Spotrac's projected QB extensions based on calculated market value; What is Dak's?

Flamma

Reaction score
its the QB market. limited supply. thus price goes up. so teams tend to over draft and pay more than any other position.

fans value of a QB is irrelevant. the question is what's the alternative? and with the alternative what's the outcome.

I am a 1000% sure somebody is going to say Rush went 5-1. guaranteed.
What's the alternative to what? Derrick Carr got a 37M dollar a year contract from the Saints. They have zero chance at getting to a SB. The alternative with someone worse is zero chance at winning or getting to a SB. Owners will pay a vagrant off the street 40M a year if he can get their team to the playoffs. That's how they make their money. But I would think a fan would want to win a championship.

Flamma

Reaction score
You could make an argument that each one of those QBs is better and/or has more upside than Dak.
Sure, on their rookie deals. But not after you pay them. Lawrence, he had that one great comeback in the playoffs against the Chargers. Tua and Love look slightly better than average. They are QBs you pay to keep the money flowing. Not win a championship.

Flamma

Reaction score
No, just a cap limit or % of your cap space.
As much as I love the idea. I'm not for making rules to save you from yourself. How about they don't count QB contracts against the cap? They won't do that because it will cost them more.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You’re just fantasizing about ways the league can save the Cowboys from their owner’s inability to handle roster building in the salary cap era. The players association is never going to accept further caps of any kind. They will, like the owners, as always, seek increase in the mandated minimum player salary. That is where the votes are for ratifying a new CBA. The Cowboys can pay Dak or not pay Dak. But dreaming the league and players will step in and save the Cowboys from their owner is nonsense. Cowboys fans hope for the Cowboys, Jerry Jones owns the Cowboys. Jerry gets to do what he wants. Cowboys fans get to watch him do what he wants.
First of all, if you don't want a QB cap, why have a team salary cap where a QB's yearly market cost keeps increasing beyond the pace a team's salary cap space gets increased (or not) every 2 - 4 years.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
As much as I love the idea. I'm not for making rules to save you from yourself. How about they don't count QB contracts against the cap? They won't do that because it will cost them more.
Ok, so why have a salary cap then? Why was it ever started back in the mid 90s?

Flamma

Reaction score
First of all, if you don't want a QB cap, why have a team salary cap where a QB's yearly market cost keeps increasing beyond the pace a team's salary cap space gets increased (or not) every 2 - 4 years.
At the moment, paying a QB is the better choice for most teams than moving on, right? It stops when it no longer becomes the better choice. You don't need a QB cap.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Regardless of any cap changes/restrictions GM Jethro would still screw it up.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Every team has the same cap space.
Right but the ever increasing cost of QBs on a yearly basis keeps increasing at a rate much higher than team salary cap increases every 2+ years. Eventually you start having less space available for other positions. These owners wanting to 1-up each other on ever increasing overpaying QBs every year is counterintuitive to why a salary cap was initially started.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Ok, so why have a salary cap then? Why was it ever started back in the mid 90s?
From Wikipedia.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap

"Several sports leagues have implemented salary caps (mostly Closed leagues), using them to keep overall costs down, and also to maintain a competitive balance by restricting richer clubs from entrenching dominance by signing many more top players than their rivals."

If I remember correctly, Jerry had a hand in getting it started in 1994 to keep costs down. But the bolded part? That's where Jerry essentially screwed himself over when the salary cap started and he hasn't been able to dig himself out of that hole since.

Now that I think about it, maybe this is another reason Jimmy Johnson left the team - he knew how crippling the salary cap was going to be.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Right but the ever increasing cost of QBs on a yearly basis keeps increasing at a rate much higher than team salary cap increases every 2+ years. Eventually you start having less space available for other positions. These owners wanting to 1-up each other on ever increasing overpaying QBs every year is counterintuitive to why a salary cap was initially started.
That is the GM's choice. I am sure some of our fans would be comfortable paying Mahomes $150M/year.

Especially since the QB is the only thing that matters.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
That is the GM's choice. I am sure some of our fans would be comfortable paying Mahomes $150M/year.

Especially since the QB is the only thing that matters.
Look what Mahomes has accomplished, that's why you pay him what you do. What has Dak done to be paid in the same ballpark or possibly higher? That's been my main gripe with Dak. He wants to be paid like he's a Tom Brady, but performs more like a Kirk Cousins and much worse at times. At least go out and put some skins on the wall before demanding to break the bank.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
I hear and agree with @Reality and @CowboysFaninHouston . I truly believe the NFL needs to put a cap on the amount paid for franchise QBs. That might help every team keep more talent and make the game more competitive.
No that helps morons like the Jones’ who don’t understand how to structure contracts and the value of signing players early.
Nothing is stopping a team from tying salary to a % of the cap but teams know the cap is going up quickly so they won’t do that.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Look what Mahomes has accomplished, that's why you pay him what you do. What has Dak done to be paid in the same ballpark or possibly higher? That's been my main gripe with Dak. He wants to be paid like he's a Tom Brady, but performs more like a Kirk Cousins and much worse at times. At least go out and put some skins on the wall before demanding to break the bank.
It's not even fair to compare anyone else to the Mahomes contract. That dude is way underpaid compared to the rest of the league already. 10 years at $45 per? He's basically making Daniel Jones money per year and spread across 10 years KC has so much cap flex.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No that helps morons like the Jones’ who don’t understand how to structure contracts and the value of signing players early.
Nothing is stopping a team from tying salary to a % of the cap but teams know the cap is going up quickly so they won’t do that.
It's more like players and their greedy agents know that. Aren't they the ones who keep running the costs for retaining such franchise QBs higher every year?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
That number for all those QBs seems a little low to me. I would have to believe that if Dak was willing to sign for $50M per the deal would already be done.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The salary cap is an agreement between the owners and the players’ union (NFLPA). It can’t exist in the United States outside of a collective bargaining agreement. The players are not going to concern themselves with the fortunes of 20 to 30 players. They’ll concentrate their efforts on the thousands of players, over the course of an agreement, that play for the minimum and whose careers last an average of fewer than three years. The players union, like all unions, have a duty to the majority of their members. They are not going to bargain separately for a select few lest they find themselves in front of a Federal Labor Board. Forget the idea of getting Dak Prescott signing for less than some NFL ownership group is willing to pay him. CeeDee isn’t going to. Micah isn’t going to. Watson didn’t. Burrow didn’t. Herbert didn’t. A.J. Brown didn’t. Do you see how it works? And the players hire agents to represent them. They pay, generally, 3% of the value of the contract to their agent. They expect their agents to live up to the agreements they sign. The NFLPA certifies agents. An agent that short sells his client will lose that certification in a heartbeat. And the CBA mandates a player using a certified agent may not directly negotiate with a team’s owner. And the owners know they may not negotiate directly with a player represented by an NFLPA certified agent. Todd France is certified by the NFLPA. He isn’t going to risk his career short selling Dak or any other client because Jerry Jones is old and/or has had too much Johnnie Walker Blue. Someday Jerry will have passed away, Dak’s career will be long over, and Todd France expects to still be representing professional athletes in contract negotiations. He isn’t going to forfeit his professionalism or fiduciary duties to put an end to the incessant whining of Cowboys fans who dream of trades for a haul of draft picks or discounts from their starting quarterback in contract negotiations. When Dak Prescott is offered a deal he wants he’ll sign it. For Dak, unlike Cowboys fans, it’s not personal. It’s not personal to Jerry Jones, either.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's not even fair to compare anyone else to the Mahomes contract. That dude is way underpaid compared to the rest of the league already. 10 years at $45 per? He's basically making Daniel Jones money per year and spread across 10 years KC has so much cap flex.
Mahomes is schedule to make $66M in 2025, $68M in 2026, $64M in 2027.