Spotrac's projected QB extensions based on calculated market value; What is Dak's?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think any of those guys are worth those projected amounts.

Jordan Love might be worth it next season if he has a great 2024 season, but not after one season of starting.

I won't be surprised if we start seeing more and more teams start moving on from most quarterbacks after their rookie contracts.

Many NFL quarterbacks (all positions really) are not worth tying up that much cap space when they are an injury away from being done for the season.

At some point, when a player requires you invest more than 15% of the salary cap in them, it makes more sense to throw numbers at the position rather than gamble that 1) the player will perform as or better than expected and 2) they will avoid injuries and be able to play at their expected level all season.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Jordan Love might be worth it next season if he has a great 2024 season, but not after one season of starting.

I won't be surprised if we start seeing more and more teams start moving on from most quarterbacks after their rookie contracts.

Many NFL quarterbacks (all positions really) are not worth tying up that much cap space when they are an injury away from being done for the season.

At some point, when a player requires you invest more than 15% of the salary cap in them, it makes more sense to throw numbers at the position rather than gamble that 1) the player will perform as or better than expected and 2) they will avoid injuries and be able to play at their expected level all season.
its the QB market. limited supply. thus price goes up. so teams tend to over draft and pay more than any other position.

fans value of a QB is irrelevant. the question is what's the alternative? and with the alternative what's the outcome.

I am a 1000% sure somebody is going to say Rush went 5-1. guaranteed.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
What are the chances that any of these guys don't sign with their original teams?

Because doesn't sound like anyone outside Dallas thinks Dak is going anywhere but to lots of non Dakers here this is his last year, and the same went for each of the last 4 years.

bandfan

Reaction score
I hear and agree with @Reality and @CowboysFaninHouston . I truly believe the NFL needs to put a cap on the amount paid for franchise QBs. That might help every team keep more talent and make the game more competitive.
Until the next CBA negotiations the only thing that will get you is a court date with the NFLPA.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
For me, none of the players re worth some of the money being given in today’s NFL.
Dak is not worth 50 million.
Lamb is not worth 30 million.
Parsons is not worth 30 million for 2-3 plays per game.

But that’s the market. That’s part of an ever increasing salary cap. I’m a Dallas Cowboys fan, and for me, I much prefer Dak at QB for 50 million over all alternatives available until they draft a QB and give him the reins in year 1 or 2. I have zero interest in having more cap money but losing games because we have the worst QB in almost every game we play.

We have had cap space for years. We could have signed virtually anyone we wanted this year by getting those 3 deals done. The Joneses do mot believe in free agency. So I’m not worrying about the CAP.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I hear and agree with @Reality and @CowboysFaninHouston . I truly believe the NFL needs to put a cap on the amount paid for franchise QBs. That might help every team keep more talent and make the game more competitive.
Every team can't keep more talent. There is limited amount of talent. That is the whole point of the salary cap.

Last edited:

speedkilz88

Reaction score

QBs worth keeping are going to get a certain percentage of the cap. That's just how much the cap is at now.

CWR

Reaction score

Totally agree. Love is the one I'd think most likely to return some value, but he has to do it one more year before I'd feel comfortable.

I remember saying the same thing about Hurts 2 years ago.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
That would do the opposite of making the league more competitive. What you’re laboring for is the Chiefs/Ravens/Bills to gain a ton of cap space and the 49ers to get a huge discount on Purdy’s contract.

Giant QB deals create balance because the teams that have QBs worth them are penalized to allow team that don’t the ability to compete.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That would do the opposite of making the league more competitive. What you’re laboring for is the Chiefs/Ravens/Bills to gain a ton of cap space and the 49ers to get a huge discount on Purdy’s contract.

Giant QB deals create balance because the teams that have QBs worth them are penalized to allow team that don’t the ability to compete.
You're thinking of the immediate impact concerning young QBs still on their rookie contract. I'm thinking long term once the big contracts fall into play. Put a cap on the post-rookie contract QB position, it would open up more money available for other positions.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You're thinking of the immediate impact concerning young QBs still on their rookie contract. I'm thinking long term once the big contracts fall into play. Put a cap on the post-rookie contract QB position, it would open up more money available for other positions.
So basically all the top QB's would be paid the same.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
You’re just fantasizing about ways the league can save the Cowboys from their owner’s inability to handle roster building in the salary cap era. The players association is never going to accept further caps of any kind. They will, like the owners, as always, seek increase in the mandated minimum player salary. That is where the votes are for ratifying a new CBA. The Cowboys can pay Dak or not pay Dak. But dreaming the league and players will step in and save the Cowboys from their owner is nonsense. Cowboys fans hope for the Cowboys, Jerry Jones owns the Cowboys. Jerry gets to do what he wants. Cowboys fans get to watch him do what he wants.