News: Spun: Troy Aikman Identifies Simple Reason Cowboys Have Struggled In Postseason

Diehardblues

Reaction score
the players are and should be held accountable. unfortunately on this board, a small group are focused on Dak and flood the board with Dak related topics and blames.

however, in the game last year, our OL didn't play well. most of the game SF was able to create pressure with front 4 or 5 and drop 6 or 7 into coverage. that take a lot of passing lanes away. Lamb was blanketed most of the game and Gallup was ineffective as he had been all year. Brown was brown. a JAG, 5th or 6th guy on the depth chart who had to play meaningful snaps and was easily taken out, as he had trouble getting separation (his career calling card). Not sure why but Schultz just disappeared. I watched a lot of the film and he was easily taken out of the game and wasn't the release valve he needed to be. Losing Pollard hurt, as SF just wasn't worried about Zeke.

On defense we had opportunities and we missed. Diggs probably had one of his worst games. missing an easy tackle allowing a long completion to keep a drive alive and dropped a sure interception to end a drive inside 20.

so Dak didn't have his best game, those two interceptions were bad. nobody else played well. defense over all did well, but missed key opportunities were SF played well and cashed in those key opportunities.
I’d agree . So we didn’t perform our best on the bigger stage . And our opponent probably had something to do with that.

Which would fall more into what I’m saying. It’s partly we aren’t playing our best ball on bigger stages and we face teams which are more talented at least in key areas which expose our weaknesses.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's a mix of talent and coaching. We've spent the past decade with coaches in training at both the HC and the OC position. We've also constructed teams that while they have some solid talent on it, clearly have holes at key positions and it shows when we go against tough teams in the playoffs.

We've literally changed EVERYTHING on the team from coaches to talent and to the same results. Everything except the FO. It's clear where the problem is. They've been making a bit more sensible decisions lately, but they're still cheaping out and the team still has holes in it that will rear themselves when we play a team like the 49ers. What are we going to do about kicker, O line and runningback? Or do we think our O line will stay healthy the whole year? Are we assuming Pollard is going to carry MORE load than last year despite coming back from a broken leg? These are clear problems that won't be addressed and when it all falls down in the playoffs, we'll hear the same song and dance.
Well done !

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I only read the first paragraph, because that's all I needed to read. You're not missing anything. I'll paraphrase it for you. They're a good team, just not playing their best football when it matters most. I like Troy, I really do. But is a comment like that news worthy to you? Would you bother to print that?

The real reason is the team hasn't been good enough. The last time they were a true disappointment was in 2007. Since then, in order to do any better, they would have had to exceed expectations. Troy is just giving the safe answer.
Yea, while Troy is partially correct in that we aren’t playing our best performance on these bigger stages our opponents strength and talent have something to do with that.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It’s starts upfront. Mazi and Junior help the defensive line and the health of Tyron /Steele could gives us one of the best offensive lines in the league. Don’t underestimate our skill players on offense and back seven on defense. We have enough for a Super Bowl run.

phildadon86

Reaction score
"They haven't done anything to make the line better on offense..." Hmmmmm

2020 - 3rd round pick Neville Gallimore, played in 35 games, started 14 games
2020 - trade up in 4th round to draft Center Tyler Biadasz - immediate starter, and Pro Bowl in 2023
2020 - 5th round pick Bradlee Anae, played in 11 games
2020 - sign and develop rookie free agent Terence Steele - widely considered an excellent run blocker (maybe the best on the Cowboys Oline) and developing his pass blocking skills. Top half Right tackle in the NFL in 2023.

2021 - 1st round pick Micah Parsons
2021 - two 3rd round picks for defensive tacklers Osa Odighizuwa (now a starting 3-tech) and Chancey Golston.
2021 - 4th round pick OT Josh Ball - now converted to OG since he wasn't working out at OT - though not for a lack of trying.
2021 - 7th round pick OG Matt Farniok - has played in 19 games to help him develop, and started 2 games in 2022.
2021 - 6th round pick on 1-tech DT Quinton Bohanna - played in 27 games and started 10 games in two season, including 9 starts last season.

2022 - cut loose La'el Collins in the offseason.
2022 - 1st round pick on OT Tyler Smith, started 17 games in 2022 at Left Tackle
2022 - 2nd round pick on DE Sam Williams - 4 sacks, 1 forced fumble, and 10 TFL in limited playing time as 5th DE on team behind Parsons Lawrence, Armstrong, and Fowler
2022 - 5th round pick on OT Matt Waletzo - spent rookie season on IR - ability unknown at this point.
2022 - 5th round pick on 1-tech DT John Ridgeway - plucked off waiver by Commanders when the Cowboys tried to put him on the Practice Squad. Started 4 games for the Commanders in 2022.
2022 - signed rookie free agent Alec Lindstrom ($12,500 signing bonus), on practice squad all season
2022 - traded for DT Johnathan Hankins (former 2nd round pick) from Raiders

2023 - signed veteran free agent Chuma Edoga - former Jets 3rd round pick to play OG.
2023 - 1st round pick on 1-tech DT Mazi Smith - expected to start
2023 - 4th round pick DE Viliami Fehoko - Cowboys expect to transition him to 3-tech DT.
2023 - 5th round pick OT Asim Richards - Cowboys expect to transition him to Guard.
2023 - signed premium rookie free agent OG T.J. Bass ($150K guaranteed)
2023 - signed premium rookie free agent OT Earl Bostick ($220K guaranteed)
2023 - signed premium rookie free agent DE Tyrus Wheat ($185K guaranteed)

So, in the last 4 offseasons:

Offensive line resources spent - one veteran free agent signed, 1st round pick, two 4th round picks, two 5th round picks, 7th round pick, 4 premium undrafted free agents resulting in a three new starting offensive linemen (Biadasz, Steele & Smith) - one of whom has received Pro Bowl honors, plus multiple backup players (Ball, Waletzo, Lindstrom, Edoga (former 3rd round pick), Bass & Bostick).

"They haven't done anything to make the line better on offense..." Really? 3 new offensive line starters in the previous 3 seasons, but "haven't done anything?"

Also, they spent 7 draft picks for Defensive Tackles (Gallimore, Odighizuwa, Golston, Bohanna, Ridgeway, Smith, Fehoko), and traded for another former 2nd round pick (Hankins). They are also giving Isaac Alarcon a shot a DT, who has formerly been playing on the offensive line.

They spent 1st round pick (Parsons), 2nd round pick (Williams) and 5th round pick (Anae) on Defensive Ends, and signed 3 veteran free agents including two former 1st round picks (Fowler, McKinley) and a former 2nd round pick (Benogu) to go along with starters Armstrong and Lawrence. They also guaranteed premium rookie free agent Tyrus Wheat $185K to sign with them this year.

I have to wonder what you expect them to do, if you think "they haven't done anything to make the line better on offense."
It’s funny that you went on this tirade bringing up the defensive starters.

We lost mcgovern. I’m speaking about this off-season. Our line is not a strength. I expect them to replace a starting LG and not pray that tyron stays healthy

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yea, he played his best in that playoff game . Did he in SF? And did the rest of the team?
Well did you expect them to? Tampa defense is a far cry from the SF defense and in SF.
#1 defense in the NFL. #1. Not #2, but #1. Convenient how so many gloss over that. And without Pollard? And then we throw in the kicker problem. With kicker missing his 7th extra point in a row? At that point the HC had lost all confidence in the kicker to even make a FG. So they kept going for it on 4th down while in FG range. Which lead to Dak forcing the ball, which partially lead to a pick. It all matters.

Then if course the Oline and lack of passing weapons issues.

AGAINST THE #1 D IN THE NFL!

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Our "stars" don't seem to be as good as the other team "stars" once the playoffs roll around. And by starts I mean Fat Zeke, Dak and D Flaw. Diggs is pushing to make his way onto the list as well.

rambo2

Reaction score
"They haven't done anything to make the line better on offense..." Hmmmmm

2020 - 3rd round pick Neville Gallimore, played in 35 games, started 14 games
2020 - trade up in 4th round to draft Center Tyler Biadasz - immediate starter, and Pro Bowl in 2023
2020 - 5th round pick Bradlee Anae, played in 11 games
2020 - sign and develop rookie free agent Terence Steele - widely considered an excellent run blocker (maybe the best on the Cowboys Oline) and developing his pass blocking skills. Top half Right tackle in the NFL in 2023.

2021 - 1st round pick Micah Parsons
2021 - two 3rd round picks for defensive tacklers Osa Odighizuwa (now a starting 3-tech) and Chancey Golston.
2021 - 4th round pick OT Josh Ball - now converted to OG since he wasn't working out at OT - though not for a lack of trying.
2021 - 7th round pick OG Matt Farniok - has played in 19 games to help him develop, and started 2 games in 2022.
2021 - 6th round pick on 1-tech DT Quinton Bohanna - played in 27 games and started 10 games in two season, including 9 starts last season.

2022 - cut loose La'el Collins in the offseason.
2022 - 1st round pick on OT Tyler Smith, started 17 games in 2022 at Left Tackle
2022 - 2nd round pick on DE Sam Williams - 4 sacks, 1 forced fumble, and 10 TFL in limited playing time as 5th DE on team behind Parsons Lawrence, Armstrong, and Fowler
2022 - 5th round pick on OT Matt Waletzo - spent rookie season on IR - ability unknown at this point.
2022 - 5th round pick on 1-tech DT John Ridgeway - plucked off waiver by Commanders when the Cowboys tried to put him on the Practice Squad. Started 4 games for the Commanders in 2022.
2022 - signed rookie free agent Alec Lindstrom ($12,500 signing bonus), on practice squad all season
2022 - traded for DT Johnathan Hankins (former 2nd round pick) from Raiders

2023 - signed veteran free agent Chuma Edoga - former Jets 3rd round pick to play OG.
2023 - 1st round pick on 1-tech DT Mazi Smith - expected to start
2023 - 4th round pick DE Viliami Fehoko - Cowboys expect to transition him to 3-tech DT.
2023 - 5th round pick OT Asim Richards - Cowboys expect to transition him to Guard.
2023 - signed premium rookie free agent OG T.J. Bass ($150K guaranteed)
2023 - signed premium rookie free agent OT Earl Bostick ($220K guaranteed)
2023 - signed premium rookie free agent DE Tyrus Wheat ($185K guaranteed)

So, in the last 4 offseasons:

Offensive line resources spent - one veteran free agent signed, 1st round pick, two 4th round picks, two 5th round picks, 7th round pick, 4 premium undrafted free agents resulting in a three new starting offensive linemen (Biadasz, Steele & Smith) - one of whom has received Pro Bowl honors, plus multiple backup players (Ball, Waletzo, Lindstrom, Edoga (former 3rd round pick), Bass & Bostick).

"They haven't done anything to make the line better on offense..." Really? 3 new offensive line starters in the previous 3 seasons, but "haven't done anything?"

Also, they spent 7 draft picks for Defensive Tackles (Gallimore, Odighizuwa, Golston, Bohanna, Ridgeway, Smith, Fehoko), and traded for another former 2nd round pick (Hankins). They are also giving Isaac Alarcon a shot a DT, who has formerly been playing on the offensive line.

They spent 1st round pick (Parsons), 2nd round pick (Williams) and 5th round pick (Anae) on Defensive Ends, and signed 3 veteran free agents including two former 1st round picks (Fowler, McKinley) and a former 2nd round pick (Benogu) to go along with starters Armstrong and Lawrence. They also guaranteed premium rookie free agent Tyrus Wheat $185K to sign with them this year.

I have to wonder what you expect them to do, if you think "they haven't done anything to make the line better on offense."
No wonder that they are a top 6 team in the entire league and look like they can win 12 games for the 3rd year in a row.

rambo2

Reaction score
It's a mix of talent and coaching. We've spent the past decade with coaches in training at both the HC and the OC position. We've also constructed teams that while they have some solid talent on it, clearly have holes at key positions and it shows when we go against tough teams in the playoffs.

We've literally changed EVERYTHING on the team from coaches to talent and to the same results. Everything except the FO. It's clear where the problem is. They've been making a bit more sensible decisions lately, but they're still cheaping out and the team still has holes in it that will rear themselves when we play a team like the 49ers. What are we going to do about kicker, O line and runningback? Or do we think our O line will stay healthy the whole year? Are we assuming Pollard is going to carry MORE load than last year despite coming back from a broken leg? These are clear problems that won't be addressed and when it all falls down in the playoffs, we'll hear the same song and dance.
Realistically they have done a good job of building a team that can compete for a championship this year.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Thanks Troy. :oops:

"They are really good, and they've got really good players," Aikman told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "The organization has done a fantastic job. I think the coaches have done a great job. The players. All of it. They have won a lot of games. The problem for them, and they don't need me to tell them this, they just have not played their best football when the games have mattered the most."
Wonder who he was talking to.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yep, Dak didn't play well enough. That was disappointing, but also expected.

When you're on the road against the #1 defense in football, and you're a very-good-but-not-elite QB, you're usually going to struggle... especially when your only explosive RB goes down.

The 49ers were favorites to win for a reason. They simply had the better, more talented team. Especially up front.
The excuses for failure that you have learned to accept is actually quite disturbing.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Situational football drives me up a wall

its literally common football sense......idk how many times over the years we wouldnt attack an opponents weakness

and then get cute at the goal line by going shotgun 3 times in a row

situational awareness has been the death of this team since 2007
This..... we dont scheme teams when its JG/KM "We do what we do" when you run up against a better team then the whole "Beat the man in front of you" scheme seems to not work.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
AC has to do that, Dak is his idol so what do you expect. Dak fan always put down other players to prop up the stiff.
Hey, baloney, bro. I bash Dak when he deserves it. I'm simply stating facts. Look at Troy's career stats. He struggled badly early and the later half of his career when he didn't have the best talent money could buy.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AikmTr00.htm

It's the exact same thing that happened to Dak and team last season.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
No, you simply can't handle the facts bro. I'm starting to realize that about you. Smh
Ask yourself what kind of opinion will you have 3 years from now.

Its a hard thing to do, I'm not trying to be condescending here just asking you an honest question because we have posted for years together.

Your eyes have seen the same as mine over that time, and I know what I see and believe in it, even when it isn't positive.

At the very best this team has to spring superstars more than we have now to sustain this teams largest weakness, and it can happen, but a symbiotic relationship is not only respected but needed.