greed is motivation. That's capitalism in a nutshell

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm a baseball guys, so I love the Rangers. But not everyone cares for baseball.

As for the Cowboys, when I looked recently I found that seats I had paid something like $200-250 for a few years back are more like $450 now, and I think that for me and my wife to take a weekend trip that includes the tickets and hotel (plus a sizable tax since because those taxes help pay for the stadium and for the Rangers new stadium), plus meals (we wont end up eating fast food) plus driving …. we might be pushing $2,000 for the weekend. It's not that I can't afford that, but it seems excessive, and I've decide I'm not going to do it.
I hear you. I guess I just look at it differently. My wife and I enjoy getting out, experiencing the fans and the new great food places at the stadium. If she has a good time it usually pays off to go to the expense... that is priceless. :thumbup:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear you. I guess I just look at it differently. My wife and I enjoy getting out, experiencing the fans and the new great food places at the stadium. If she has a good time it usually pays off to go to the expense... that is priceless. :thumbup:

I can fix you up with a cute girl named Trixie that will cost about 10% of that!

Plankton

Reaction score
Setting ticket prices is part of running a business. Employees seeking the best competition they can get is also business. Both sides are greedy, but greed is motivation. That's capitalism in a nutshell

Believe me, I am not saying that the players are not without their own level of greed. But, to blame ticket pricing on them is missing the target by a mile. They don't set the pricing structure - the owners do.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Who cares.

I’ve been priced out of regularly attending because of player greed.

And meow that same greed is causing a dispute between butt local fox station and directv that’s been going on for who knows how long.

Player greed? I haven't seen any players negotiating billion dollar contracts with TV networks. I don't think they set the ticket prices, either.

The Cowboys net profit in 2017 ($365 million) was twice the amount of the salary cap, after paying all of the salaries. It was even more than the price of Jerry's new yacht.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Player greed?

The degree that owners get a pass for their business practices toward their customer base compared to the players is mindbottling to me.

I was just taking what I’ve read here and made the point a little more absurd.

The nfl is our gladiator sport.

Edit. Fixed a word for you

Vanilla2

Reaction score

All praises to our ruling class

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Player greed? I haven't seen any players negotiating billion dollar contracts with TV networks. I don't think they set the ticket prices, either.

The Cowboys net profit in 2017 ($365 million) was twice the amount of the salary cap, after paying all of the salaries. It was even more than the price of Jerry's new yacht.
See my posts above